WI: Mary dies before Edward VI

Frances was in the line of succession after Elizabeth and she would be the heiress presumptive.
Frances wasn't in line - Henry's will cut her and her sister, Eleanor Clifford, out of the succession, leaving only the Grey Girls and Margaret Clifford after Ed, Mary and Liz.

Frances wasn't in line - Henry's will cut her and her sister, Eleanor Clifford, out of the succession, leaving only the Grey Girls and Margaret Clifford after Ed, Mary and Liz.
I NEVER heard that and what reason would have Henry for disinheriting his nieces while keeping their daughters in the succession? That made ZERO sense.

I NEVER heard that and what reason would have Henry for disinheriting his nieces while keeping their daughters in the succession? That made ZERO sense.
Ahem, ahem, ahem.
Succession-of-Henry-VIII-in-1553.png

We don't know why he did it, but Henry VIII's will is clear.
1) Edward
2) Mary
3) Elizabeth
4) Jane Grey
5) Katherine Grey
6) Mary Grey
7) Margaret Clifford.

Their respective mothers, Frances Brandon and Eleanor Brandon, were excluded from the succession to the throne.

Last edited:
Ahem, ahem, ahem.

1) Edward
2) Mary
3) Elizabeth
4) Jane Grey
5) Katherine Grey
6) Mary Grey
7) Margaret Clifford.

Their respective mothers, Frances Brandon and Eleanor Brandon, were excluded from the succession to the throne.
Well Eleanor is dead so that's fairly academic. In the other matter Henry may have been trying to ensure her husband the Duke of Suffolk didn't become King in all but name. Although in that case why leave the daughters in place?

Possibly he thought he or his successors could control younger children more easily? If he'd lived longer I don't doubt he'd have insisted on a say in their marriages to make sure the right guy became defacto King if all three of his children were gone.

Only easily explained one is the Stuart's. As I said they're at war with England anyway and pre James VI and I the family is way to close to the French and could see England pulled into Satellite state status by default.

Ahem, ahem, ahem.

1) Edward
2) Mary
3) Elizabeth
4) Jane Grey
5) Katherine Grey
6) Mary Grey
7) Margaret Clifford.

Then is like I said. Eleanor was long dead at this point and the one about Frances is a mistake as she was NOT excluded by Henry VIII but simply passed over by Edward VI in favour of her eldest daughter as Edward’s original plan was to name heir Jane’s still unborn son(s) and was later forced to amend it to Jane and her male heirs

Then is like I said. Eleanor was long dead at this point and the one about Frances is a mistake as she was NOT excluded by Henry VIII but simply passed over by Edward VI in favour of her eldest daughter as Edward’s original plan was to name heir Jane’s still unborn son(s) and was later forced to amend it to Jane and her male heirs
No. Incorrect. Frances and Eleanor were passed over by Henry in his will as seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_of_Henry_VIII_of_England

When he died in 1547, he had, for some reason unknown, bypassed Frances Brandon and Eleanor Brandon (perhaps because he thought Frances was too old to have male heirs now and Eleanor was ailing?) from the succession, leaving Edward, Mary, Elizabeth, Jane, Katherine, Mary Grey, Margaret Clifford as the successors.

Well Eleanor is dead so that's fairly academic. In the other matter Henry may have been trying to ensure her husband the Duke of Suffolk didn't become King in all but name. Although in that case why leave the daughters in place?

Possibly he thought he or his successors could control younger children more easily? If he'd lived longer I don't doubt he'd have insisted on a say in their marriages to make sure the right guy became defacto King if all three of his children were gone.

Only easily explained one is the Stuart's. As I said they're at war with England anyway and pre James VI and I the family is way to close to the French and could see England pulled into Satellite state status by default.
Eleanor was already dead and Frances' husband was not popular
At the time Henry made his will, Eleanor was still alive - she died 8 months later, so the fact she was dead was not the reason she was bypassed, but Frances's makes sense. Her husband was an idiot...

No. Incorrect. Frances and Eleanor were passed over by Henry in his will as seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_of_Henry_VIII_of_England

When he died in 1547, he had, for some reason unknown, bypassed Frances Brandon and Eleanor Brandon (perhaps because he thought Frances was too old to have male heirs now and Eleanor was ailing?) from the succession, leaving Edward, Mary, Elizabeth, Jane, Katherine, Mary Grey, Margaret Clifford as the successors.
Frances was only 30 in 1547 - her last daughter had been born in 1545 - while she had no more surviving children by Grey - she did during her second marriage have three pregnancies - two stillbirths and a daughter assumed to have died very young.
The removal is sometimes thought that the King was simply ill and omitted them in error or because he thought it unlikely his nieces would outlive his own progeny in any case - or there might have been a religious element to leaving them out