WI: No Arab and Transatlantic Slave Trades

The colonization of the Americas is significantly retarded, as is therefore the evolution of capitalism and the industrial revolution. Without the slave trade, you have a very restricted productivity of cash crops and plantations that rely on indentured servitude and indigenous enslavement, both of which are unreliable sources of manpower. Without plantations, Brazil and the Caribbean do not develop. I’m no expert on Virginia, but I’d suspect the same. Without the significant income and profits from the colonial system, the investments and financial services necessary to kickstart industrial capitalism will also take far longer to materialize.
The first settlers of Virginia were European serfs who became free men after it became clear that they could just run away from the lords so the British colonies in North America are fine.
I base my arguments on Eric Williams’ classic Capitalism & Slavery. I don’t have the data on hand right now, but Williams proves how profits associated to the colonial system financed early industry. It’s also worth mentioning that labor being cheap in the slaveholding colonies does not automatically translate to cheap labor in the metropolis or non-slaveholder colonies (although, as Marx showed, labor was pretty cheap indeed anywhere you looked). Williams also agrees with your thesis that industrialization ended slavery, which I’m skeptical of myself, but it’s not the issue at hand.
If slaves were the main reason for Industrilaztion it would be Spain and Portugal who would do it first not the British.

The first settlers of Virginia were European serfs who became free men after it became clear that they could just run away from the lords so the British colonies in North America are fine.

If slaves were the main reason for Industrilaztion it would be Spain and Portugal who would do it first not the British.
Indeed, the first settlers were indentured servants who partook in uprisings and social upheaval after their contracts were up, so much that slavery had to be introduced as an alternative. This is a rather interesting idea by Edmund Morgan, if you’d like to check it out. He calls it the American paradox.

The colonial system and colonial revenue was at the base of industrial capitalism. The colonial system was grounded on slavery. Ergo, yes, you could very generally and very simplistically say that slavery caused industrialization. Obviously there are other factors at play, otherwise every slave society throughout history would have industrialized, but you can’t take slavery out of the industrial equation either.

The colonial system and colonial revenue was at the base of industrial capitalism. The colonial system was grounded on slavery. Ergo, yes, you could very generally and very simplistically say that slavery caused industrialization. Obviously there are other factors at play, otherwise every slave society throughout history would have industrialized, but you can’t take slavery out of the industrial equation either.
I mean this is just not true. You can restate it as many times as you want, but you have failed to engage with, let alone refute, that (1) the Solow-Swan insight that economic output is not based on the initial level of capital over the long run or (2) the fact that the vast majority of investment for the industrial revolution came from domestic sources.

I mean this is just not true. You can restate it as many times as you want, but you have failed to engage with, let alone refute, that (1) the Solow-Swan insight that economic output is not based on the initial level of capital over the long run or (2) the fact that the vast majority of investment for the industrial revolution came from domestic sources.
I have answered this before. (1) I do not consider the Solow model to be applicable to pre-industrial economies and (2) I still find Williams’ data more convincing than anything else. These may look like domestic sources when analyzed under the lens of microeconomics, but they are intrinsically tied to the colonial system when looking at the bigger picture of an Atlantic economy. You disregard Williams’ arguments, while I do not find your criticism convincing, especially in light of the entire field of the Great Divergence, including Pomeranz, Wallerstein and other big historians, who all consider the colonization of the Americas to have been essential to the development of capitalism. At this point we will just have to agree to disagree, rather than argue in circles.

Tell that to spain that used the natives of peru and bolivia for centuries in the silver and mercury mines despite the high casautlies
Indigenous enslavement where there was a prior indigenous urban civilization is much easier than elsewhere. The Spanish just basically adapted the Incan mita system in the Andes. Brazil on the other hand did not have a previous urban civilization with a central authority that already enforced the organization of labor and the workforce. Neither did the Caribbean, with the additional “difficulty” that the Europeans exterminated all the natives. Therefore, indigenous enslavement was far less practical, as history showed us (not to mention technically illegal after the mid-16th century). Why do you think African slavery was introduced in Brazil?

Indigenous enslavement where there was a prior indigenous urban civilization is much easier than elsewhere. The Spanish just basically adapted the Incan mita system in the Andes. Brazil on the other hand did not have a previous urban civilization with a central authority that already enforced the organization of labor and the workforce. Neither did the Caribbean, with the additional “difficulty” that the Europeans exterminated all the natives. Therefore, indigenous enslavement was far less practical, as history showed us (not to mention technically illegal after the mid-16th century). Why do you think African slavery was introduced in Brazil?
Adopted and made it bloodier but yeah brazil did have some civilzatations but they were completely wiped out by disease as compared to the inca which large parts of the population in some areas did survive , as for the caribbean disease but also Spanish got rid of some groups via war
If you have no african slaves i say the encomiendas and what Columbus did ( maybe not to his extreme level but still slavery) would become more common there .

As for indigenous slavery the encomiendas became ilegal but here most natives just became serfs but unlike others they had less rights except for the mining ones they were in all but name slaves till the 19th century for Brazil i can't say much but I can say spanish possessions would not be missing out on much .

Tell that to spain that used the natives of peru and bolivia for centuries in the silver and mercury mines despite the high casautlies

Didn’t really seem a good investment in the long term for Spain, in general a early modern state get more money out of free peasants than serfs and more money out serfs than slaves, of course it demand a centralization of the state and greater economic control. They also get more out of farmers than out of mines. If we look at some good example we can compare what kind of colonialism were best for the Metropol.

Didn’t really seem a good investment in the long term for Spain, in general a early modern state get more money out of free peasants than serfs and more money out serfs than slaves, of course it demand a centralization of the state and greater economic control. They also get more out of farmers than out of mines. If we look at some good example we can compare what kind of colonialism were best for the Metropol.
they became crazy rich and while the high inflation of silver did make a problems the easy capital made by the spanish allow them to go on the offensive (not all wars were necessary tho) as for farmers the spanish turned the non mimining natives to serfs lima and other parts were just basicily a division of the lords and the natives as workforce
and i agree that free farmers would have been better later the modern period how ever the point here is that the spanish can in certian areas use natives to replace african slave labour.

they became crazy rich and while the high inflation of silver did make a problems the easy capital made by the spanish allow them to go on the offensive (not all wars were necessary tho) as for farmers the spanish turned the non mimining natives to serfs lima and other parts were just basicily a division of the lords and the natives as workforce
and i agree that free farmers would have been better later the modern period how ever the point here is that the spanish can in certian areas use natives to replace african slave labour.

People talk about long term effect, yes you can get crazy rich in short term by behaving in exploitable manner, but states exist in the long term and in the long term these thing tend to leave your country poorer off. If we imagined a world where England pretty much had taken Spain’s place in the colonization of America and Spain didn’t have any American colonies, Spain would likely end up much richer by the late 17th century.

People talk about long term effect, yes you can get crazy rich in short term by behaving in exploitable manner, but states exist in the long term and in the long term these thing tend to leave your country poorer off. If we imagined a world where England pretty much had taken Spain’s place in the colonization of America and Spain didn’t have any American colonies, Spain would likely end up much richer by the late 17th century.
eh questionable the last thing if spain had no american colonies it would have been at the mercy of france sure no inflation but figthing a constant defensive war against france and (no american treasure does not go well with the ottomans) would mean that the habsburgs in spain would have to help out the ones in the germany just with that they had
even centuries later spain ease to get riches meant that in pinch it could raise an army from nothing.

but i still do agree that slavary /serfedom played a part how ever .... it really didnt need there could have been slave lobour for the mines and the spanish system could have stilled worked if not form some dumb socio political things the spanish empire did , i mean the usa still pogressed as whole despite the south having slavery.

I still find Williams’ data more convincing than anything else. These may look like domestic sources when analyzed under the lens of microeconomics, but they are intrinsically tied to the colonial system when looking at the bigger picture of an Atlantic economy. You disregard Williams’ arguments, while I do not find your criticism convincing, especially in light of the entire field of the Great Divergence, including Pomeranz, Wallerstein and other big historians, who all consider the colonization of the Americas to have been essential to the development of capitalism. At this point we will just have to agree to disagree, rather than argue in circles.
I suppose so. I feel Williams's data is thoroughly unconvincing as he overestimated the scale of the profits taken from slavery, as shown by Engerman's rebuttal*; and he failed to account for how investments that would have gone into industrialisation instead went to slavery, an oversight that should have been obvious considering how the industrial revolution happened shortly after slavery was outlawed.

*Citation: "The Slave Trade and British Capital Formation in the Eighteenth Century: A Comment on the Williams Thesis". The Business History Review. 46 (4): 430–443.

Either way, I'm willing to agree to disagree from here on out.

I have answered this before. (1) I do not consider the Solow model to be applicable to pre-industrial economies and (2) I still find Williams’ data more convincing than anything else. These may look like domestic sources when analyzed under the lens of microeconomics, but they are intrinsically tied to the colonial system when looking at the bigger picture of an Atlantic economy. You disregard Williams’ arguments, while I do not find your criticism convincing, especially in light of the entire field of the Great Divergence, including Pomeranz, Wallerstein and other big historians, who all consider the colonization of the Americas to have been essential to the development of capitalism. At this point we will just have to agree to disagree, rather than argue in circles.
Ok, so which parts of the Solow model needed for that insight does not apply to an early industrial economy (not pre-industrial as our entire debate is about funding the industrial revolution)? Do you deny that capital had decreasing marginal returns? Do you have some reason to believe depreciation somehow reduced with scale? Those are the only two things you need to believe to realize that starting capital doesn't matter over the long run.

And what data of Williams showed that the majority of invested capital came from colonial sources?