WI: Katherine Howard had a son with Henry VIII?

It is possible that in OTL Katherine Howard - Henry VIII's fifth Queen - had fallen pregnant with his child. The main piece of evidence for this as AIUI is a letter written by Charles Marillac in 1540 which described Katherine as "Grosse", grosse mainly being a verb used to describe pregnant women, suggesting that Katherine was pregnant but the child was stillborn or miscarried and hence covered up or that Katherine was never pregnant and Charles made a mistake. But what if Katherine had actually fallen pregnant with Henry VIII's child and gave birth to a healthy child. More specifically, what if the child in question was the long desired Duke of York? How would this affect things? Obviously the House of Tudor would survive/last longer and Katherine won't be getting divorced, but what else might change?

The Duke of York might be floated around as a suitor for Mary, Queen of Scots alongside his brother. His survival would also have an interesting effect on the English Reformation, depending on his religion. If he is as fanatical a reformist as his brother, then Edward VI's reforms would continue and England could look more Calvinist than it is in OTL. If he is Catholic he could attempt to restore English to the Papal fold (much to Mary's delight), or if he is moderate like his sister Elizabeth, then nothing changes. But the more interesting effect is what happens to Katherine and Thomas Culpepper? Would Thomas Cranmer and friends still tell Henry VIII about Katherine and her flings with Culpepper and others, if Henry has a son with her or would they keep their mouths shut? If they do tell Henry VIII/he finds out how would Henry react? Would he suspect that his spare isn't actually his son or would he brush the rumours aside as hearsay? How would this affect England?

I have always thought that Kathryn Howard was pregnant, but ended up miscarrying. Another tragic part of this tragic girl’s life. A boy would inherit England if Edward VI died. It would be interesting if he marries Mary, Queen of Scots before that. A daughter could be Queen of France or Spain. Whatever the matter, it is very interesting.

I have always thought that Kathryn Howard was pregnant, but ended up miscarrying. Another tragic part of this tragic girl’s life. A boy would inherit England if Edward VI died. It would be interesting if he marries Mary, Queen of Scots before that. A daughter could be Queen of France or Spain. Whatever the matter, it is very interesting.
It does open a tonne of possibilities. The main impediment to the Mary, QOS marriage is religion, since if the Duke of York (I'm going to call him Henry) is protestant, he would be refuted. There's also the anti-english sentiment getting in the way too. Should that marriage fail he could marry an English noblewoman/heiress or Elisabeth of Valois. The issue of religion would also be fascinating too.

I think he could perhaps be Henrician Catholic, which Henry VIII himself was, if he has tutors who won't fill his head with Protestantism as Edward VI's did. In any circumstance, I think Mary would be quite sound with a protestant husband, especially as it makes her Queen of England in a scenario where it will be near impossible for her to claim the English crown

I think he could perhaps be Henrician Catholic, which Henry VIII himself was, if he has tutors who won't fill his head with Protestantism as Edward VI's did. In any circumstance, I think Mary would be quite sound with a protestant husband, especially as it makes her Queen of England in a scenario where it will be near impossible for her to claim the English crown
Henrician Catholic is likely to be the Duke of York’s religion he, which makes him a possible bride for Mary, QOS here since in OTL she was tolerant of the Protestants (AIUI). Plus it does help her get the English crown through marriage and secure her rule over Scotland.

It does open a tonne of possibilities. The main impediment to the Mary, QOS marriage is religion, since if the Duke of York (I'm going to call him Henry) is protestant, he would be refuted. There's also the anti-english sentiment getting in the way too. Should that marriage fail he could marry an English noblewoman/heiress or Elisabeth of Valois. The issue of religion would also be fascinating too.
And one pregnancy doesn’t mean Kathryn will not conceive again.

Is Henry actually capable of fathering a child at this point. By 1540 he is not a healthy man and his ulcerous leg is getting worse while his weight is ballooning.

And one pregnancy doesn’t mean Kathryn will not conceive again.
True, though at most Henry will manage only one more child, his fertility is definitely in decline by now and his health is going to start failing soon.
Is Henry actually capable of fathering a child at this point. By 1540 he is not a healthy man and his ulcerous leg is getting worse while his weight is ballooning.
Maybe? I have read that he was either infertile at this time or was running out of time to sire a spare, so it’s 50/50 really.

Little Henry won't be Catholic. Remember he'll be six when his father dies and likely brought up with the fanatically Protestant Edward. Unless, of course, Kitty's being Queen for longer - a son will probably make her too secure for the Court to move against her - would influence Edward's upbringing to be more Anglo-Catholic.

If Kitty becomes Henry's last wife ITTL, then that means Kate Parr will marry Thomas Seymour in 1543. I feel sorry for her, but it might mean she gets a child of her own, being five years younger than OTL when she marries Thomas. And it will probably save Elizabeth from Seymour's advances too, having another brother between her and the throne.

Henry's arrival will definitely save Jane Grey's life. With a brother of the same or similar religious persuasion as him, Edward won't need to lay the crown at Jane's feet in an attempt to prevent Mary returning England to the Catholic fold...

Last edited:
I have read he was certainly able to consummate his marriage with Kathryn Howard. In seems he was able to continue to do so until sometime in 1541.

The girl would inherit too, as she would not be considered bastard if Katherine Howard stays queen.
That being said, Katherine Howard was Catholic, so that will be interesting to see if her child is also Catholic...

Little Henry won't be Catholic. Remember he'll be six when his father dies and likely brought up with the fanatically Protestant Edward. Unless, of course, Kitty's being Queen for longer - a son will probably make her too secure for the Court to move against her - would influence Edward's upbringing to be more Anglo-Catholic.

If Kitty becomes Henry's last wife ITTL, then that means Kate Parr will marry Thomas Seymour in 1543. I feel sorry for her, but it might mean she gets a child of her own, being five years younger than OTL when she marries Thomas. And it will probably save Elizabeth from Seymour's advances too, having another brother between her and the throne.

Henry's arrival will definitely save Jane Grey's life. With a brother of the same or similar religious persuasion as him, Edward won't need to lay the crown at Jane's feet in an attempt to prevent Mary returning England to the Catholic fold...
Katherine Howard is certainly going to stay queen. She has a son ITTL, Henry would not ruin his succession by divorcing the mother of his heir. (And it will be "heir" - he is evidence that one son is NOT enough.) As she is Catholic then she will be raising her son to at least be tolerant to Catholics, if not outright Catholic

?

I love the idea of Katheryn’s son (I like to think Henry would let her call him Edmund, which is both a Tudor family name and the name of her father) marrying MQoS. It might be difficult to swing though, religion-wise. While Henry VIII was Catholic in all but name, the ‘all but name’ part is still very important to people like Mary of Guise. At any rate, it would be interesting to see how a regency for little Edmund would pan out should Edward VI still die in 1553. He is eminently connected to the Howard clan, of course, so I wonder if the 3rd Duke could manage to swing the position of lord protector despite being in his 70s. Religion would be very interesting too, especially if Cranmer isn’t burnt at the stake.

It might be difficult to swing though, religion-wise. While Henry VIII was Catholic in all but name, the ‘all but name’ part is still very important to people like Mary of Guise.
I was thinking more around 1561ish, when Mary is newly widowed and her mother (presumably) dead. He would probably be interested in marrying Mary and if he isn't already married then he will absolutely go for it

I was thinking more around 1561ish, when Mary is newly widowed and her mother (presumably) dead. He would probably be interested in marrying Mary and if he isn't already married then he will absolutely go for it
Interesting…what would make Mary agree to the match? English military might?

Honestly, I was thinking that Henry VIII would get the Scots to agree to a deal while Edmund is still only Duke of York, with every expectation that he won’t ascend to the English throne. Queen Mary’s husband would still be a Protestant Tudor Englishman but at least he’s not the king of England

Last edited:
The girl would inherit too, as she would not be considered bastard if Katherine Howard stays queen.
That being said, Katherine Howard was Catholic, so that will be interesting to see if her child is also Catholic...
Jane Seymour was Catholic, very Catholic, and look how Edward VI turned out.