WI: Mauser C/96 was grip-fed?

Pretty much on the tin...

The Mauser C/96 selfloading pistol has an iconic shape, with a high bore line and 10-round magazine ahead of the trigger.

The idea of the magazine in the grip was not unknown at the time; the C/93 Borchardt used one.

So what would it take for the C/96 to use one?

Does it end up looking a lot like the Model 1900 Luger?

Or something else?

Does it become more successful? Or less?

Anderman

Donor
It would be a total different pistol. More like the Walther P38 or Beretta 92 which have similar locking system but at the front and at the aft
like the C96.
The locking mechanism of the C96 blocks the way of a grip magazin.

The locking mechanism of the C96 blocks the way of a grip magazin.
As designed, yeah.

I'm thinking Mauser uses a slightly different locking mechanism (turns the C/96's backwards?).

Was it impossible he'd think to use grip feed?

Does the C/96 using grip feed have knock-ons later? (Like, frex, butterflying the success of the P.08?)

Anderman

Donor

That´s an animation of a C96 there, is not enough space for the magazin aft and the bolt has to move much further back.
What you want is a Walther P38 but for that John Moses Browning has to invent the slide first.

That´s an animation of a C96 there, is not enough space for the magazin aft and the bolt has to move much further back.
The OTL C/96, yes.

Was there no way Mauser comes up with something nearer the Borchardt? (If not the P.08.)

As I look at the OTL C/93, I can imagine the Mauser action hanging off the back (some), a bit like that, and a bit like the P.08. Given the mag is in the grip from the start (which I presumed from the OP).