WI: John of Gaunt Dies in 1377?

Stupid question, but didn't Richard's favourite, de Vere start life out as a protegé of John of Gaunt? If de Vere did, would a change of "scenery" around Richard remove de Vere?

Which means someone holds Henry's power for him. Who will that be TTL? What happens when Henry wants it back?
York or Gloucester come to mind. Arundel, Warwick etc wouldn't be implausible either.

One assumes that it'll be taken back by some means or the other. Adult Henry can out resource any opposition, and I think most would just give the powers up, tbh.

Alternatively you get Henry being Steward regardless of his age. It was somewhat ceremonial in the first place, iirc.
Would this mean that Henry (failing to get Mary de Bohun from the convent) is more likely to marry Arundel/Warwick's daughters, perhaps?

Edward III might slip off into the night slightly earlier.
Yeah, we're only a month out from Edward III's OTL death at this point. Easy to imagine that the shock of the news causes his fatal stroke a bit earlier.

The regency for Richard II is likely shared between York and Gloucester, which makes things incredibly interesting
They weren't allowed on the Council iotl, not sure they would be atl. Gaunt effectively held the reins because of his immense wealth, lands and partisans iotl, something both brothers lack, especially Cambridge. Though might be they're more palatable to the people.

Given Cambridge's seeming uninterest in government, I'm guessing Buckingham would call the shots. Which'd be interesting given how pro war he was and how screwed the English were. We might be seeing an earlier loss of Gascony.
Gotta agree with Shadow here. The parliaments of 1376 and 1377 were major struggles between March and Lancaster over control of royal government and the succession. There is no check on March here in ATL, and so I suspect that the uncles are shut out of the ATL regency council and it comes in with March at its head.

The Trastamara's get a bit of relief in Castile, and I imagine no Anglo-Portuguese alliance?
Would Catherine of Lancaster still marry Henry III here?
No invasion of Castile, I'm thinking the English get a negotiated settlement, seeing Cate married to Enrique as OTL and Castillan neutrality (maybe). In atl York may profit off his marriage, getting the annuities and lands Gaunt did iotl (probably not lands). Otoh highly possible the Castilians just nope the negotiations, in which case I imagine the English would pull some moves to put pressure. The result could go either way.
Pretty likely as that match was useful for both sides (unless Constance remarried and had a son), while Philippa of Lancaster is pretty unlikely to made her OTL match in Portugal. Bolinbroke also will not marry his OTL wife (who can end in a convent, married to one of Richard II‘s friend/supporters or maybe to Edward of York, who was 3/4 younger than her).
Edmund of York would most likely get the regency for Richard II (but his brother would have a lot of power) as he was the elder brother.
Big Iberian butterflies in ATL. There were two major schools of thought in England as to how the war should be prosecuted -- "northern strategy" adherents who argued for war in Brittany and Normandy, and "southern strategy" partisans who argued for war in Iberia to break the Franco-Castillian alliance. Gaunt and Langley were the most prominent "southern strategy" advocates, but -- as Shadow points out above -- Langley was famously unambitious. It's hard to see him convincing anyone to actually lend aid to Navarre and Portugal in the ATL 70s and 80s.

Beatriz of Portugal was already betrothed to one of the bastard sons of Juan I of Castile at the proposed POD. That betrothal was broken in OTL when Juan finally had a legitimate son, and Beatriz was instead betrothed to Enrique. It seems to me that Juan is secure enough in ATL for this marriage goes forward. The only thing that stopped it in OTL was the ridiculous Third Fernandine War, which led directly to the Portuguese Interregnum, wherein the siege of Lisbon and the Battle of Aljubarrota were both disasters for Castile. No Gaunt probably means no Third Fernandine War, and so no Interregnum, and so a much stronger Castile.

I am gonna guess Beatriz weds either Enrique or Fernando and we end up with either a Castillo-Portuguese union or a cadet branch of the Trastámaras reigning over Portugal.

The succession is probably clearer here. Gaunt likely influenced Edward III when he wrote his entail in OTL, so without him, it’s likely it doesn’t exist, unless Edmund gets him to write something similar to it. The Beauforts probably vanish into obscurity unless they are legitimised because… reason?
Pretty likely who Edward I‘s entail will remain the one regulating the succession as York was not particularly ambitious.
Edward III's entail was written in October 1376, when he caught some illness and was expected to die. So, if you are to believe entails have legal authority (and this is debatable), then Philippa of Clarence is out of the succession. This will probably cause problems in ATL since, as I say above, there's really nothing to stop March from taking over royal government here, and so we may see March's retainers push to recognize Philippa as Richard's heir in parliament -- direct contradicting Edward's entail.

Otoh I'm not sure Bolingbroke likes them enough to demand/lobby for their legitimation (I've seen BOTH him loving his half siblings to hell and back and hating them with every inch of his soul).
Bolingbroke seems to have been close with John and withdrew from public life entirely for a time upon John's death in OTL. His relationship with Henry doesn't seem like it was particularly good.

The count of Holland/duke of Brittany is more likely if the Foix guy still marries Béatrix d'Armagnac. I think Brittany was Edward III's idea. @Brita
I don't know if Philippa was considered for John III of Brittany OTL but since his first two wives were English I can see him marry her.
In 1381/2 Philippa was offered in marriage to Jean de Blois, claimant to the duchy of Brittany; and in 1383 her prospective husband was Count William of Ostrevant, the heir to Hainault, Holland and Zeeland
Brittany seriously F-ed the English after the death of Charles V, and so I don't think there was much interest on either side for a third Anglo-Breton match. (Indeed, a Blois-Lancastrian match may have been floated specifically as a "F you" to Montfort.) A Low Countries match would have much greater value for England, but would Philippa be as desirable on the international market without her wealthy, European-focused father leading the negotiations for her?

Bit of a stretch, isn't it? Gloucester being pro-war means Richard likely gets brought up in more "martial" atmosphere. Maybe Richard decides to go to war with France instead of the "pause" like OTL. Which, while not so good for the English coffers, would probably be better giving those lords who were sitting idly on their hands and chafing at it something "worthwhile" to do. But that doesn't mean there won't be a reaction to Richard wanting war as much as there was one against him not going to war OTL.
Richard was brought up in a martial atmosphere, the problem was that he was frequently expected to live upto the standards set by Edward III and TBP, which given their reps in effect scared him off fighting. If it's intensified in ATL, do we see a martial Richard or an extra Artsy Richard?
Which means if Gloucester takes a different approach to "child rearing" we could see a different Richard forming.
Richard got a martial training, but refused to act on it. Considering he grew up in his own household, apart from Gaunt, I'm not sure that Gaunt's death would do much to affect Richard's character.

It could rewrite Bolingbroke, though. He was initially part of Richard's household -- along with Stafford, Mowbray, and Richard's other favorites -- but left to join his father's household seemingly because they boys didn't get along. Where would he go in ATL? To Langley's household? Or would he be forced to stick it out with Richard even though they didn't really care for one another?

If Gaunt died while Constance was still alive, and so without marrying Katherine I can not see how their sons (as Joan would be butterflied here) would be ever able to aspire to be legitimized. They are simply Gaunt’s bastard sons and that can not change.
Do you know if the father needed to be alive to legitimize his sons? Like, it is even possible to legitimize the Beauforts after Gaunt's death under the laws of the day?

Gaunt seems to have rankled at the fact that he didn't have an impressive list of military victories (think the only one he had was Najera).
Gaunt very nearly achieved glory in 1369-70. Burgundy had amassed a large army to destroy the city, but Gaunt had managed to lead an expedition across the Channel undetected. He led a small army out of the city and managed to take the French by surprise, scatter their larger army without actually having to give battle. Gaunt followed up on the success a year later, leading an army out of the city to attack Normandy. Gaunt managed to take a few towns and terrorize the countryside, loading up on treasure. It apparently caused Charles V great distress, but Boucicaut's defeat of Robert Knolles in the Île-de-France and an outbreak of dysentery in Gaunt's army quickly put the French back on top.

Out of curiosity, what happens to Constance of Castile in this scenario? Does she remarry? She's only 23yo after all.
I'm sure she'd be very well off as dowager duchess of Lancaster, and she was apparently very close with her daughter and stepchildren, so she could continue to raise the girls in her household. Also, everyone has got to realize that they cannot possibly let her remarry, right? Right?!

Although, if Eleanor of Aragon dies on schedule, could Constance be wed to Juan I as a way to remove Castile from the war? If Juan and Constance have a son, he could reign in Castile while Enrique could be king of Portugal by his marriage to Beatriz (or vice versa).

Or perhaps there is a double-first cousin marriage between Catherine of Lancaster and Edward of York to unite their claims to Castile and keep the Petrist cause alive?

(My brain is breaking at how completely different alt Iberia could be.)

Which means someone holds Henry's power for him. Who will that be TTL? What happens when Henry wants it back?
York or Gloucester come to mind. Arundel, Warwick etc wouldn't be implausible either.

One assumes that it'll be taken back by some means or the other. Adult Henry can out resource any opposition, and I think most would just give the powers up, tbh.
Edmund holding the Lancastrian lands and offices during Henry's minority makes the most sense as he is he seniormost royal (by age if not rank) and was also very close with Gaunt on a personal level, and so could be trusted to have Henry's best interest at heart. Though would the estate be run with the crown if Henry remained a part of Richard's household in ATL?