WI: Poland and Lithuania Remain Separate

By this question, I don't mean that Wladyslaw Jagiello never becomes king of Poland, but rather that the thrones remain independent of one another rather than in the PU of OTL.

There were several instances where this could've happened, but fortunately/unfortunately in all the instances, the grand duke of Lithuania became king of Poland.

The first was the partition after the death of Wladyslaw Jagiello. His eldest son, Wladyslaw III, got the throne of Poland, and his younger son, Casimir, became grand duke of Lithuania. Unfortunately, Wladyslaw III was killed at Varna without issue and so Grand Duke Casimir became King Casimir IV.

In the 1480s, that same Casimir again attempted to split his crowns, in 1483, nominating his fourth son, Alexander, to the Lithuanian throne. Alexander married Elena Ivanovna of Russia (with prior engagements to both Elisabeth of Denmark and Anna of Brandenburg IIRC), and the stage seemed to set for a Lithuanian breakaway. Sadly, not only did @Jan Olbracht die before he could marry and leave issue (assuming he ever intended to do either)- which led to Alexander becoming king of Poland- but both of Elena's pregnancies ended in miscarriage.

ISTR that, there was talk that @Zygmunt Stary wanted to become grand duke of Lithuania- once Alexander became king of Poland- and could've potentially sired a cadet line (assuming Elena carried a pregnancy to term that was both male and survived infancy).

But what would've been the ramifications of Poland and Lithuania remaining as independent lines under the same family- rather like the Bourbons in France and Spain, or Spain and Naples (hopefully without all the inbreeding)? How would Lithuania have developed separately from Poland? Could it have withstood Russia on its own? Or would it have eventually been gobbled up as Poland was OTL.

@Augenis @raharris1973 @marcinL @Valena

The first was the partition after the death of Wladyslaw Jagiello. His eldest son, Wladyslaw III, got the throne of Poland, and his younger son, Casimir, became grand duke of Lithuania. Unfortunately, Wladyslaw III was killed at Varna without issue and so Grand Duke Casimir became King Casimir IV.

Casimir didn't become Grand Duke of Lithuania per se, but usurped the throne against his brother's wishes who sent him as governor, equal to governors Greater Poland and Lesser Poland received, had he survived, there would be Polish-Lithuanian War and I wouldn't bet on Lithuania winning it.

Sadly, not only did @Jan Olbracht die before he could marry and leave issue (assuming he ever intended to do either)- which led to Alexander becoming king of Poland- but both of Elena's pregnancies ended in miscarriage.

If you want Jagiellon Poland and Lithuania remaining separate, your best bet is John Albert and Alexander both having kids, Poland would be at best mid-tier power, while Lithuania would be reduced to puppet state of Moscow at best (I imagine Muscovites being merciful enough to leave Lithuania propria as vassal while taking Ruthenian lands) or outright gobbled up. Damage was done already, it was not Vitold's time when Lithuania could hold on their own.

BTW while Aleksander was Grand Duke of Lithuania, Jan Olbracht titled himself Supreme Duke of Lithuania (like his grandfather Jogaila did when Vytautas was Grand Duke).

Casimir didn't become Grand Duke of Lithuania per se, but usurped the throne against his brother's wishes who sent him as governor, equal to governors Greater Poland and Lesser Poland received, had he survived, there would be Polish-Lithuanian War and I wouldn't bet on Lithuania winning it.
Lithuanians might have had another opinion on that, and I am afraid it's the only one that mattered

Lithuanians might have had another opinion on that, and I am afraid it's the only one that mattered

Well, it would matter if it would lead to Polish-Lithuanian war, and that was what Vladislaus III explicitly told in his lists he wants to do when he will go back from Hungary.

By this question, I don't mean that Wladyslaw Jagiello never becomes king of Poland, but rather that the thrones remain independent of one another rather than in the PU of OTL.

There were several instances where this could've happened, but fortunately/unfortunately in all the instances, the grand duke of Lithuania became king of Poland.

In the 1480s, that same Casimir again attempted to split his crowns, in 1483, nominating his fourth son, Alexander, to the Lithuanian throne. Alexander married Elena Ivanovna of Russia (with prior engagements to both Elisabeth of Denmark and Anna of Brandenburg IIRC), and the stage seemed to set for a Lithuanian breakaway. Sadly, not only did @Jan Olbracht die before he could marry and leave issue (assuming he ever intended to do either)- which led to Alexander becoming king of Poland- but both of Elena's pregnancies ended in miscarriage.

ISTR that, there was talk that @Zygmunt Stary wanted to become grand duke of Lithuania- once Alexander became king of Poland- and could've potentially sired a cadet line (assuming Elena carried a pregnancy to term that was both male and survived infancy).

But what would've been the ramifications of Poland and Lithuania remaining as independent lines under the same family- rather like the Bourbons in France and Spain, or Spain and Naples (hopefully without all the inbreeding)? How would Lithuania have developed separately from Poland? Could it have withstood Russia on its own? Or would it have eventually been gobbled up as Poland was OTL.

@Augenis @raharris1973 @marcinL @Valena
My guess is Russia rises earlier thanks to the conflict between Poland and Lithuania and the Teutonic & Livonian Order remains more powerful than OTL.

My guess is Russia rises earlier thanks to the conflict between Poland and Lithuania and the Teutonic & Livonian Order remains more powerful than OTL.

If Russia rises earlier, Livonian Order is going to be gobbled up as well, it's no coincidence that unlike Prussian branch it tended to be pro-Jagiellon.

If Russia rises earlier, Livonian Order is going to be gobbled up as well, it's no coincidence that unlike Prussian branch it tended to be pro-Jagiellon.
In the sense that Russia conquers Lithuanian lands earlier, the Teutonic & Livonian orders would in my opinion last a century more than OTL as a regional power in the Baltic as they will just come at blows with everyone in their entourage.

In the sense that Russia conquers Lithuanian lands earlier, the Teutonic & Livonian orders would in my opinion last a century more than OTL as a regional power in the Baltic as they will just come at blows with everyone in their entourage.

No, if Russia conquers Lithuania earlier it is completely free to steamroll Livonia as well.

Poland is physically unable to invade and dethrone/conquer Lithuania, which is why they historically didn't during the Švitrigaila episode, they backed Žygimantas and ultimately got him to expel Švitrigaila for them, with their support.

This would effectively be a repeat of 1431. Border clashes, Polish advance into border regions, then, fearful that this could push Lithuania into a wider anti-Polish coalition (such as with the Empire, or the Order, or whoever) they find someone who would do the fighting for them. Or, perhaps, they make a deal with the Lithuanian nobility that is reminiscent of the Casimir Privileges after 1444/the terms between Jogaila and Vytautas in various treaties. Separate rulers, separate courts, separate institutions, but officially recognize higher Polish status.

Which would still split the Jagiellon line into two branches, assuming Wladyslaw gets children and there isn't a freak occurrence that causes a personal reunion.

This would effectively be a repeat of 1431. Border clashes, Polish advance into border regions, then, fearful that this could push Lithuania into a wider anti-Polish coalition (such as with the Empire, or the Order, or whoever) they find someone who would do the fighting for them. Or, perhaps, they make a deal with the Lithuanian nobility that is reminiscent of the Casimir Privileges after 1444/the terms between Jogaila and Vytautas in various treaties. Separate rulers, separate courts, separate institutions, but officially recognize higher Polish status.

I didn't think it would effectively conquer Lithuania, but considering that Vladislaus is king of Hungary as well (so it won't invade Poland) and Frederick III was a joke who got trampled over by Corvinus IOTL repeatedly, and well, terms accepted by Zygmunt Kiejstutowicz were a bit harsher - whole Podolia was to be ceded directly to the Crown and Zygmunt Kiejstutowicz himself had vassal relationship with Poland. I think the terms could be resolving Volhynia-Podolia dispute entirely in favour of Poland + Lithuanian vow of vassalage (so what you call "officially recognize higher Polish status"), Casimir Privileges were more lenient than that because they denied even formal Polish superiority.

In 1444 Sophia of Halshany was still alive, so she would likely mediate between her sons. I agree with Augenis, that Władysław III's decisive victory is not possible at that point.

In 1444 Sophia of Halshany was still alive, so she would likely mediate between her sons. I agree with Augenis, that Władysław III's decisive victory is not possible at that point.

It's hard to say whether mediations would suffice and well, maybe not utterly decisive victory, but repeat of 1431 would be possible.

From the moment of lasting separation.
You are expecting like after Wladislav dies in 1444 and his brother doesn't take the Polish throne, I don't think Lithuania will fall in 50 years as Russia isn't very powerful yet and even if it did it would be done by a Russo-Polish alliance and then the Poles would oppose Russian expansion just as OTL