WI: No Turner Classic Movies

Driftless

Donor
I watch a lot of the setups Ben Mankiewitz & Eddie Muller do just for that, & don't watch the movies at all. (Just don't tell TCM. ;))

Oh yeah, both the pop culture and movie "bidness" commentary can standalone as being worth the watch.

Oh yeah, both the pop culture and movie "bidness" commentary can standalone as being worth the watch.
Amen. And y'know what I wish they'd do? Give a critic a weekly show, to explain what critics see in a film & how they rate it, then show that film.

For there to be no TCM you have to butterfly a lot of things, first there is no Ted Turner and his acquisition of MGM/UA and their film library before 1986, the pre 1950 AAP film library which includes Warner, Paramount studios and the RKO film library.
Then you need to stop the technological upgrade from coaxial cable to fiber optic and direct broadcast satellites systems that allowed for more channels to be received at home.
So if no TCM then there would have been something else that would have filled the void in the marketplace, maybe American Movie Classics stay commercial free.

Amen. And y'know what I wish they'd do? Give a critic a weekly show, to explain what critics see in a film & how they rate it, then show that film.
Often, critics and viewers see films in different ways. Moreover, each critic has his own interpretation. True, it seems to me, after all, they stand to unite some context of the era in which it was made.

I would have not seen a large number of older films.
Many of which I enjoyed.
I act differently - I am looking for torrents. In Russia, TMC doesn't broadcast.

Uh...

Don't.

Fair enough.

But just to be clear the part about short attention spans wasn't directed at Rufus Shinra. I have no quarrel with him. It was a comment intended to convey the idea these old movies are quite a bit better than much of the comic book based dreck that is released nowadays.

His response surprised me. I realize I should have explained things better.

Driftless

Donor

That was a key point of the ancient(1980's) Siskel and Ebert movie reviews. For those folks not familiar with that program, those two Chicago based film critics would both review the same currently released movies. They'd typically evaluate 3-5 movies per week and they frequently disagreed and would elaborate why they appreciated a movie - or not... after a few minutes of pithy discussion, each would give a "thumbs up/thumbs down" rating for a film. The guys knew their stuff, and their presentation was such that you could easily arrive at your own opinion of whether you'd like the movie, or not. Murphy's Law: my wife was a Siskel guy and I usually preferred Eberts evals....;)

That was a key point of the ancient(1980's) Siskel and Ebert movie reviews.
That didn't go into nearly the level of detail I wanted; limiting to "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" was fine if all you wanted was to know if it was worth seeing. (It did help, there; if you knew what Roger liked, you'd know if you would. {In general, if he did, I'd hate it. :p }) I'm after something akin to what the difference between two & three stars is.

I should also point out this is edging toward, "WI there was a movie review network?" & away from the OP....;)

But just to be clear the part about short attention spans wasn't directed at Rufus Shinra. I have no quarrel with him. It was a comment intended to convey the idea these old movies are quite a bit better than much of the comic book based dreck that is released nowadays.
Honestly - I share your feelings.

That was a key point of the ancient(1980's) Siskel and Ebert movie reviews. For those folks not familiar with that program, those two Chicago based film critics would both review the same currently released movies. They'd typically evaluate 3-5 movies per week and they frequently disagreed and would elaborate why they appreciated a movie - or not... after a few minutes of pithy discussion, each would give a "thumbs up/thumbs down" rating for a film. The guys knew their stuff, and their presentation was such that you could easily arrive at your own opinion of whether you'd like the movie, or not. Murphy's Law: my wife was a Siskel guy and I usually preferred Eberts evals....;)
First of all, this show is not ancient - the main images and language of American pop culture have just acquired a modern look exactly in the 80s (IMHO). Secondly ... in general, the idea isn't bad. Especially if the attention will be paid not only to the "famous", but some films are much less known - in order to attract the attention of new generations.