WI Mexico is in Caricom?

Established in 1973, the Caribbean Community (or Caricom for short) is pretty much an EU-style organization for all Caribbean countries. Currently, they are launching some ambitious projects, like a Caricom Single Market and Economy. Currently, Mexico (accent removed to appease Thande) is an observer of Caricom. But WI Mexico decided to take the plunge and become a Caricom member?

I think Mexico can be a Caricom member whilst still part of NAFTA. After all, NAFTA is just a free-trade agreement. Caricom is the Caribbean's answer to the EU.

Thande

Donor
I think Mexico can be a Caricom member whilst still part of NAFTA. After all, NAFTA is just a free-trade agreement. Caricom is the Caribbean's answer to the EU.

Aye, but it seemed to me that the mood at the recent NAFTA summit in Canada was in favour of a move towards further NAFTA economic integration, and Calderon seemed to support it.

I think there may come a time in a few years when either membership of the two clubs will be mutually exclusive, or else they'll merge.

^That's the SPP, not NAFTA. The SPP being the stepping stone to a North American Union that nobody supports.

THe decision on that matter likely lies with Washington. If the USA are fine with effectively including the Caribbean in NAFTA (Mexico being a member of both would mean that goods will flow freely, nobody has any illusions about the efficacy of its regulatory regime), it will be possible, no matter the political implications. If not, Mexico will have to choose, and given the comparative value of trade and immigration, I doubt it will take CARICOM ver NAFTA.

It would be interesting for the Caribbean in political terms, though. I believe Mexico's population and GDP outweighs not only every single Caribbean state, but all of them combined.

hmmm.. Venezuela has observer status, too. Maybe if Chavez wants to go in and the Mexican government tries to forestall what would effectively be a hostile takeover?

Carlton, I was thinking of a POD sometime around Caricom was formed, or even in the 1980s. This butterflies away Chávez.

Thande

Donor
Carlton, I was thinking of a POD sometime around Caricom was formed, or even in the 1980s. This butterflies away Chávez.

Not necessarily - Chavez started his first revolutionary movement in 1983 and is likely to try and launch a coup regardless of other events. Whether he'll actually eventually become President, by democratic or other means, is another question.

And NAFTA, wouldn't it? Interesting. Might Mexico's membership in CARICOM affect its future trade relations with the USA? Or do the CARICOM members just come along as de-facto NAFTA appendages?

I like the idea of Canada and the U.S. going one way while Mexico goes a different way with the Caribbean...

Same with me, Wendell.

Mexico has observer status in Caricom according to Wiki, but as a full member, Nexico would clearly dominate the group. Perhaps a POD would be the failure of the NAFTA treaty to be ratified in the U.S.?

Mexico has observer status in Caricom according to Wiki, but as a full member, Nexico would clearly dominate the group. Perhaps a POD would be the failure of the NAFTA treaty to be ratified in the U.S.?

Well IIRC the original free-trade agreement was between Canada and the US (merci, Mulroney :rolleyes:). It was the PRI regime that wanted Mexico to be included.

Mexico's an observer in CARICOM, and several Unasul nations also have observer status.
Maybe Mexico joining CARICOM could trigger a move to fuse the two organizations--an earlier FTAA?