WI: Lü Bu never work for Dong Zhuo

Dolan

Banned
Obviously getting here from playing too much of Three Kingdoms Total War.

As we know it, Lü Bu was originally being adopted son / trusted aide (depending on your source) of a minor warlord Ding Yuan. Ding Yuan was originally coming at the same side with Dong Zhuo, but he opposed Dong Zhuo's plan to depose Emperor Liu Bian (Emperor Shao), and put Liu Xie (Emperor Xian) on the throne.

Now, Dong Zhuo managed to bribe Lü Bu IOTL, and thus history unfurl with him being known as the mightiest general in combat that contributes a lot to the initial Chaos during the Fall of Han Dynasty (although he is kind of incompetent strategically, there is no questioning his prowess in direct combat).

Suppose in an alternate universe, instead of accepting Dong Zhuo's bribe, Lü Bu end up taking offense at such, and quickly move (with Ding Yuan) to immediately remove Dong Zhuo from position of power (and possibly kill him early on).

What would result from the ruinous reign of Dong Zhuo being prematurely terminated here?

Someone else takes control of the imperial court, which results in a further weakening of the already fragile control of the center over the rest of the empire.

Bear in mind that the imperial leadership has been pretty much decapitated by this point in time because of the killing of He Jin as well as the subsequent killings of the Ten Attendants (plus a lot of other people).

The ultimate outcome depends on who winds up being in control.

This someone would probably be Yuan Shao, wouldn't be?

I'm not sure.

I think there were officials who held much higher offices than him at the time. However, Yuan Shao was the one of the individuals who led the killing of the eunuchs plus others, meaning that he's already in something of a leadership position by this point in time. Those senior officials couldn't do anything against Dong Zhuo because Dong Zhuo had an actual army with him, but Yuan Shao's potential control is nowhere near as strong even if he has some soldiers plus his clan connections, particularly since Ding Yuan is still around to balance them out.

For that matter, I think it's important to note that Dong Zhuo's followers might still be involved in this whole mess depending on exactly how Dong Zhuo was eliminated.

Dolan

Banned
For that matter, I think it's important to note that Dong Zhuo's followers might still be involved in this whole mess depending on exactly how Dong Zhuo was eliminated.
Let's say that Dong Zhuo was eliminated by Lü Bu with style that clearly his.

Barging into Dong Zhuo's quarter with several of his warrior retinues and start massacring Dong Zhuo's retinues and attendants before catching up with him and killing him.

He did brought Dong Zhuo's letter offering him bribes as justification.