WI President John Glenn

In the early 1980s former Mercury astronaut and US Senator, John Glenn decided to run for President of the United States.Unfortunately he was forced to withdraw his candidacy after slipping and cutting his head quite badly in the shower. What if, after withdrawing from the race, Glenn recovered and decided to run again in 4 years. What would his presidencey be like.

Xen

Banned
Hmmm! Running in 1984 against a popular Reagan might not be such a good thing for Glenn. Remember Reagan only lost D.C. and Minnesota, thats rather impressive. I really dont know if Glenn would have been able to stop a Reagan victory, he could probably snatch a few more states though.

What if he didn't fall in the shower in 1980 and went on to wrestle the democratic nomination from Carter? We could see the Democrats being split between those who support Carter and those who support Glenn, but lets assume Carter accepts his ousting and throws his weight behind Glenn, just for the sake of the timeline. It is possible he could have defeated Reagan in 1980.

Perhaps the Democratic ticket will be John Carter/Jerry Brown -vs- Ronald Reagan/George H.W. Bush or Bob Dole.

Ok, so say he waits until the '92 election so that he doesn't have deal with a strong and popular Regan. Would his record as a veteran of two wars, retired astronaut and US Senator allow him to steal the Democratic ticket from Bill Clinton?

It's just possible Glenn might have been able to elbow Clinton aside--although Billy Jeff would likely have been named Glenn's running mate (though probably with a few rather stern admonitions about keeping his pants zipped: the former Marine/test pilot was pretty much a straight arrow of the first order).

We could have done worse than John Glenn in the White House, I have to say. Glenn would probably have not contributed to the scaling-back of US intelligence as did the Clinton administration. In fact, it may not be too much of a stretch to view Glenn as sort of a Democrats' answer to Ike. (Billy Jeff as the analog of Nixon? Well, if you consider the way Billy Jeff uses...what's the best phrase...an accommodating definition of truth, that may not be too far-fetched either.)

1940LaSalle said:
It's just possible Glenn might have been able to elbow Clinton aside--although Billy Jeff would likely have been named Glenn's running mate (though probably with a few rather stern admonitions about keeping his pants zipped: the former Marine/test pilot was pretty much a straight arrow of the first order).

Why would he even take the chance on Clinton then?

Aldroud

Banned
John Glenn for President? I'd have to cross party lines and vote for him. He'd be the first Democrate I'd have ever voted for, but I'd do it no questions asked.

Heck, if he uses the powers of the Presidency to get himself another shuttle ride into space, more power to him!

Wow. First President in Space. That would be really cool. Think the thing that hurt him though was some sort of scandle in the late 80's or early 90's. I'm thinking it was part of the savings and loan crash. Does anyone else remember that?

Mike Stearns said:

Clinton is, after all, a master (got to give the devil his due) at campaigning, working crowds, and fund-raising: he's a consummate PR flack. Never forget Dirksen's first two laws: (1) get elected; (2) get re-elected. Clinton, liability though he might have been hormonally speaking, would have allowed Glenn to accomplish both: sort of insurance along the same lines as Nixon in '52 and '56.

Uhm. I think no-one mentioned Glenn running for USA President in 1988? I believe that would be the best time for him to do so...

Some have speculated how John Glen might have done in 1980 against Ronald Reagan.

After four years under Jimmy Carter, given the mood of the country as a whole at that time, I'm not sure any Democrat could have won in 1980, and certainly not against a Republican like Ronald Reagan. The country was just ripe for the kind of change that a very conservative Republican like Reagan was offering.

Tizoc said:
Uhm. I think no-one mentioned Glenn running for USA President in 1988? I believe that would be the best time for him to do so...

He ran in 1983. Its in his book and on wiki.

And no it would be the best time because he'd be running against the VP of a popular outgoing President. The best time for Glenn to run would be 1992 because Bush wasn't as well liked then. Also Glenn could let his record speak for him.

Last edited:

Anaxagoras

Banned
Many people believe that it was the threat of a John Glenn candidacy which prompted Reagan to push for a "Space Station Freedom" in his 1983 State of the Union Address.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Mike Stearns said:

Probably. By all accounts, Clinton and Glenn got along quite well (then again, Clinton got on personally very well with neatly everyone, even his political opponents).

Clinton succeeded in keeping the more Liberal Wing of the Democratic Party in a sort of twilight sleep. I don't see Glenn pulling ( could see some deriding him as being the "Last Scoop Jackson Democrat") that off so internal party tensions would increase. Clinton being VP is a 2:1 chance (the leading challenger becoming the VP is never automatic) Clinton would be initially on very good terms with President Glenn but eventually I see Glenn viewing Clinton as grandstanding and phony and after the midterm losses a chill would creep in. Hillary's attempts to be helpful will achieve the reverse effect.

I could see him waiting until 1988 to run against George HW Bush, getting the Dems nomination, and winning a very close election. President Glenn probably goes to war with Iraq after they conquer Kuwait, but loses the 1992 election to Republican Richard Lugar. President Lugar wins reelection in 1996, but the Republicans lose the 2000 election to Democrat Bill Bradley.

Tom_B said:
Clinton succeeded in keeping the more Liberal Wing of the Democratic Party in a sort of twilight sleep. I don't see Glenn pulling ( could see some deriding him as being the "Last Scoop Jackson Democrat") that off so internal party tensions would increase. Clinton being VP is a 2:1 chance (the leading challenger becoming the VP is never automatic) Clinton would be initially on very good terms with President Glenn but eventually I see Glenn viewing Clinton as grandstanding and phony and after the midterm losses a chill would creep in. Hillary's attempts to be helpful will achieve the reverse effect.
So, dump Clinton in 1996...I do like the Glenn-Clinton idea for 1992. This could change the make up of the Congress, and eventually, of the parties. Maybe the Greens grow stronger, or the Democrats split in two later on?

Anaxagoras said:
Many people believe that it was the threat of a John Glenn candidacy which prompted Reagan to push for a "Space Station Freedom" in his 1983 State of the Union Address.

I didn't know that. Where did you hear that?

Xen said:
Dont know if Glenn could have won in 1976, but he could have probably crushed Bush in 1988

I agree. I don't know if he could have won in 76, and I think that 88 is also iffy, but if his strategy was to run his record, then I'd say that he has an excellent shot of winning.