WI: No 1990s Comics Crash?

In a country with 18 million people
100M people when the biggest city doubles NY at the time, but that is not the point, as say before, real diversification was the key

I was mostly talking about more cartoons, merchandise, and videogames.
And those come with successful ideas, the cart before the horse

I think the problem is that Americans have a very specific view of what comics are.
UNLIKE Franco-Belgian Band dessines when you get kids stuff alongside tom clancy esque thrillers

marathag

Banned
I think the problem is that Americans have a very specific view of what comics are.
That goes back to the '50s with Wertham's _Seduction of the Innocent_
only Mad Magazine really escaped, and even that was though 'just for kids' along with the Supers and the Disney Books
100M people when the biggest city doubles NY at the time, but that is not the point, as say before, real diversification was the key
left out -circulation-

marathag

Banned
That's the thing. Unless you went into one of those Comic Book Shops, no-one would be exposed. Comics were long gone from other retailers

As the Marvel Movies show, people are interested in the IP, and even the 2nd rate DC efforts

But in the ''90s, it was a bewildering number of lines out there, and too many individual books( that too many had X -something in the Title) needed to be purchased to keep up with events, with time travel and alternate universes.
The the Covers and collectability nonsense ontop it all.

So with monthly books, to make anything move the story along, you had to jump the story from title to title with cross-overs, that were too difficult but for all the true fanboi

Last edited:
Wertham’s work definitely had quite the impact though American comic books did become the domain of superheroes partially because it’s what sold when the others weren’t as popular and even kept the medium alive when other stuff was happening.

Strangle the idea for multiple covers, that all would be 'collectible' for starters.

god, the multiple/colletor's edition cover idea just SOUNDS idiotic to me

because it was, people forget comics become valuable because where rare, and rarity was a side effect their popularity

EyTyscZXMAce3Z4

On one hand, no MCU (at least not how we know it) which sucks as I enjoyed the Infinity Saga. On the other hand, Marvel never gets bought by Disney which sounds like pure bliss.

Overall, it's more good than bad.

On one hand, no MCU (at least not how we know it) which sucks as I enjoyed the Infinity Saga. On the other hand, Marvel never gets bought by Disney which sounds like pure bliss.

Overall, it's more good than bad.

Marvel was still likely gonna get bought by someone since we’d still have Ron Perelman’s decisions and thus someone would see the chance to buy Marvel.

Marvel was still likely gonna get bought by someone since we’d still have Ron Perelman’s decisions and thus someone would see the chance to buy Marvel.
It'd be better than Disney though. One of the most regrettable things about entertainment in the last ten or so years was Disney becoming an entertainment monopoly that ruled everything, and thus everything was affected by their insane ideology.

How to prevent the comics crash?

Stop Ron Perelman buying Marvel and using its name to create a ton of worthless paper shell companies and going on a buying spree. He brought everything from a paper plant to a distributor to toy companies to baseball cards - it was a fragile house of cards and collapsed with the baseball strike and stock share leading to the management crisis and bankruptcy, which led directly to the crash.

Remove Perelman, have Marvel brought by someone else (Shooter?) with more responsibility and low of the industry and the Crash does not happen cos the cynical flooding of the market with more crappy books, more EVENTS, multiple covers, direct sales only, and all the purchasing does not happen.

If you want more butterflies then have the 80’s sale go completely different back then.

Remove Perelman, have Marvel brought by someone else (Shooter?) with more responsibility and low of the industry and the Crash does not happen cos the cynical flooding of the market with more crappy books, more EVENTS, multiple covers, direct sales only, and all the purchasing does not happen.

If you want more butterflies then have the 80’s sale go completely different back then.

I've always said that the comics crash COULD have been avoided all the way back in the late 60s if Kinney National Service had bought out Marvel in its infancy instead of DC. Then, when they bought Warner back in 69, WB would be the driving creative force behind all Marvel properties including the comics.

I’m now wondering what happens if comics shifts itself to be a bit more like manga, releasing new content through anthology magazines like Shonen Jump and then selling those issues in trade paperbacks of varying sizes

I’m now wondering what happens if comics shifts itself to be a bit more like manga, releasing new content through anthology magazines like Shonen Jump and then selling those issues in trade paperbacks of varying sizes
Too late, you want that, need a POD pre that quack psychologist, maybe earlier, manga works that way thanks Japanese visual culture and the market regulated himself in an omnibus manner, the way to imitated manga would be unironical, comics start slower and less popular, especially superheroes and some crime one, thus are bundled with romance and 'slice of life' style stories, so we've publication like American Comics, DC(here Diverse comics), Archie as omnibuses brands.