WI Pope popularly elected

NapoleonXIV said:
WI the Popes were elected by all the Catholics instead of just the Cardinals? How would history be changed?
I would call this ASB most likely... But when does this start to happen? I don't think it can really happen in the beginning of the Church, where Christians would be too persecuted to all gather in a place to Vote, and would be an easy target...

Well, early Bishops were elected by their congregation. And the Pope is the Bishop of Rome...

But I'd still say its unlikely.

well not all the indian vote (what is the % of the contry who is bellow the voting age) and not all who can vote do

MrP

Banned
Well, in fairness, not all of the world's Catholics would be above the voting age either.

oh come on guys, its easy. i'll make it short. have a more successful hre emperor bind the church to the state. eventually in the time of revolutions, the emperor, the legislate, and the church are all democratically elected.

I don't think a revolution in the Catholic church would create an elected pope. Last time they tried that, the revolutionaries ended up with no pope.

The tradition I see as more viable is episcopal elections. Before the patriarchies arrogated the right to select bishops, they were chosen by the community, mostly in an informal process based on the Roman formula of pre-selection, insider vote, and popular acclamation, augmented by confirmation through senior bishops at some point. A similar process held in Rome until the middle ages and might well continue if the papacy is less successful in building its political power base. Then, once it is formalised, it may become more like an election (albeit a popular, not likely a democratic, free, fair or equal one).