WI: Edward VIII abdicates the British throne in 1936, but *doesn't* abdicate as King of Canada?

Just something I thought of. It looks like the Canadian throne has been separate from the British throne since 1931, and the Canadian government was fairly independent of the British government at that time (although Canada didn't gain complete independence until 1982).

So, what if, when Edward VIII abdicates as King of the United Kingdom in 1936, he doesn't also abdicate as King of Canada? Would this be legal?

And would the Canadian government be able to change the succession laws to allow someone who is married to a Catholic to become monarch of Canada? Or do they not have the legal ability to do so at this time. (I assume the Canadian government would more supportive of this than the British government was.)

If it all goes through smoothly, the end result would be Canada having its own monarchs separate to the British ones, with King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson presumably residing in Rideau Hall, and maybe having children to carry on the Canadian branch of the Windsor dynasty.

One big question is who will be king after Edward. Would Canada just return under British Crown or does it become republic?

One big question is who will be king after Edward. Would Canada just return under British Crown or does it become republic?
Good question. Maybe Edward and Wallis Simpson decide to have children, to ensure that they have successors to the throne. (Wallis Simpson was 40 when Edward abdicated IOTL, so probably not too late to have children).

If not, then I'm not sure what would happen. Can't imagine Canada returning to sharing monarchs with the UK. Maybe they would just become a republic.

Canada was just as against Wallis as the other dominions.....besides, the abdication was an 'all or nothing' deal, he either resigned as King or he didn't. It's almost an ASB situation being described here, where E8 picked and chose where he 'wanted' to be king. It didn't work like that.

Just something I thought of. It looks like the Canadian throne has been separate from the British throne since 1931, and the Canadian government was fairly independent of the British government at that time (although Canada didn't gain complete independence until 1982).

So, what if, when Edward VIII abdicates as King of the United Kingdom in 1936, he doesn't also abdicate as King of Canada? Would this be legal?

And would the Canadian government be able to change the succession laws to allow someone who is married to a Catholic to become monarch of Canada? Or do they not have the legal ability to do so at this time. (I assume the Canadian government would more supportive of this than the British government was.)

If it all goes through smoothly, the end result would be Canada having its own monarchs separate to the British ones, with King Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson presumably residing in Rideau Hall, and maybe having children to carry on the Canadian branch of the Windsor dynasty.
Well the Canadian government was fairly strident warning that the people wouldn't tolerate if the Edward married a divorcee, and to put his duty above his feelings for Simmon.

I suppose South Africa (whose prime minister was a republican Boer) may make moves to welcome E8 remaining King in order to weaken ties with Britain.

Asami

Banned
I suppose South Africa (whose prime minister was a republican Boer) may make moves to welcome E8 remaining King in order to weaken ties with Britain.

Eddy 8 as King of South Africa only would be a funny thing to go by. Not right away, mind you; but I could see him being invited in during the war just to piss London off.