WI Louisiana as a rich state

I remember seeing somewhere that early film production was more difficult in humid climates and that was one of the draws of Los Angeles. Idk if thats true or not, but if it is it would make Louisiana a bad place for film production.
My wife and I visited Louisiana in 2018.
We had problems getting into our Hotel because a film was using the street in front as a set for a African War Zone .
They were filming at night and we trying to return and can not get to the building .

My wife and I visited Louisiana in 2018.
We had problems getting into our Hotel because a film was using the street in front as a set for a African War Zone .
They were filming at night and we trying to return and can not get to the building .
I don't know if he is correct about that or not but 2018 is hardly "early film production"!

Paradoxer

Banned
I remember seeing somewhere that early film production was more difficult in humid climates and that was one of the draws of Los Angeles. Idk if thats true or not, but if it is it would make Louisiana a bad place for film production.
Many film are currently moving to Louisiana because LA is getting too pricey for some

Oh well. It was just an idea. (I had the notion of pirate films being a staple instead of Westerns.).

That is why most films were made in California.
The Quiet man filmed in Ireland was one of the early ones done outside of California. even at that much of it was filmed on sound stages in California.

Well its not the poorest state, but it is towards the bottom. Its ranked 48th out of the 56 states and territories of the US in terms of average income. Its also ranked 32nd out of the 56 in terms of GDP per capita.

Interestingly, if it were its own country it would rank 11th in the world in terms of GDP per capita. So its not poor by international standards. Its average income is about $47,900 as of 2018, which would place it the 13th highest in the world. This is really an example of just how well off the US is, that a state considered poor in comparison to the other states has a higher average income than the UK, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and New Zealand, and a higher GDP per capita than Australia, the Netherlands, Sweden, and Austria.

Actually this means that the wealth inequality there is massive, the average GDP of the lowest rungs are offset dramatically by the highest earners. It has a high crime rate, above average unemployment and below average education statistics.

Historically it made money in extractive industries, chemical manufacturing and timber. It's economy booms and busts on the petrochemical industry, so maybe better diversification of the economy during a petro boom is the way to go?

Last edited:

dcharles

Banned
Or some sort of creole tourism?

I've seen a few comments like this--and they're very bizarre.

Tourism *is* a huge industry in Louisiana. That's why my man the OP has an image of Louisiana in his head. It's actually part of the Lieutenant Governor's portfolio. The liscense plates advertise it as a "Sportsman's Paradise."

And tourism is about the *worst* way for a society to get wealthy. It's nothing but low-skill service jobs. It's like a yard-sale of your cultural heritage.

Actually this means that the wealth inequality there is massive, the average GDP of the lowest rungs are offset dramatically by the highest earners. It has a high crime rate, above average unemployment and below average education statistics.

Historically it made money in extractive industries, chemical manufacturing and timber. It's economy booms and busts on the petrochemical industry, so maybe better diversification of the economy during a petro boom is the way to go?
Even when you look at median household income, Louisiana is still sitting at around $49,000. Thats not bad at all on an international scale, and it certainly isn't the lowest in the country. https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/median-household-income-by-state

Its hard to find consistent data on this, but from a quick google search it would seem that $49,000 figure would make Louisiana richer than Australia, Denmark, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, etc. Again, remember this is median income. so its not affected by the outliers like an average would be, and Louisiana is still much higher.

That’s actually surprising one
Part of the problem with Hawaii is the cost of shipping to the islands.
All shipping to the island from the US must be done on US crewed and owned ships. This is more expensive than non-US ships,

Even when you look at median household income, Louisiana is still sitting at around $49,000. Thats not bad at all on an international scale, and it certainly isn't the lowest in the country. https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/median-household-income-by-state

Its hard to find consistent data on this, but from a quick google search it would seem that $49,000 figure would make Louisiana richer than Australia, Denmark, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, etc. Again, remember this is median income. so its not affected by the outliers like an average would be, and Louisiana is still much higher.

It would be impressive if it meant anything, if any developed country decided tomorrow to remove all social assistance including healthcare, cut taxes and at the same time putting massive subsidies on basic food stuff, the result would be a massive increase in GDP (ppp). The entire GDP (ppp) is primarily used by USA for propaganda purposes instead of using nominal GDP, because societies with massive inequality and subsidies for food scores a lot better on that scale. It only really makes sense to use for undeveloped countries not developed countries

I mean Louisiana has a higher GDP per capita than Australia.
That the 2 economies in Louisiana. The oil/gas and fishing in the coastal strip. Even in New Orleans, the areas below sea level are very poor with very high levels of unemployment.
Then there is the rest of the state much of it being a swamp. The infrastructure in much of the state is in back condition,

Infrastructure Issues Plaguing Louisiana​

The rest of the state is not very attractive to invest in due to the climate.
Oil/gas and fishing is where most of the investment is going to go as it is the most profitable and tend to attract workers from outside the state.
I am not sure how much of the revenue for oil and gas goes to the federal government.
Louisiana has the Dutch disease too much money to be made in one sector mostly for export which does not emp[ly that many people.

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
Maybe that could get some businesses from the north to invest more into Louisiana.
Or earlier choice that Louisiana must stay a Republican State, and reject the Deal with Tilden that ended Reconstruction in Louisiana, while letting it happen in Florida and South Carolina.

Louisiana isn't the poorest state, at least not by certain important metrics. California has a higher poverty and near-poverty rate, a higher per capita homeless rate, and worse inequality last time I checked. Mississippi has worse educational outcomes, and states like California aren't too far off from Louisiana. New Mexico has a higher percentage of people on food stamps. Plus as others have pointed out the median income in Louisiana is actually fairly high.

The problem with New Orleans specifically, however, is just that; it's economy is really structured around a few parties/celebrations a year that draw in thousands of people, and that's it. It never had substantial industry like Buffalo or Chicago, but it was an important financial hub in the South for a while. Then the post-WW2 boom happened, and suddenly many other Southern cities that were struggling after the Civil War/Depression began expanding, and places like Charlotte, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, and Nashville became more important financial hubs. It also didn't help that the decline of manufacturing saw a drop in the need for New Orleans' river traffic, and the city had a notorious flood/storm problem.

Plus, frankly, New Orleans hasn't had the best reputation among Southern cities. Many of the people moving to the Sun Belt are elderly and families, and New Orleans just isn't seen as family-friendly or elderly-friendly as, say, Murfreesboro (a suburb of Nashville). It has a fairly high tax burden compared to other Southern locales, and for the longest time had a much higher/visible crime rate and corruption problem. Plus it has a reputation for being the land of drunken frat kids, druggies, and other kinds of people families/elderly tend to avoid. Katrina certainly didn't help, but the city had been declining for years before, and there's still a lot of damage left behind.
And how this can be changed?