WI: Edward VI has a legitimate daughter before he dies?

In your thread about Francis I and Eleanor of Austria having children, I suggested that their daughter may marry Edward VI and have a child with him before his death: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-children-for-francis-i.518630/#post-22440968
So, let's go for it.
Edward VI's daughter, likely named Jane, would be queen regnant as Jane I after her father's death.
Her mother is likely to be regent but her aunt Mary Tudor is another possible candidate. In both cases, it is probable that some religious reforms introduced by Edward VI would be revoked, maybe even leading to a full come back to Catholicism.
Jane I's Valois mother is likely to plan to marry her to the future first son of Francis II and Mary Queen of Scots in order to build a United Kingdom of France, Scotland and England. However, she would face huge opposition, possibly helping Mary Tudor to become regent instead of her. Of course, Francis II dying childless would put an end to this project.
Who Jane I would marry in the end is an open question. It may lead to a personal union. Or, on the opposite, Jane I she may avoid to marry another sovereign precisely in order to avoid a personal union.
Some possible husbands:
-one of Catherine de Medici's sons,
-one of Maximilan II's sons,
-Don Carlos,
-Sebastian I.

Last edited:
In your thread about Francis I and Eleanor of Austria having children, I suggested that their daughter may marry Edward VI and have a child with him before his death: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-children-for-francis-i.518630/#post-22440968
So, let's go for it.
Edward VI's daughter, likely named Jane, would be queen regnant as Jane I after her father's death.
Her mother is likely to be regent but her aunt Mary Tudor is another possible candidate. In both cases, it is probable that some religious reforms introduced by Edward VI would be revoked, maybe even leading to a full come back to Catholicism.
Jane I's Valois mother is likely to plan to marry her to the future first son of Francis II and Mary Queen of Scots in order to build a United Kingdom of France, Scotland and England. However, she would face huge opposition, possibly helping Mary Tudor to become regent instead of her. Of course, Francis II dying childless would put an end to this project.
Who Jane I would marry in the end is an open question. It may lead to a personal union. Or, on the opposite, Jane I she may avoid to marry another sovereign precisely in order to avoid a personal union.
Some possible husbands:
-one of Catherine de Medici's sons,
-one of Maximilan II's sons,
-Don Carlos,
-Sebastian I.
Don Carlos is assumed to one day be ruler, this will not help Jane I avoid another sovereign

her aunt Mary Tudor is another possible candidate
No. Edward would never let England fall into Mary’s hands. I think a regency council would be formed, consisting likely of lady Elizabeth and her husband, the Duke of northumberland, the marquess of Dorset, and senior churchmen. Queen Jane would probably be married to a son of lady Elizabeth and her husband or lady Jane Grey and the marquess of Dorset. The Habsburgs may try to have her married to a son of Maximilian ii and Maria of Austria, and a French prince is probably put forward as well, but I can’t see either of those suites succeeding.

Don Carlos is assumed to one day be ruler, this will not help Jane I avoid another sovereign
Sure but we do not know if Jane I would want to avoid personal union or would, on the opposite, search for it.
No. Edward would never let England fall into Mary’s hands.
Edward can not do much once he is dead.
lady Elizabeth and her husband
Why would Lady Elisabeth be married in this ATL?

Sure but we do not know if Jane I would want to avoid personal union or would, on the opposite, search for it.
Pretty unlikely she would wish for an union with any Catholic country as she would be definitely raised as Protestant
Edward can not do much once he is dead.
Edward can very well prevent Mary from ever taking the regency for his own daughter. England had a long tradition of males regent so neither Mary or Edward’s widow would qualify for that role. Most likely Northumberland would take again power as regent
Why would Lady Elisabeth be married in this ATL?

Pretty unlikely she would wish for an union with any Catholic country as she would be definitely raised as Protestant

Edward can very well prevent Mary from ever taking the regency for his own daughter. England had a long tradition of males regent so neither Mary or Edward’s widow would qualify for that role. Most likely Northumberland would take again power as regent
Lady Elizabeth could marry in this TL as Edward will want to use her to create an alliance, especially after he has a child.

Ok so, if the POD is that a daughter of Eleanor of Austria and Francois I of France (let's say Marie of Valois (b.1533) for simplicity's sake) marries Edward Tudor around 1551/1552 and has a daughter early 1553, prior to his death, then that pretty much throws everything we know about Tudor history around that time out the window. Marriage would signal his adulthood, meaning the Dudleys probably never come into power and possibly Somerset never is charged with treason. Granted, you could keep it in line with OTL and have Marie work with Northumberland to get Somerset out of the picture, but it's likely that her arrival, probably around 1551, probably formally ends the Regency. Edward dies with little Jane/Mary/Elizabeth/Margaret as an infant, whoever was in charge of the Regency pre-Marie steps back in, and we have an extension of that same Regency again, just this time with some French influence (probably helping Mary Tudor live a happier life). We might see an unattached Elizabeth Tudor marrying here, but it's just as likely she chooses to remain single and somewhat influential in her niece's life.

BUT, if the POD is Edward surviving until around 1560 and having a daughter, well, that's an entirely different scenario. Elizabeth of Valois is probably his bride, Elizabeth Tudor might get married off to some Protestant Prince to offset the new Catholic Queen (although, again, she may also be left single just because her bastard status makes her difficult to pair off) and then we face a Regency about a decade later, in a much more Protestant England, under a completely different set of Regents.

I personally think the 1553 daughter is much more interesting. You get a new Regency crisis, complete with the Tudor sisters actually being in a real position to try something, and fun French connections AND Hapsburg ones too. You might even see Eleanor of Austria stick around in England for a bit for added drama.

Ok so, if the POD is that a daughter of Eleanor of Austria and Francois I of France (let's say Marie of Valois (b.1533) for simplicity's sake) marries Edward Tudor around 1551/1552 and has a daughter early 1553, prior to his death, then that pretty much throws everything we know about Tudor history around that time out the window. Marriage would signal his adulthood, meaning the Dudleys probably never come into power and possibly Somerset never is charged with treason. Granted, you could keep it in line with OTL and have Marie work with Northumberland to get Somerset out of the picture, but it's likely that her arrival, probably around 1551, probably formally ends the Regency. Edward dies with little Jane/Mary/Elizabeth/Margaret as an infant, whoever was in charge of the Regency pre-Marie steps back in, and we have an extension of that same Regency again, just this time with some French influence (probably helping Mary Tudor live a happier life). We might see an unattached Elizabeth Tudor marrying here, but it's just as likely she chooses to remain single and somewhat influential in her niece's life.

BUT, if the POD is Edward surviving until around 1560 and having a daughter, well, that's an entirely different scenario. Elizabeth of Valois is probably his bride, Elizabeth Tudor might get married off to some Protestant Prince to offset the new Catholic Queen (although, again, she may also be left single just because her bastard status makes her difficult to pair off) and then we face a Regency about a decade later, in a much more Protestant England, under a completely different set of Regents.

I personally think the 1553 daughter is much more interesting. You get a new Regency crisis, complete with the Tudor sisters actually being in a real position to try something, and fun French connections AND Hapsburg ones too. You might even see Eleanor of Austria stick around in England for a bit for added drama.
No, the POD is that Edward has a daughter and then dies on his OTL death date.