WI: No Union Blue?

Given all the stories about World War One and the changes in the French army away from their bright and colorful pre-war uniforms to better adapt to modern warfare, it occurred to me that the Union army during the Civil War might have also suffered because of their not very camouflage-oriented blue ones. Some preliminary digging shows that blue was a pretty traditional color for US army uniforms, but there were some pretty significant reforms and alterations in 1851 and 1858. So the basic question here is what would happen if these reforms had redesigned the uniforms with, say, green as the primary color to use for army uniforms. How much might this have helped army performance in the Civil War and other conflicts? Perhaps the answer is not much at all, either because I'm overstating the significance of the issue in general, or maybe, as these things go, the 1858 uniform wasn't actually that bad, but the contrast between the Prussian blues of the Union and the grey and browns of the Confederates couldn't help but get me thinking about the issue.

I think the tactics were more of a problem than the uniforms. The US kept the blue in their fatigues through the Spanish American war. I agree an earlier change would be interesting.

The sharpshooter units wore green and were referred to as "tree frogs" by other Union troops. The lack of camouflage was not really an issue for line troops on either side given that battles were generally fought on open fields. The sharpshooters, on the other hand, fought from concealment.

Bright colors were worn so the enemy could see you. It sounds stupid but it's true. It was an honor thing, standing a few meters infront of each other, smoke everywhere, you need to be able to see your enemy.

As Drew said, the real problem was the style of fighting. The Confederates knew this, it's one of the many reasons they won the first 2 1/2 years.

Bright colors were worn so the enemy could see you. It sounds stupid but it's true. It was an honor thing, standing a few meters infront of each other, smoke everywhere, you need to be able to see your enemy.

It was not so much so the enemy can see you but rather in the heat of battle with the smoke from cannons and rifles your side could tell you were friendly and not shoot you.

Given all the stories about World War One and the changes in the French army away from their bright and colorful pre-war uniforms to better adapt to modern warfare, it occurred to me that the Union army during the Civil War might have also suffered because of their not very camouflage-oriented blue ones. Some preliminary digging shows that blue was a pretty traditional color for US army uniforms, but there were some pretty significant reforms and alterations in 1851 and 1858. So the basic question here is what would happen if these reforms had redesigned the uniforms with, say, green as the primary color to use for army uniforms. How much might this have helped army performance in the Civil War and other conflicts? Perhaps the answer is not much at all, either because I'm overstating the significance of the issue in general, or maybe, as these things go, the 1858 uniform wasn't actually that bad, but the contrast between the Prussian blues of the Union and the grey and browns of the Confederates couldn't help but get me thinking about the issue.

No difference whatsoever, because (a) battle tactics of the time didn't include much concealment or hiding, and (b) Confederate soldiers couldn't shoot straight anyway.

It was not so much so the enemy can see you but rather in the heat of battle with the smoke from cannons and rifles your side could tell you were friendly and not shoot you.
Smokeless powder was a factor , that lead to more khaki orientated uniforms ?

If I remember right (and I may not) there was one occasion that a confederate unit got right up to Union lines because they were wearing captured uniforms. Like the Napoleonic period the danger of being attacked by your own side by mistake was probably more serious than the extra risk from being noticeable to the enemy.

If I remember right (and I may not) there was one occasion that a confederate unit got right up to Union lines because they were wearing captured uniforms. Like the Napoleonic period the danger of being attacked by your own side by mistake was probably more serious than the extra risk from being noticeable to the enemy.
They moved right infront of an unsuspecting artillery unit and took it out. Astounding is, that this tactic hadn't been practiced much often by regular armies. Or did it happen on different occasions? Maybe it was against the code of honor of regular schooled miltary officiers ?

They moved right infront of an unsuspecting artillery unit and took it out. Astounding is, that this tactic hadn't been practiced much often by regular armies. Or did it happen on different occasions? Maybe it was against the code of honor of regular schooled miltary officiers ?

IIRC the Confederates in question had just captured and looted a Union supply depot, which is where they got the uniforms from. Most armies wouldn't be able to get their enemies' uniforms in very large quantities.

Plus, armies have never liked this sort of false flag operation. Going around dressing in your enemies' uniforms would probably have been a good way peeing off said enemies enough for them to implement a "no prisoners" policy against you, which you'd probably want to avoid.

During the early parts of the war there were lots of uniform mix-ups, mostly "accidental". Some northern state/militia units wore grey, some southern uniforms blue, confusion between the US flag and stars and bars etc. There were also Zouave units north and south that looked similar. As the war went on things became much more standardized, essentially 100% in the north. The CSA had issues with providing adequate uniforms, but southern soldiers wearing enough Union kit in formations was not the case - bits and pieces.

More like against the laws of war. At the least, you could expect your enemy to possibly respond in kind, and then it's chaos.

During the early parts of the war there were lots of uniform mix-ups, mostly "accidental". Some northern state/militia units wore grey, some southern uniforms blue, confusion between the US flag and stars and bars etc. There were also Zouave units north and south that looked similar. As the war went on things became much more standardized, essentially 100% in the north. The CSA had issues with providing adequate uniforms, but southern soldiers wearing enough Union kit in formations was not the case - bits and pieces.
I saw a sample on You Tube of the Gettysburg sequel Gods and Generals, there are Southern troops in the field with 18th Century styled dress.

Wallet

Banned
Every soldier being in standard uniform, especially colorful ones, is a fear tactic. It makes the army look bigger, stronger, better led, and more capable. It raises your moral.

Ex: American Revolutionary War. Patriots fled when they saw waves of red coats coming at them. When Washington finally secured a standard good looking blue uniform for his troops, his soldiers moral's and confidence dramatically increased.

Of course British soldiers started wearing kakis and bage color clothes once you got into jungle or desert environments. Until you have white troops in exotic environments, which Americans won't be in, you aren't having proper green camo until an industrial war with automatic weapons

Of course British soldiers started wearing kakis and bage color clothes once you got into jungle or desert environments.
The Boers loved those bright red coats, so much so the brits would roll in the dirt to get a khaki outfit