WI Ireland took advantage of the Falklands War to launch a sneak attack on Britain and liberate Ulster?

The Falklands War (in 1982) was concurrent with the Troubles. What if Ireland had taken advantage of the British Armed Forces being occupied in the Southern Hemisphere to launch a sneak attack to liberate Ulster and Unite Ireland?

What would happen to the British Protestants in Northern Ireland and the Irish Catholics in Britain (there are many in Liverpool)? Would some Greece/Turkey style population exchange likely result?

Could Ireland have successfully pulled this off? Would the US have come to Ireland's aid? Reagan (US President at the time) was half Irish and apparently sympathized with Ireland.

How would this have effected the EU?
I suspect that any sneak attack to liberate Ulster would get 3 counties in. The 3 counties of Ulster that were already part of the Republic of Ireland.

There was a report given to the Dublin government at the time (circa 1969) to the effect that the army had the capacity to hold Newry (key border town) for 24 hours while taking massive casualties.
That's my point, it was Exercise Armageddon, which pointed out even with everything they could find it was still going to be insane. If a Government had ordered it I imagine it would have leaked long before it was carried out and collapsed any government that suggested it.

You point out to me where at anytime Dublin has been in a position to change anything in NI without acceptance and permission of London since 1922?
You point out to me why speaking up for the minority in the north would have required unilateral action by the Dublin government, at any point since 1922.

You point out to me why speaking up for the minority in the north would have required unilateral action by the Dublin government, at any point since 1922.
Dublin can't say anything because the UK is/was the main trade partner by an enormous margin.
Dublin can't say anything because it has to protect its citizens living in the UK who might be targeted in any diplomatic escalation.
Dublin can't say anything because it needs to be a somewhat neutral partner to negotiate an agreement.
Dublin can't say anything to not appear overly partisan and revanchist in case the reunification ever happens.
Dublin can't say anything because it could invite unionist terrorism in the Republic.
And finally, while it can't say anything, I don't think many people in the Republic looked too closely where someone like Gerry Adams might spend his holidays while on the run from the UK

Last edited:
You point out to me why speaking up for the minority in the north would have required unilateral action by the Dublin government, at any point since 1922
You mean like having an entire Foreign Policy devoted towards arguing against Partition and trying to end it from 1922 to the Troubles? Like arguing from before the Troubles spiraled that Dublin had to be involved in any resolution of the underlying issues?

That and nuclear option should be the absolute last resort.
True enough, I mean really that might be "hard" to explain to anyone else anyway...
"So the nation with less than 20K of military, effectively no Navy or Air Force was such a threat to a G7 major nation that you had to nuke it?!"

The Irish armed forces would cease to exist by lunchtime.

This really should be ASB to be honest.
One thing I wonder: I imagine the Irish would get most of their weapons from UK stocks and suppliers right? It'd make sense.
How much ammo did that peacekeeping neutral force like the Irish army keep in the 70's? How long until they'd have to ask nicely to the UK to give them some more bullets, in the interest of fairness?

You mean like having an entire Foreign Policy devoted towards arguing against Partition and trying to end it from 1922 to the Troubles? Like arguing from before the Troubles spiraled that Dublin had to be involved in any resolution of the underlying issues?
In Ferriter's The Transformation of Ireland, he mentions the PM or some similar person in the Stormont regime getting a state visit to Dublin, while the leader of the north's Nationalist Party has his request to be "lunched" in the same style rejected, and is forced to be satisfied with "the humble of leg of lamb."

Maybe this snub was mandated by diplomatic protocol - or maybe it was an unnecessary two-fingers to our sundered brethren and sistren.