WI: Leningrad taken late July 1941.

I once read that the Germans did not take Leningrad by purpose. Although I see the strategic goal of cutting the Murmansk line, conquest of Leningrad would have resulted in many casualties for the Germans. Due to the siege, the Russians were forced to supply Leningrad, in which nevertheless hundrets of thousands died, in line with what the racist plans of the Nazis had in mind anyway.

Lithuania

You know, Lithuania was originally supposed to be in the German sphere of influence, not the Soviet one. They traded it to the Soviets for a hunk of Poland that they took in the invasion of Poland and didn't want to give up if I recall correctly. I wonder how much of a difference it would have made if the Germans had been able to step off from Lithuania instead of having to go through it.

Cook

Banned
Read “900 Days: The siege of Leningrad” by Harrison E. Salisbury.

It makes for chilling reading and a few sleepless nights.

Then have the tanks pull wagons full of troops. Might not look pretty, and make battle prep awkward, but one has to take risks in war.

It still wouldn't create the numbers large enough... even if the tanks somehow each took 20 men that would only give the germans about 4 or 5 battalions... they need at least two more corps to cover their flanks so they don't have to stop plus the 9th army which was the northern most army of army group center would have to be able to keep pace and screen army group north's flank

nothing less than an additional panzer army will really make that a viable operation

small pod isn't going to do it

Scorched Earth

With Leningrad being supplied by sea I would see no need to convert the railroad gauge but instead use captured Russian railroad stock. So Vishnii Volocheck would become an effective railhead soon after its capture.

Captured Russian railroad stock!? No need to convert the gauge? If there was one thing the Russians knew how to do it was Scorched Earth. The Germans wouldn't find so much as an intact caboose left.:p