WI: Iran invades Afghanistan in 1998?

What if the killing of Iranian diplomats lead to an invasion of Afghanistan by Iran in 98’? Would Iran be able to install a friendly government? Could this lead to warmer relations between the US and Iran?

It would be interesting to see the Iranian war in Afghanistan. On one side you have Iran, Shi'as and the northern alliance on the other you have the Taliban, Al Qaeda and the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan. This naturally will effect the entire central Asia and Middle East

There was a timeline on here that used this as the basis, not sure what it was called.

It would be interesting to see the Iranian war in Afghanistan. On one side you have Iran, Shi'as and the northern alliance on the other you have the Taliban, Al Qaeda and the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan. This naturally will effect the entire central Asia and Middle East
Would it mean no 9/11 if Al-Qaeda is focused on Iran?

OTL, the killing of Iranian diplomats by the Taliban occurred on 8th August 1998.

Interestingly, the bombings at the US Embassies in Tanzania and Kenya occurred at 7th August 1998. This attack brought Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda to the United States' attention for the first time.

Bin Laden was in Afghanistan during this time, his first television interview occurring in Southern Afghanistan https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/binladen/who/interview.html

I'm surprised the US and Iran never cooperated to try to get rid of the Taliban and Al Qaeda.

OTL, the killing of Iranian diplomats by the Taliban occurred on 8th August 1998.

Interestingly, the bombings at the US Embassies in Tanzania and Kenya occurred at 7th August 1998. This attack brought Osama Bin Laden and Al Qaeda to the United States' attention for the first time.

Bin Laden was in Afghanistan during this time, his first television interview occurring in Southern Afghanistan https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/binladen/who/interview.html

I'm surprised the US and Iran never cooperated to try to get rid of the Taliban and Al Qaeda.
so in some atl iran and us united in invasion of Afghanistan after 9/11, leading them to becomes an us "allies".

Weird to think about it

The one non-Muslim group, treated relatively well, were Zoroastrians, they are prominent in the intelligence services, perhaps they were dispatched, to make intercession with the west, in the classic enemy of my enemy of my friend scenario. Iran if turned could be a powerful ally.

From what i've read, there is still a lot of hostility by many Americans to Iran, there is a chance they might actually support the Taliban should Iran invade.

It could make for a fun TL, I think the international community would be confused on what to do. It may lead to an earlier Iraq war since the US government could face a tremendous amount of pressure to do something militarily from the populous about terrorism.

so people alresdy talk about possibly of iran turn into allies, while it's sound bizarre, let's pretend it did happen.

consequences i could see :

1. better afghanistan, perhaps the taliban could be kicked way earlier.
2.about iraq, if it did occur, perhaps many iranians would join because of old revenge sake. regardless perhaps iran would share the same reputation the us had after the iraq war.
3. about palestine issue. israel was by no mean have a good relationship with iran. so we may have a bizzare event of us slowly progress to take the pro palestinian side in the conflict.

There was a period of broad attempted rapprochement between Iran and the US in the 90s, and the Iranians even offered support to the US against the Taliban in 2001. It's the Axis of Evil speech and the Iraq War that shut that particular avenue down and laid the groundwork for Ahmadinejad and the period of confrontation. Obviously an invasion stirs the whole neighborhood up - Pakistan would flip shit - but I can't imagine the Americans being particularly aggrieved by that. Bin Laden probably ends up doing much of the same stuff as before from Sudan. Assuming Bush still wins and Iraq is still on the table - and that's a pretty good assumption - Iran might be too distracted to make good on its opportunities there.

I can see the US basically going "Shame they can't both lose" and support both sides of the conflict to weaken both its enemies

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
I think the Taliban would ask Bin Laden for some help against the Iranian attackers and he'll probably feel obliged to offer some, even though he enjoys attacking the west more.

I can't really see it working out. The Terrain is bad, the populaltion is hostile. Iran's best bet is to send an expeditionary force after the Taliban, then get out.

Intervene directly on behalf of and support a faction, hope for the best.