WI No Mughal Maratha wars

octoberman

Banned
what if Mughal Maratha wars never happened and Shivaji remained a Mughal vassal
In the court, on 12 May 1666, Shivaji was made to stand alongside relatively low-ranking nobles, men he had already defeated in battle. Shivaji took offence and stormed out of court, and was promptly placed under house arrest.
what if Shivaji was not disrepected ?
what difference would it make on aurangzeb's reign
what would be maratha infulence on mughal succession wars ? would they become kingmakers like the sayyid brothers ?
how would this effect Mughal survival ?

the death knell to the Mughals comes from Nadir Shah in the sack of Delhi after Karnal . since that still happens, I dont see a Mughal revival.
Shivaji not getting disrespected does not change much. the Marthas still raid, plunder and pillage, because they could, and it was profitable. they manufacture some pretext for it. not that hard to do so tbh.
the Marthan base of operations is too far from the centre of Mughal power to have an influence on Mughal secession wars.

octoberman

Banned
the death knell to the Mughals comes from Nadir Shah in the sack of Delhi after Karnal . since that still happens, I dont see a Mughal revival.
Shivaji not getting disrespected does not change much. the Marthas still raid, plunder and pillage, because they could, and it was profitable. they manufacture some pretext for it. not that hard to do so tbh.
the Marthan base of operations is too far from the centre of Mughal power to have an influence on Mughal secession wars.
But sayyid brothers were also from Deccan ?

But sayyid brothers were also from Deccan ?
Sayyid Brothers might have been been from the Deccan. but they lived at the Court in Delhi and did palace politics. To expect Shivaji to do the same when he has lands to rule over in the Deccan, and has to maintain his control over the clans is unlikely.

Most likely, Shivaji's Bhonsle clan will usurp the role that the Nizam of Hyderabad played in Deccan politics - an independent polity that pays lip service to the rulers in Delhi.

As an aside though - Aurangzeb was more likely to poison Shivaji than to retain him as a vassal. I think by that point Shivaji had plundered cities in Gujarat which were some of the major money makers for mughals

Last edited:
Can we have a resurgent Shia empire pose such a threat in north that Aurangzeb does not spend so much time south ?
Never figured out why he was so obsessed with Deccan ? 25 yrs there while you own all of central north and east India , whatever happened to Islamic ordained “ qanat pasandi” or contentment?
Also I’d be interested to see if a MILITARY history of these campaigns units ,tactics ,logistics ,TO&E has ever been compiled ?