WI: Margarethe of Austria, Queen of Hungary?

Any idea what the relationship will be like between Margarethe's kids and Karl V/siblings TTL? i.e. would Karl be able to use Hungarian prince(s)/princess(es) as proxies as he did Portuguese infantes/infantas OTL?

Any idea what the relationship will be like between Margarethe's kids and Karl V/siblings TTL? i.e. would Karl be able to use Hungarian prince(s)/princess(es) as proxies as he did Portuguese infantes/infantas OTL?
He could use them as proxies inside HRE withouth much problems, as it was anyway the place where vast majority of Jagiellon princesses married IOTL.

Hows this look for kids (spitballing for names so if @Jan Olbracht @krieger @Monter and @Fehérvári can help):

Wladyslaw II, King of Hungary [1490-1516] & Bohemia [1471-1516] (1456-1516) 1m: 1476 [ann.1500] Barbara of Brandenburg (1464-1515); 2m: 1491 [ann.1500] Beatrice of Naples (1457-1508); 3m: 1501 Margarethe of Austria (b.1480)

Ludwik II, King of Hungary & Bohemia (b.1503) m:

Maria (b.1504)

Zsigmond (b.1506)

Elisabeth (b.1507)

Stillborn Child (1508)

Stillborn Son (1511)

Anna (b.1513) m: 1525 Sigismund II Francis, King of Poland (b.1510), son of Sigismund I, King of Poland and Katharina of Mecklenburg

Would the OTL first Congress of Vienna take place here with Vlad Bene's heir not being retarded and having a second son to follow him up besides)?

Last edited:
Hows this look for kids (spitballing for names so if @Jan Olbracht @krieger @Monter and @Fehérvári can help):

Would the OTL first Congress of Vienna take place here with Vlad Bene's heir not being retarded and having a second son to follow him up besides)?
The very fact Max allowed Margarethe to marry Vladislaus means more or less that Jagiellon rule in Hungary is accepted by Emperor. And with second son of Vladislaus Habsburgs would propably give up attempts to directly take Hungarian throne, using Jagiellon Hungary as shield protecting their eastern flank during Italian campaigns instead. So no need for Vienna 1515.

Nie about the names: Hungarian language makes distinction between Vladislaus (Ulászló) and Ladislaus (László) while Polish does not (both are Władysław). So I'm not sure if Vladislaus' son would be Vladislaus III (Polish ancestry) or Ladislaus VI (Hungarian born) so maybe better name firstborn son Louis and second Sigismund to avoid confusion?

Nie about the names: Hungarian language makes distinction between Vladislaus (Ulászló) and Ladislaus (László) while Polish does not (both are Władysław). So I'm not sure if Vladislaus' son would be Vladislaus III (Polish ancestry) or Ladislaus VI (Hungarian born) so maybe better name firstborn son Louis and second Sigismund to avoid confusion?

Fixed
The very fact Max allowed Margarethe to marry Vladislaus means more or less that Jagiellon rule in Hungary is accepted by Emperor. And with second son of Vladislaus Habsburgs would propably give up attempts to directly take Hungarian throne, using Jagiellon Hungary as shield protecting their eastern flank during Italian campaigns instead. So no need for Vienna 1515.
No, because it was meant to solve problem of Habsburgs being allied to Muscovy and they are not allied to it ITTL.

So probably no double marriages between Max's Burgundian grandkids and Vlad's kids TTL?

So probably no double marriages between Max's Burgundian grandkids and Vlad's kids TTL?
As Ferdinand has little chance to get Hungarian throne anyway I see Karl being not very willing to ceede even Austria to him (perhaps he'd try to make him duke of Würtemberg instead?). There could still be double or at least single marriage, sister of HRE is still the best option for Hungarian king IMHO and Margarethe should be in favour of that match.

As Ferdinand has little chance to get Hungarian throne anyway I see Karl being not very willing to ceede even Austria to him (perhaps he'd try to make him duke of Würtemberg instead?). There could still be double or at least single marriage, sister of HRE is still the best option for Hungarian king IMHO and Margarethe should be in favour of that match.

I like the idea of Ferdinand being given Further Austria, Württemberg and maybe one or two other bits and bobs. Wonder who he'll marry here, though.

krieger

Banned

I'm not so sure about that, this distinction appeared first during war between Vladislaus the Posthumous and Vladislaus of Varna over Hungarian throne, and served purpose of differentiating between one another. Despite this, this is not used by everyone - even on this site I've seen posters calling rex bene Ladislaus VII (while counting Vladislaus of Varna as Ladislaus VI) or even Ladislaus VIII (while you also count Wenceslas III of Bohemia who took the regnal name Vladislaus), so your firstborn Vladislaus might be as well Ladislaus VIII/IX.

I'm not so sure about that, this distinction appeared first during war between Vladislaus the Posthumous and Vladislaus of Varna over Hungarian throne, and served purpose of differentiating between one another. Despite this, this is not used by everyone - even on this site I've seen posters calling rex bene Ladislaus VII (while counting Vladislaus of Varna as Ladislaus VI) or even Ladislaus VIII (while you also count Wenceslas III of Bohemia who took the regnal name Vladislaus), so your firstborn Vladislaus might be as well Ladislaus VIII/IX.

So, keep it Ludwik/Lajos or change it?

Sincerely, I don't know, I just highlighted that it's not that easy. I'd say that while being allied to Habsburgs instead of France, Charles is more likely "new" name than Louis.

This is probably true. And Margarethe's anti-French sentiment is likely to mean that the Hungarians don't ally with France for at least her lifetime, no?

krieger

Banned
This is probably true. And Margarethe's anti-French sentiment is likely to mean that the Hungarians don't ally with France for at least her lifetime, no?
If Vladislaus is married to Margarethe, it means that Jagiellons are pro-Habsburg and not allied to France.

That makes me wonder-is Albrecht Hohenzollern Grand Master of TO in this TL? IOTL Sigismund the Old opposed his candidature (as it was intended by TO, that Sigismund's nephew as Grand Master would have higher position in negotiations with Poland) but Max supported Albrecht against the will of Polish King.

That makes me wonder-is Albrecht Hohenzollern Grand Master of TO in this TL? IOTL Sigismund the Old opposed his candidature (as it was intended by TO, that Sigismund's nephew as Grand Master would have higher position in negotiations with Poland) but Max supported Albrecht against the will of Polish King.

A fair point. Which leads me to other questions about Margarethe marrying Vlad. Would she be able to build up any sort of "power base"/"royal party" from which to maneuvre? Or would the magnates block that? Assume for the sake of argument that Vlad listens to her advice and allows her influence, what would be the most likely points she'd influence/advise him on? And would her advice mean that he does things differently to OTL?

A fair point. Which leads me to other questions about Margarethe marrying Vlad. Would she be able to build up any sort of "power base"/"royal party" from which to maneuvre? Or would the magnates block that? Assume for the sake of argument that Vlad listens to her advice and allows her influence, what would be the most likely points she'd influence/advise him on? And would her advice mean that he does things differently to OTL?
Possibly OTL Habsburg party is simply merged with Royal party, while Zápolya's OTL anti-Habsburg 'national' party is weakened (because what goal would they have ITTL?)

Possibly OTL Habsburg party is simply merged with Royal party, while Zápolya's OTL anti-Habsburg 'national' party is weakened (because what goal would they have ITTL?)

Fair enough. Though I suspect there'll still be those who prefer to maintain the king as weak versus the strong magnates, no? Or can the anti-Habsburg party find another idea to rally around TTL?