WI Novgorod had united Russia?

Thanks to luakel for Þe idea.

Novgorod was Þe only republic out of the all Þe Russian states. What would have been Þe effects of Novgorod unifying Russia?

HueyLong

Banned
It would have become an oligarchic Russia......... that was what most medieval republics were anyways.

Hapsburg

Banned
One consquence: A Russia resembling much like Poland-Lithuania until someone took total power.
Now, how to do it? Maybe Alexander Nevsky keeps on doing the "conquering shit" thing?

Novgorod was ven a member of the Hansa at a certain time (14th or 15th century). IMO, it might be an interesting POD. Difficulties are the lack of sure borders for the republic and the greed of its neighbours.
I disagree that it would have ended into an autarchy in any case: there might be a narrow path that brings to light a kind of "United provinces of the Baltic", patterned on the Low Countries example.

Max Sinister said:
They traded with the Hanse, which had its contors there, but it's new for me that Novgorod was a member.
Looked that up a couple of weeks ago, for the TL with Shadow Knight. I'll look for the link