WI Nanban trade evolves into a Trans-Pacific Slave Trade

Hi everyone, long time lurker, new poster here! I want to preface this by stating that slavery and the slave trade are undeniably horrific acts. That said, both had an undeniable impact on history, particularly in the Atlantic world and I think examining the effects of a similar trade in the Pacific is worth a look. There have been some past threads on the topic (such as this one: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/economics-of-a-trans-pacific-slave-trade.477234/), but they tend to focus on the Portuguese and on long circumnavigation trade routes.

I am more interested in the effects that an expansion of the nanban trade and the manilla galleon trade route into a Spanish pseudo-"triangle trade" instead. Like the Atlantic triangle trade, this would be exploiting trade imbalances in each region to make a profit on each leg by shipping silver and other precious metals from the New World to China, silk and other luxury goods from China to Japan, and slaves from Japan and Korea to the New World. One of the perennial problems for the Spanish silver mines at Potosi and cinnabar mines at Huancavelica were labour shortages, which in OTL lead the Spanish to expand upon the existing Inca Mita system to alleviate labour shortages. This of course was caused by horrific conditions of the mines which lead to death rates comparable to the worst abuses of the Caribbean sugar plantations. European powers tended to resort to the Atlantic slave trade to solve these sorts of labour issues, but Spain was disadvantaged in this due to strong Portuguese control of the trade in part due to the treaty of Tordesilla.

China meanwhile had huge demand for silver and Japan for silks due to inability to trade with China as a result of wokou raiding. Japan during this period OTL was frequently trading slaves to the Portuguese as part of this trade and were doing so to such an extent which horrified Sebastian of Portugal and Toyotomi Hideyoshi . So what if the Spanish get involved in the nanban trade and this slavery expanded? Japan at this time was involved in Korea at this time and could have been one source of slaves for the trade. Wokou raids could have expanded to slave raiding as well, and the existing trade in Japan a further sources.

Andres_Urdaneta_Tornaviaje.jpg

The existing Manila Galleon route already goes along the coast of Japan, so expanding the trade along the route is a nonissue.

So what impact would this have? Obvious effects would be a larger amount of Asians in the New world. It is not much of a stretch to see Asian slaves outside of simply the pacific coast, so this could have an impact in the Spanish Caribbean colonies as well. Korea, and likely Japan and China as well, will see a drain on population and human capital that was experienced in Atlantic Africa, which will have a tremendous negative impact on the development of these nations. I think it is fairly likely to see an earlier development of California with greater Manila trade along its route. How might a spread of East Asian religions to the new world have on indigenous belief systems? What other effects might this have on the Pacific world?

Last edited:
As pointed out by @Tonifranz in this thread, the original Silk-Silver trade served mostly to the benefit of merchants in Manila and to the detriment of the Spanish silk artisans. With a Pacific triangle trade, Manila would serve as an important entrepôt for the trade, might we see a larger homegrown silk industry in Spain as a result? This in turn could have some potentially large long term butterflies when industrialization comes into the mix.

So the primary obstacle I can see is actually in New Spain. See, one of the key points of New Spain's economy was that it could not trade with itself. Shipment that went from Manila to Mexico could not then be shipped into the Caribbean. They had to be shipped out of Vera Cruz (and ONLY Vera Cruz), to Spain. Only when the goods had reached Spain could the goods then be shipped back across the Atlantic to be sold in New Spain. And this WILL NOT change. Ever. It was the whole point of the system. Trading in slaves is therefore right out. Frankly too many of them will die on the voyage for it to be profitable. A lot of slaves died on the ships just sailing from Africa to the Caribbean. This trip won't be that long, it will be far longer. And the voyage will take them past Africa anyway, so why wouldn't the ships just pick up slaves there?

I guess they could ship the slaves from Japan directly to Lima, but look at the trade route. You'll have to sail to Acapulco, then continue south to Lima in that case.

My point is it seems like a bunch of hurdles to get not that much more profitability.

Lusitania

Donor
The issue is the two laws passed by the Spanish crown the law of Burgos 1512 and new laws 1543 prohibited Asians from being used as slaves in new world.

The Spanish Crown progressively restricted and eventually outright forbade the enslavement of Native Americans in the early years of the Spanish Empire with the Laws of Burgos of 1512 and the New Laws of 1543. The latter led to the abolition of the Encomienda, private grants of groups of Native Americans to individual Spaniards and their Mestizo descendants.[1] The implementation of the New Laws and liberation of tens of thousands of Native Americas led to a number of rebellions and conspiracies by "Encomenderos" (Encomienda holders) which had to be put down by the Spanish Crown.[2] Asians (chinos) in colonial Mexico had the same status as Native Americans and thus were forbidden to be enslaved by law.[3]

Lusitania

Donor
So the question is what needs to change in Spanish law and thinking for the Spanish in new world to import Asians?

So the primary obstacle I can see is actually in New Spain. See, one of the key points of New Spain's economy was that it could not trade with itself. Shipment that went from Manila to Mexico could not then be shipped into the Caribbean. They had to be shipped out of Vera Cruz (and ONLY Vera Cruz), to Spain. Only when the goods had reached Spain could the goods then be shipped back across the Atlantic to be sold in New Spain. And this WILL NOT change. Ever. It was the whole point of the system. Trading in slaves is therefore right out. Frankly too many of them will die on the voyage for it to be profitable. A lot of slaves died on the ships just sailing from Africa to the Caribbean. This trip won't be that long, it will be far longer. And the voyage will take them past Africa anyway, so why wouldn't the ships just pick up slaves there?

I guess they could ship the slaves from Japan directly to Lima, but look at the trade route. You'll have to sail to Acapulco, then continue south to Lima in that case.

My point is it seems like a bunch of hurdles to get not that much more profitability.

I think the best solution to the New Spain issue would be to use Panama as an entrepôt for silver and slaves between Peru proper and East Asia, its part of the Viceroyalty of Peru so that should solve the issue of trade between colonies. Panama had a problem of being jungle and difficult to transport goods across, but I can see some slaves diverted from going to Peru to be used as a human train across the isthmus, bringing Peruvian Silver to the Caribbean and onward to Spain, those remaining slaves could be sold to elsewhere in the Caribbean, though I suppose they would need some kind of royal exception on that, or sold to a third party like the dutch.

Interestingly, death rates on the middle passage were not nearly as effected by voyage length as people seem to think, and rarely were a deciding factor in the number of deaths onboard. [1,2] Of note is that the 19th century coolie trade which averaged around 120 days in transit (or ~4 months, the same length of time as the Manila to Acupulco route) had a death rate on average of 12%, which is fairly comparable to Middle Passage numbers. That is still a lot of deaths, but if that death rate was considered economical in Africa, I don't see why it would be any different here.

Toyotomi, not Tokugawa, abolished the slave trade and several other daimyo (ie those who would actually lose precious subjects to the Nanban) were deeply against it.
Yeah, Japanese slaves themselves would probably be banned pretty early, but Toyotomi had no issue with owning Korean slaves himself, so I don't see that stopping the trade as a whole. The way I see it going is Japanese Wokou making slave raids along the Chinese and Korean coasts (and inland in the case of Korea), and then transporting them to Japan for sale, much as coastal African tribes did to inland tribes. This is likely the point where most deaths in the trade occur, much like in Africa.

The issue is the two laws passed by the Spanish crown the law of Burgos 1512 and new laws 1543 prohibited Asians from being used as slaves in new world.

The Spanish Crown progressively restricted and eventually outright forbade the enslavement of Native Americans in the early years of the Spanish Empire with the Laws of Burgos of 1512 and the New Laws of 1543. The latter led to the abolition of the Encomienda, private grants of groups of Native Americans to individual Spaniards and their Mestizo descendants.[1] The implementation of the New Laws and liberation of tens of thousands of Native Americas led to a number of rebellions and conspiracies by "Encomenderos" (Encomienda holders) which had to be put down by the Spanish Crown.[2] Asians (chinos) in colonial Mexico had the same status as Native Americans and thus were forbidden to be enslaved by law.[3]

This is likely the biggest stumbling block. Doing some further reading, it seems that the New Laws did not originally apply to Asians and that the change occurred over time as they assimilated in with the native population. If that is the case then halting the assimilation could do the trick at allowing it to occur.

1. David Eltis, “Mortality and Voyage Length in the Middle Passage: New Evidence from the Nineteenth Century,” The Journal of Economic History 4, no. 2 1984): 301-308, accessed May 11, 2020, https://www.jstor.org/stable/2120707?seq=1.
2. Herbert S. Klein, "Transoceanic Mortality: The Slave Trade in Comparative Perspective," William & Mary Quarterly, LVIII, no. 1 (January 2001), pp. 93-118, accessed May 11, 2020, https://web.stanford.edu/~hklein/Klein_etal_Mortality_ST_WMQ-2001.pdf.

So the question is what needs to change in Spanish law and thinking for the Spanish in new world to import Asians?

From the sound of things Columbus not being utterly harsh to the natives might work, but how you would stop assimilation unless the Spanish are nowhere near as wildly successful?

Trans-Pacific voyages can be shortened by an earlier discovery of Hawaii and the Pacific Islands in the 16th century. The Pacific islands can provide resupply since it has freshwater and enough food for sailors and ships. Notice when you compare the map of Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia to the Manila Galleon map.
1589250847676.png

Lusitania

Donor
Trans-Pacific voyages can be shortened by an earlier discovery of Hawaii and the Pacific Islands in the 16th century. The Pacific islands can provide resupply since it has freshwater and enough food for sailors and ships. Notice when you compare the map of Polynesia, Micronesia and Melanesia to the Manila Galleon map.
View attachment 547232
from what I read the Spanish galleons used the trade winds and currents along the equator to travel back and forth between Asia and New World while Hawaii was outside those routes that was why the Spanish missed it for over 200 years.

That certainly helps with the voyage to Asia, but it unfortunately doesn't help with the return voyage which needs to go north towards Japan to take the prevailing winds back. California could make a good resupply point on the return trip, which has some interesting knock on effects if gold is discovered earlier. That's about half way from Nagasaki to Panama, so that could work well. Besides that, there's not much that can be done about the 4 month return trip, but that isn't as big a problem as it seems, since as the Manila route was more used ships got way better at provisioning for it, and with that the death rate of crew and passengers, which as we saw OTL, got down to levels comparable to the middle passage.

On the other hand, sourcing Asian slaves from Japan wouldn't be sufficient enough because of the high labor requirements and the horrible conditions of the silver mines in South America.
If a Trans-Pacific Slave Trade occurs in the ATL, what are possible candidates for slave sources?

There may not need to be much change to law if what I've read is accurate, since that the lack of distinction between Natives and Asians seems to be a later development. If that's the case then I think its reasonable for a race based slave system to take shape much as it did in the Caribbean for blacks. If the elite is in favour of Asian slaves since they profit from it, that might cement it. As far as Spanish thinking, I think there's a few options, one is that the New Laws are actually followed in Peru, since in OTL the Mita system was essentially slavery. If the viceroy enforces it, there's still labour demand and Asia provides a source just as Africa did for the Caribbean. Another option is that the conquest of Peru is either more brutal, or more effected by disease, resulting in lower populations to be used for resource extraction. Alternatively, have a few more rebellions in Peru (afterall, there were quite a few native revolts OTL), and the Viceroy brings in outside labour to help alleviate some of the cause of the revolt (plus, foreign slaves don't know the country and are far less dangerous if they do rebel, which was one of the reasons they were used in the Caribbean after all).

On the other hand, sourcing Asian slaves from Japan wouldn't be sufficient enough because of the high labor requirements and the horrible conditions of the silver mines in South America.
If a Trans-Pacific Slave Trade occurs in the ATL, what are possible candidates for slave sources?

Initially Japan, as the Japanese elite OTL were perfectly willing to sell their people into Slavery. That's not going to last forever as eventually someone like Toyotomi Hideyoshi is going to put a stop to it. The Wokou can take over the demand from there by continuing their raiding in Korea, China, and maybe Vietnam or Manchuria. If Japan gets involved in Korea directly, that's another source. China and Korea would probably be the main regions due to population size and ease of access from Japan. Spain won't get involved directly, that would endanger there position as traders in China and is frankly too dangerous and not worth the risk. Spain can trade, Japan can raid.

Last edited:
I think a Portugal, Majapahit, and Japan alliance can discover the west coast of Americas.
I'm not sure how you figure that given Majapahit fell in 1517 and was on its last ropes well before then. Given that first contact with Japan isn't until 1543, that doesn't appear to be possible or relevant to discussing the evolution of a pacific triangle trade.

I'm not sure how you figure that given Majapahit fell in 1517 and was on its last ropes well before then. Given that first contact with Japan isn't until 1543, that doesn't appear to be possible or relevant to discussing the evolution of a pacific triangle trade.
Majapahit was trading with japan prior to its fall.

Last edited:
The Portuguese can encounter Majapahit in a better in the situation with a POD after Henry the Navigator, the Majapahit can help them in Japan since they control the trade route that passes via Luzon.

One thing that has not been addressed is how to prevent Japan's isoloation during the Sakoku period. If that isn't prevented any pacific trade involving Japan is going to dry up. Obviously being involved in greater trade with the outside world might stave it off, but the OTL nanban trade wasn't able to prevent it. If anyone more knowledgeable about Japan has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.