WI: John Adams wins in 1800?

John Adams famously became the first one-term President by virtue of his defeat in the 1800 Presidential Election by Thomas Jefferson. However, what if that had not happened? How could Adams win, and what would a second term for John Adams look like?

Assuming the Federalists can hold Congress, then there would be no cuts to the U.S. Military during Adams' second term. That might help the U.S. going into a potential War of 1812.

If New York had narrowly gone for Adams, instead of narrowly going for Jefferson, then he would've been re-elected. One way for this to happen is if Hamilton had been able to swallow his ego and he decided not to publish his ant-Adams rant before the election. But even if he'd won Adams would be working with a Republican House, so that would stymie his domestic agenda. He purchases Louisiana from France in 1803 and he probably starts West Point the year before. On the whole, Adams would be remembered as a very good if not a great President.

As for 1804, after two losses I don't think Jefferson would run again. George Clinton is the more likely Republican candidate and after 8 years of a Federalist President he would probably win. After that he is probably re-elected in 1808, although he could very die in office in 1812. I'm sure his VP would be elected to a full term in the fall, as 1924 and 1964 show voters don't wan't three Presidents in one year. By 1816 the Federalists may return to power, perhaps under John Quincy Adams.

Last edited:
As for 1804, after two losses I don't think Jefferson would run again.
Presidential elections were still a pretty new phenomenon at that time, and candidates didn't openly campaign, so there wasn't any stigma against losing multiple times. Then again, Jefferson was rather flaky and considered retiring from public life on multiple occasions, so it's possible that he'd actually commit to it in this ATL 1804.
By 1816 the Federalists may return to power, perhaps under John Quincy Adams.
The Federalists still suffered from a lot of structural problems (namely, they were bad at political organising and were unpopular outside of the upper class), so I'm not sure whether an Adams victory in 1800 would be enough to save them.

Keep the Republicans from taking over the New York legislature, likely by muting Burr's campaigning. Thus, New York would cast its electors for Adams, and thus Adams would win.

As for what will change, not much. He would still buy Louisiana, the economy's likely to still be pretty good, and Adams would likely end office a well-liked president.

Whoever the Republicans nominate is likely to win the subsequent election, and I suspect the innate disadvantages the Federalists have would still result in their hopeless decline.