WI: Irina Godunova becomes Tsarina?

Irina Gudunova was the wife of the last Rurikid Tsar, Feodor. They had no children except for a lone daughter who died young, and there were many court intrigues in an attempt to have the Tsar divorce her on account on her alleged infertility, although her and Feodor may have simply been a bad 'match.'

After Feodor's death, she withdrew to a monastery and took the veil, and the Zemsky Sobor offered the crown to Boris Godunov. One interesting aspect that Wikipedia notes, although I'm not sure how credible, is that Irina could've perhaps taken the throne as a reigning Tsarista, rather than a mere consort, given the fact the Rurikid dynasty was extinct. One plus would be a connection to the former dynasty as Feodor's wife, although Russia had never had a reigning female ruler (they'd have to wait another century for that). But at least later on in Russian history, a woman claiming the throne from her husband wasn't an entirely uncommon occurrence, with women such as Catherine I and Catherine II, as well as Peter I's daughters. Even Maria Feodorovna, wife of Paul I, tried to claim the throne over her son following his death. These were women of a different time, but it's still an interesting question, considering Sophia's regency for her brothers Ivan and Peter nearly a century later. Perhaps the Russians wouldn't be as opposed to a female ruler as one might think.

What if after Feodor's death, Irina claims the throne in her own right? What happens? Do the Boyars attempt to manipulate her and use her as a puppet, or does she find herself a 16th century Maria Feodorovna who is wholly ignored and by passed in fave or the original man elected by the Zemsky? Would her reign avoid the time of troubles or merely postpone them? Is she allowed to reign alone or is a new husband forced upon her? Should she reign alone, what policies might she pursue? Unfortunately we know little about her personality, but the idea of a late 16th century Tsarina in Russia is quite interesting.

Last edited:
Well she was in her early 40's so would she marry her successor or try for an heir, I mean its a long shot but not unheard off? Second who would she marry?

I personally think the Boyar Duma might pressure her to remarry, although whether she does is it is up in the air. Again, we don't know much of her personality; she might;ve venerated her husband and thus refuse any remarriage, or decide to remarry for the sake of the state.

There is the issue of her age, yes. But Irina's first and only child was born in 1592, so she'd only be 41 in 1548. Childbirth, especially in the 16th century was difficult and even hazardous for older women. Irina may of had her own fertility problems, or perhaps Feodor. So if he did marry, one child at the very least wouldn't be too much farfetched, Maybe even two if they are close together. Of course, an heir isn't of total importance. She could always adopt a successor or like, Liz, refuse to name one. I'm more curious upon her actually reigning.

Possible husbands might include Filaret Romanov, who was not yet a cleric; Vasili Shuiski who was Vasili IV OTL. One interesting twist might the False Dmitri appearing oh the scene and Irina marrying him... unlikely but quite a good idea to implode things.

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
Now Irina is an interesting case. I highly doubt she'd live long enough to rule Russia (OTL she died 1603, which meant if she ruled she would rule for at least 5 years at best, give or take a couple years.

Now many boyars were not really fond of the Gordunov's, if her brother Boris and her nephew, Feodor were any suggestion. Chances are she would be a weak monarch compared to her husband (who even then was not a strong ruler in the case of politics, the only notable being that he terminated the possibility of an alliance with England.) So chances are there will be a conflict between her family members (mainly her brother) and the other boyars to influence her, and yes it would be to the point where a husband may be imposed on her. Now the question would be, would her daughter survive?

Now Irina is an interesting case. I highly doubt she'd live long enough to rule Russia (OTL she died 1603, which meant if she ruled she would rule for at least 5 years at best, give or take a couple years.

Now many boyars were not really fond of the Gordunov's, if her brother Boris and her nephew, Feodor were any suggestion. Chances are she would be a weak monarch compared to her husband (who even then was not a strong ruler in the case of politics, the only notable being that he terminated the possibility of an alliance with England.) So chances are there will be a conflict between her family members (mainly her brother) and the other boyars to influence her, and yes it would be to the point where a husband may be imposed on her. Now the question would be, would her daughter survive?

Indeed, I wonder frina will favor her Gundonov relatives. Lands, titles, ect. Her original date of death in 1603, but as Tsarina she'd have access to better care. IOTL she lived in a monestery and understook heavy charity work. I could see her living to 1608, maybe 1610.

As doe hwe daughter, unfortunately her daughter by Feodor died young. Not long after birth iirc. If the Boyar Duma fears the Gundonovs, they may arrange a marriage for nIrina into another familty--perhaps she marries her cousin in secret...

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
And whom might this cousin be?

I never thought of the fact of what entails her monastery work, so that would change everything. If we maintain the fact that Irina's daughter, Feodosia Feodorovna, did die young (at age 2) then perhaps it could help to pass the throne to one of the nobles by marriage, though it might not produce any heirs. However, I do not believe it would butterfly away the time of troubles, but it might delay and/or weaken the opposing factions involved/strengthen Russia.

She could possibly marry Boris, the man originally elected Tsar. He'd married, but divorce was quite common in Muscovy. I believe if a Tsar wanted a woman, he could force her to divorce her huband; I wonder if Irina could do that if she was smitten enough.

Yeah, Irina would def have no heirs. She may be pushed to marry at 41, not only for hope of an heir (a son) but also someone to govern for her. I'm not sure the Boyars would think her capable of governing. I agree her reign will most likely delay the troubles, as she will probably name an unpopular Gundonov as heir; if she somehow manages to have a child (hey, even in the 16th century women in their 40s sometimes have kids... but the window in short) that might cause issues. All the better if they are super incompetent, or even better, die early, so Irina has no heir again by default.

Actually, wouldn't Ksenia Godunova be a suitable Tsarina than Irina because she's young and she is in a ripe age of child bearing. For one of my planned rewritten TLs, I was thinking of having her marry John, Duke of Ostergotland.

Actually, wouldn't Ksenia Godunova be a suitable Tsarina than Irina because she's young and she is in a ripe age of child bearing. For one of my planned rewritten TLs, I was thinking of having her marry John, Duke of Ostergotland.

Well, especially in later Russian history (esp. the 17th - 18th century), the vast majority of Empresses became Empress by ousting their husbands, or by claiming their right to rule him. Anna and Elizabeth are the only exceptions, being Peter I's daughter. Irina would be a suitable Tsarina despite her age because of her former marriage. The most common ploy used by the succeeding Empresses was that they had been crowned with their husband. Irina could certainly use that excuse.

Ksenia may be possible Tsarina during the reign of Boris and the like, maybe if Feodor II dies, but she has no chance in 1598. She's practical nonentity to while able to bear children, too young. Age isn't important, as Irina would still probably have to remarry. And there is still a (slim) chance she might conceive. After all, she had a daughter in 1592.

I recall one Byzantine Princess who co-ruled with her later and effectively became Empress after her death. She never married but was forced too following her brothers death. She married in her 60s IIRC!

Well, especially in later Russian history (esp. the 17th - 18th century), the vast majority of Empresses became Empress by ousting their husbands, or by claiming their right to rule him. Anna and Elizabeth are the only exceptions, being Peter I's daughter. Irina would be a suitable Tsarina despite her age because of her former marriage. The most common ploy used by the succeeding Empresses was that they had been crowned with their husband. Irina could certainly use that excuse.

Ksenia may be possible Tsarina during the reign of Boris and the like, maybe if Feodor II dies, but she has no chance in 1598. She's practical nonentity to while able to bear children, too young. Age isn't important, as Irina would still probably have to remarry. And there is still a (slim) chance she might conceive. After all, she had a daughter in 1592.

I recall one Byzantine Princess who co-ruled with her later and effectively became Empress after her death. She never married but was forced too following her brothers death. She married in her 60s IIRC!

I'm not sure if it was true that Ksenia had a child. There was a movie with regards to a fictionalized life of Ksenia having a daughter by a fictional Polish ataman named Osipa.

I'm not sure if it was true that Ksenia had a child. There was a movie with regards to a fictionalized life of Ksenia having a daughter by a fictional Polish ataman named Osipa.

As far as know, she didn;t, She had two engagements to the Prince of Sweden and one of Holstein, but both broke down. When her brother was killed and the false Dmitri came to the throne, he kept her in his palace as a concubine until his Polish wife arrived. Then she was sent off t a convent.

As far as know, she didn;t, She had two engagements to the Prince of Sweden and one of Holstein, but both broke down. When her brother was killed and the false Dmitri came to the throne, he kept her in his palace as a concubine until his Polish wife arrived. Then she was sent off t a convent.

So in this case, it would be either Irina or Ksenia that should have a chance to become Tsarina.

So in this case, it would be either Irina or Ksenia that should have a chance to become Tsarina.

In 1598, Irina. Xenia at that point is just a teenager. Now, perhaps something might be possible for Xenia down the line if history goes OTL with Boris as Tsar. As Feodor II dies and Xenia gets married to the Prince of Sweden you suggested. But that'd be a different TL...

In 1598, Irina. Xenia at that point is just a teenager. Now, perhaps something might be possible for Xenia down the line if history goes OTL with Boris as Tsar. As Feodor II dies and Xenia gets married to the Prince of Sweden you suggested. But that'd be a different TL...

Yes, it'd be a different TL with the fact that the Swedish Vasas would take over Russia, not the Polish Vasas.

It's possible in a very vague sense, I'd say. She just wasn't, as far as I understand, a strong enough personality to pull that off. To marry to a strong (and Rurikid-sidebranch) contender would have been to doom her extended family's fortunes right there. She'd have to face down her brother, who was in charge of the government for a long time.

There were other Godunovs around too, not just Boris, of course. They were a very large and successful clan. They could maybe counteract Boris and ally with say, Mstislavsky, but I don't see that as particularly likely.