WI: Germans and Poles switch places

This is kind of ASBish, but anyway I want to see to what extent were German and Polish fortunes and national temperament due to geography.

What if Napoleon in a fit of Stalinisque madness, deported all German speaking people (except in modern day Austria) out of the Confederation of the Rhine and into the Duchy of Warsaw. At the same time, all Polish speakers of the Duchy were deported to the Confederation of the Rhine territory.

Let's say for whatever reason both peoples decide its in their interest to accept the swap - as do the Prussians, Austrians, and Russians. How would history be changed?

This is kind of ASBish, but anyway I want to see to what extent were German and Polish fortunes and national temperament due to geography.

Königsberg (now Kaliningrad) is closer to Warsaw than to Weimar, yet it produced one of the most "German" philosophers, Kant. Geographical influences on "national temperament" seem to be limited.

But in the interest of science, I am willing a relocate to some Caribbean island and report any changes of my Teutonic characters. Donations accepted.

Redbeard

Banned
Königsberg (now Kaliningrad) is closer to Warsaw than to Weimar, yet it produced one of the most "German" philosophers, Kant. Geographical influences on "national temperament" seem to be limited.

But in the interest of science, I am willing a relocate to some Caribbean island and report any changes of my Teutonic characters. Donations accepted.

Me too, I also feel rather Teutonic here on a dark, rainy January night in Copenhagen - the effects of drinks served by dark eyed girls on a sunny Caribbean beach would be very interesting to observe. Would that be a project the EU would support - they support so much already - like mountain goat farming and straight cucumbers - why not this ?

Regards :D

Steffen Redbeard

kind of ASBish? you mean total ASB.

for one, Napoleon never had a strong enough grasp on the Rhine Confederation (I don't think).

well history would be changed because the enormity of this shift would collapse central Europe, there would be complete anarchy as Poles try to read German street signs and Germans wonder what the hell an Ulica is. :D

Well the Poles would be closer to western Europe and with it its benefits and downsides (like being squeezed by the French). But they wont have to deal with the Russians anymore and the Germans will.

What's striking with these two countries is that they were both central European nations and both being trapped between a powerful France to the west and Russia to the east. However one emerged a dominant European power while the other was subjugated by all its neighbours.

However one emerged a dominant European power while the other was subjugated by all its neighbours.

The roles were reversed until recently. Germany tended to be Europe´s battlefield and highway for foreign armies on transit (with the usual looting and raping), loosing territories to any neighbor, while medieval Poland expanded to an impressive size.

The best explanation for Poland´s relative decline has been given by US writer Eric Flint on Baen´s Bar, the forum of Baen publishing.

But my google-skills are weak, and I can not recover his rant. :eek: