WI: More Reich Oil Imports

TDM

Kicked
A lot easier to get oil from Lybia than Baku or Iraq.
Taking the Suez canal forces British shipping to go around South Africa.
worlds-biggest-crude-oil-reserves-by-country-1.jpg

The oil in Lybia could make the med the centre of the conflict to no battle of Britian. The main air battle r=eraly in the war would be around Malta and the sea lanes to Lybia.
The question is not is there oil there and weather it's closer than Iraq or Baku, it's can they exploit it in the middle of a battle, or will their efforts to extract it be wasted when it get trashed in the middle of a conflict zone

No BoB mean Germany basically giving up on beating Britain, which seems unlikely. Germany doesn't what to make teh N.Africa and the Med the centre of the conflict as it not part of their long-term goals. This would in fact be Germany fighting Italy's war! Germany would be less able to leverage it superiority in land forces that do so well in western and eastern Europe in a theatre that's more about projecting and concentrating global force with marine and air power.

The question is not is there oil there and weather it's closer than Iraq or Baku, it's can they exploit it in the middle of a battle, or will their efforts to extract it be wasted when it get trashed in the middle of a conflict zone

No BoB mean Germany basically giving up on beating Britain, which seems unlikely. Germany doesn't what to make teh N.Africa and the Med the centre of the conflict as it not part of their long-term goals. This would in fact be Germany fighting Italy's war! Germany would be less able to leverage it superiority in land forces that do so well in western and eastern Europe in a theatre that's more about projecting and concentrating global force with marine and air power.
The Battle of Britain was not about beating Britain but was about forcing Britain to withdraw from the war to allow oil to be imported.
Protecting the oil supply from Lybia would be more important than bombing Britain.

I wonder if the Iraqi coup had been more succesful (and perhaps the initial British reaction less successful) if the Turks would have allowed the shipment of the oil to the Reich? If so would we see the Allies launch a direct intervention into Turkey? I don't think Turkey would have been as ridiculously easy to subdue as Iran. So if Turkey is directly forced into the Axis camp what would happen with Turkey post war? Would we see different allied occupation regions set up? Perhaps the Soviets might force an annexation of the Straits region (a la East Prussia ending up as Kalingrad).

I wonder if the Iraqi coup had been more succesful (and perhaps the initial British reaction less successful) if the Turks would have allowed the shipment of the oil to the Reich? If so would we see the Allies launch a direct intervention into Turkey? I don't think Turkey would have been as ridiculously easy to subdue as Iran. So if Turkey is directly forced into the Axis camp what would happen with Turkey post war? Would we see different allied occupation regions set up? Perhaps the Soviets might force an annexation of the Straits region (a la East Prussia ending up as Kalingrad).
By the time of the coup, it would be too late to increase oil production enough to make a difference.
I doubt Germany have the logistics or rail transport to move that amount of oil by rail back to Germany.
I do not think they would be able to defend the supply lines that could be bombed by allied aircraft.

thaddeus

Donor

By the time of the coup, it would be too late to increase oil production enough to make a difference.
I doubt Germany have the logistics or rail transport to move that amount of oil by rail back to Germany.
I do not think they would be able to defend the supply lines that could be bombed by allied aircraft.
obviously the British defeating the Iraqi coup and maybe even more importantly ejecting the Vichy regime from Syria (for their tacit support) made a huge impression on Turkey.

a more cautious German plan might have just focused on Syria-Lebanon, the French had begun building airfields from which to bomb Baku, one would think Germany would want those in hand for (any) invasion East? (NOT saying bomb Baku, just that they seemingly would want to preserve that option)

(a quick glance at the map, they might have been curious about any Syrian oil, in fact they had/have more than the Austrian reserves, and they already had the refinery and pipelines for the Iraqi oil, while the Berlin to Baghdad rail not useful in wartime, the other major junction was Aleppo in Syria)

Sorry guys OP here. Good points all, I'm just coming back to this after a busy few days of school.

According to the table I put in Post 10 Romania produce 8.5 million tons of crude petroleum in 1936, which declined to 6.1 million tons in 1939 and 5.2 million tons in 1943.

So production in 1939 was 2.4 million tons less than 1936 and production in 1943 was 3.3 million tons less than 1936.

I don't know. However, you may have answered this question in Post 12.

That is, the decline in production many have been because the Germans didn't have anything the Romanians wanted to trade for the extra 2½ to 3 million tons of oil that they were capable of producing.

However, some of the reduction in Romania's production between 1936 and 1943 was compensated for by increases in production elsewhere.
  • Austria's production increased from 7,348 tons in 1936 to one million tons in 1943.
  • Hungary's production increased from nothing in 1936 to 800,000 tons in 1943.
  • The oilfields in eastern Poland were captured in the second half of 1941. They produced 373,000 tons in 1942 and 395,000 tons in 1944.
There is also the increase in Germany's synthetic oil production over this period, which I don't have any figures for.

Good point, that's probably true. No way that the Germans alone could have made it worth their while to provide them all the oil they were exporting to the whole world in 1936. That and the allied bombing wouldn't have pushed production towards 100% capacity.

As the topic is about the Axis getting some oil from Iraq it's useful to know how much oil that country was capable of producing in the first half of the 1940s.

According to the table below (which is from the same source as the table in Post 10) Iraq's maximum annual production between 1938 and 1945 was 4.3 million tons. IIRC the combined capacity of the oil pipelines from Kirkuk to Haifa and Tripoli (the one in Lebanon) was 4 million tons a year. IIRC Haifa and Tripoli were also where the refineries were.View attachment 599316

Thanks.

I was thinking more of them exporting it along the railway through Turkey and to the Soviet Union. Plausible or nah do you think?

Well, it could be 'set up' .. (I'm guessing that having 20,000 tanks, even T26's, means Stalin is confident he can impose his will by military force should it come to that)

You can assume Stalin is going to invade Poland even without the Nazi-Soviet Pact. After that you have Nazi's and Soviets sharing a common border .. plus there's the Danziog / Polish Corridor issue all over again (but with Hitler demanding Stalin hand it over) .. Easy enough to assume a Soviet grab of Estonia, Lativa and Lithuania ends with the Red Army rolling on into East Prussia to eliminate the Polish Corridor issue .. and bingo you have your war ...

On the other hand, you can have Stalin, who sees plots everywhere, convince himself that he has to grab Rumania before Hitler does. Hitler sees his oil supplies under thrteat .. and then gets into a war when the Red Army rolls on into Hungary ...

I doubt it. Stalin was really cautious before WWII. He wouldn't have done something that bold unless he thought there was absolutely no way it could backfire on him.

You maybe be right the Italians cannot control themed on their own, but with increasing numbers of Germany aircraft based in Italy and North Africa they could control the trade routes to the oil fields.
Italy would not make much money for oil as it was very cheap before the war.
They do save hard currency needed to pay for imported oil.
A neutral Italy would have to limit its oil imports to its' own needs, or the royal navy will blockade oil imports.
OTL the only county the British could not stop exporting oil to Germany was the Soviet Union.
Oil in Lybia makes the control of north Africa more important than taking the oil fields of Baku. So no big pressure for Germany to invade the Soviet Union.

In this scenario though, the British are really, really going to focus on taking North Africa quickly. I doubt they'd even try to fight in Greece, it would simply be too important to finish off the Axis oil supply. There's no way they can overwhelm the amount of force the Wallies can bring to bear on them.

A lot easier to get oil from Lybia than Baku or Iraq.
Taking the Suez canal forces British shipping to go around South Africa.
worlds-biggest-crude-oil-reserves-by-country-1.jpg

The oil in Lybia could make the med the centre of the conflict to no battle of Britian. The main air battle r=eraly in the war would be around Malta and the sea lanes to Lybia.

Not sure about that. It would require them to build a huge amount of infrastructure in North Africa AND to build an enormous fleet of tankers to handle the crude. I do not think that's necessarily easier than buying from the USSR in larger quantities and illicitly purchasing in the international market while developing sources at home.

No, the USSR was a net oil exporter in this era. Any major imports of oil are going to grab attention, and not a good way.

That actually isn't true, at least not in a significant way. The Soviets briefly reentered the international oil export market in the late 1920s and then pulled out within a few years. By the late 1930s, almost all of their oil went to internal use, and it was widely known even at the time that Stalin's five year plan to jump start their oil industry failed miserably. The Vozhd himself complained that the USSR's oil industry was totally backwards. In that situation, and given what a black box the country was regarding credible economic data during Stalin's reign, it might not cause too much suspicion if they quietly started buying a million tons a year on the international market.

This is silly. All of the oil fields in the Middle East were owned and operated by the Allies.

Rashid Ali came to power only because Rommel's offensive in Libya gave the impression that the Axis would drive into the Middle East; the German onslaught into Greece reinforced this. But if Syria had declared for Free France, Iraq would have been completely isolated and I doubt that the "Golden Square" would dare to move against Britain.

In which case Iraq (and its oil) remains firmly under the British thumb.

So there's no way that say Iran or Iraq could export to the Soviets or Turks? IIRC weren't there some smaller fields that the west didn't control?

He was Prime Minister though before the coup, the Golden Square Coup was his effort to grab everything. If he remained in that position without launching the coup, he might be able to continue exerting pro-Axis influence.

I really don't see them going to war with Turkey just because there are no scenarios where it would be easier to do that than to just retake Iraq and garrison it.

I was thinking more of them exporting it along the railway through Turkey and to the Soviet Union. Plausible or nah do you think?
It depends upon the capacity of the railway and the amount of motive power and rolling stock that was available.

This is a link to a thread on the consequences of Turkey joining the Axis, which includes some discussions on the feasibility of the Axis obtaining oil from Iraq.

It depends upon the capacity of the railway and the amount of motive power and rolling stock that was available.

This is a link to a thread on the consequences of Turkey joining the Axis, which includes some discussions on the feasibility of the Axis obtaining oil from Iraq.
Tbh, the first thing that comes to mind re: Turkey joining the Axis is that it becomes even more of a "losers of WWI/people unhappy with the end result of WWI" coalition.

Tbh, the first thing that comes to mind re: Turkey joining the Axis is that it becomes even more of a "losers of WWI/people unhappy with the end result of WWI" coalition.
I don't disagree. I think the Turks did the right thing for Turkey by trying to get as much as they could out of each side.

As I have already written, I posted the link because the thread discussed the feasibility of the Axis obtaining oil from Iraq.

thaddeus

Donor
every thread on Germany & oil it gets forgotten they completed a huge synthetic program, but with "fits and starts" only in 1943, just in time to be bombed to pieces!

thus logically if they had the foresight to push completion of let's say a smaller or somewhat smaller program earlier, they could have reaped the benefits. in other words 20m barrels a year from?? 1938 rather than a 40m barrel a year program only completed by 1943 (and that is really crude back of envelope calculation)

somehow sort between the Westwall, synthetic plants, and shipbuilding (and maybe include in that highway construction?)

also the calculation for Axis oil requirements conflates the numbers before and after invasion of the USSR, mean they were burning a LOT more fuel marauding around the East, which might be viewed as optional if they were closer to self sufficient in oil?

every thread on Germany & oil it gets forgotten they completed a huge synthetic program, but with "fits and starts" only in 1943, just in time to be bombed to pieces!

thus logically if they had the foresight to push completion of let's say a smaller or somewhat smaller program earlier, they could have reaped the benefits. in other words 20m barrels a year from?? 1938 rather than a 40m barrel a year program only completed by 1943 (and that is really crude back of envelope calculation)

somehow sort between the Westwall, synthetic plants, and shipbuilding (and maybe include in that highway construction?)

also the calculation for Axis oil requirements conflates the numbers before and after invasion of the USSR, mean they were burning a LOT more fuel marauding around the East, which might be viewed as optional if they were closer to self sufficient in oil?
The synthetic program took huge resources and produced very poor quality oil and diverted a huge amount of steel and coal and was more expensive than imported oil. 3.5 pennings for imported oil 20 pennings for coal to oil per litre. OTL synthetic oil plus oil from Rumania and soviets union could not produce enough military not to mention the civilian economy.
Oil from Libya is very high quilty and easy to refine.
Germans never came close to self-sufficient in oil nor could they.
The Germans were running out of oil before they invaded the Soviet Union.

Last edited:

thaddeus

Donor
The synthetic program took huge resources and produced very poor quality oil and diverted a huge amount of steel and coal and was more expensive than imported oil. 3.5 pennings for imported oil 20 pennings for coal to oil per litre. OTL synthetic oil plus oil from Rumania and soviets union could not produce enough military not to mention the civilian economy.
as a matter of fact they did produce amounts of oil from the synthetic programs equal to their pre-war levels, they simply were blowing through it roaming over the USSR.

while I hate to be put in a situation to defend a horribly inefficient process (against some comical videos), it was ONE source of oil for THEM and a logical development. if you had scrolled up through the thread you'd notice my prior suggestion that they implement the producer gas vehicles earlier, that is a horribly cumbersome solution as well.

AND while not endorsing their war aims, it seems they might have advanced into Romania instead of trying to "puff up" the Romanian army beyond any reason to enlist in their invasion East (nothing against Romania, just speculating as a matter of strategy, one would think they should pocket those resources, as well as develop Austria fully)

[Rashid Ali] was Prime Minister though before the coup, the Golden Square Coup was his effort to grab everything.
He had been PM until 3 February, when he was sacked under British pressure. The coup returned him to power.

IIRC weren't there some smaller fields that the west didn't control?
No. No Arab or Persian businesses were capable of operating oil fields. The governments did not operate oil fields: they granted concessions to foreign companies in return for a share of the revenue.

The only outlet of the Mosul pipeline was to Mandate Palestine.
There was a branch to Tripoli (the Lebanese one) and the combined capacity of the pipelines was 4 million tons a year, which happened to be the amount that the oilfields were producing at the time.

marathag

Banned
There was a branch to Tripoli (the Lebanese one) and the combined capacity of the pipelines was 4 million tons a year, which happened to be the amount that the oilfields were producing at the time.
Keep forgetting about that leg.

Main problem for the Turks, is that the single RR track in the area is nowhere close to the main Kirkuk pipeline, except where it crosses the Tigris.
So the Turks would need to build a oil terminal along the Tigris, and then a minor RR yard.
Then buy a lot of 4000 gallon tanker cars, and locos to pull them

marathag

Banned
Some rough estimates.
With 4M tons a year of Crude, assuming short tons and 4000 gallon tank cars, that's almost 900 carloads a day. Typically a freight Steam engine of the era could do 40-70cars each, so that's 13-23 consists daily, on a single track line that had no CTC signaling.
So not plausible.

He had been PM until 3 February, when he was sacked under British pressure. The coup returned him to power.

No. No Arab or Persian businesses were capable of operating oil fields. The governments did not operate oil fields: they granted concessions to foreign companies in return for a share of the revenue.
Some rough estimates.
With 4M tons a year of Crude, assuming short tons and 4000 gallon tank cars, that's almost 900 carloads a day. Typically a freight Steam engine of the era could do 40-70cars each, so that's 13-23 consists daily, on a single track line that had no CTC signaling.
So not plausible.

Alright, thanks for the feedback. Looks like it's not plausible, OP question answered.

True.

The Germans were running out of oil before they invaded the Soviet Union.

Yeah, the easiest way for Germany to get more oil by far is for them or the Austrians to find the Matzen fields, for Hungary to find the Algyo and Nagylengyel fields, and for the Netherlands to find the Schoonebeek oil field. This allows them to put less coal towards the synthetic program, meet their obligations to Romania, and get even more oil. The more oil they find, the more they can purchase. For them it's a virtuous cycle, for everyone else in the world it's a vicious cycle.

All of the fields came really close to being discovered earlier IOTL. The Austrians narrowly missed theirs, the Hungarians were sinking random wells all over the country even in areas that were very unlikely to have anything to try and replace the reserves they lost after WWI, and the Dutch were distracted in 1938 by a totally freak occurrence when a rig they set up for a "Living in the Dutch East Indies" exhibit in The Hague drilled down and hit a small amount of oil, which focused exploration on the western part of the country where there wasn't any rather than the east where Schoonebeek was. RPM had gone to great effort before that to secure a monopoly on exploration rights in the north and east of the country, without that they would have kept exploring those areas and probably found it. As is, they found it in 1943, but it was kept secret from the Nazis until the war ended.

I can only assume there is a loving God that didn't want the Nazis to have all the oil they needed to power the panzers and the Luftwaffe.

Keep forgetting about that leg.

Main problem for the Turks, is that the single RR track in the area is nowhere close to the main Kirkuk pipeline, except where it crosses the Tigris.
So the Turks would need to build a oil terminal along the Tigris, and then a minor RR yard.
Then buy a lot of 4,000 gallon tanker cars, and locos to pull them.
According to Wikipaedia the Aleppo to Tripoli branch of the Berlin-Baghdad railway was built between 1912 and the start of World War One.

IMHO that changes the feasibility of the Germans obtaining useful amounts of oil from Iraq. That is instead of being virtually impossible it's only very hard.

I can only assume there is a loving God that didn't want the Nazis to have all the oil they needed to power the panzers and the Luftwaffe.
You omitted the oil in West Germany. Its production exceeded 7½ million tons a year from 1964 to 1969. That's more than the peak annual production of Austria and The Netherlands in the period 1931-69 put together.

IOTL German and Austria's combined crude petroleum production rose from 900,000 tons in 1939 to 2 million tons in 1944.

IOTL Austria's peak production was between 2½ million and 3½ million between 1952 and 1957. As already noted, West Germany's peak production was 7½ million a year 1964-69.

Therefore, my nightmare scenario would be for Germany to produce 7½ million tons of crude petroleum a year over the period 1939-44 and for Austria to produce 3 million tons a year at the same time for a combined total of 10½ tons a year. That would increase the Third Reich's domestic oil supply by 8½ to 9½ million tons a year. That is, as long as Germany didn't decrease its production of synthetic oil and/or reduce imports from Romania proportionately.