WI: Denmark accpeted the U.S request to buy Greenland?

What would happen if Denmark accepted the 100 million dollars from the United States to buy Greenland? this took place right after WWII

Would Greenland ever become a state?

How does this affect the Cold War?

Does America try for other places as well?

What would happen if Denmark accepted the 100 million dollars from the United States to buy Greenland? this took place right after WWII

Would Greenland ever become a state?

How does this affect the Cold War?

Does America try for other places as well?

Greenland probably wouldn't ever become a state, tbh, but then again, why Denmark hung on into it after WWII IOTL is a bit of a mystery to me.

IMO, if we wanted a truly plausible Greenland owner switch..........why not Canada?

Greenland is far too small to be a state. Only 56k people. Think of the completely undue power they'd have in the senate and presidential election. It's one thing to complain about Wyoming getting three electoral votes, but Greenland would just be ridiculous.

There's also the language barrier, although there are few enough people that that could probably have been fixed by now with an "Americanification" policy. It'll just end up a small-sized territory with no hope of really becoming a state, like Samoa or Guam.

Greenland is far too small to be a state.

This problem is actually pretty easy to overcome. Alaska's population has increased tenfold since 1940, for example. If the American government did end up purchasing Greenland, it would be fairly easy to encourage people to move there through land grants and, of course, large numbers of military bases. Though it would be difficult, it would not be impossible to get Greenland's population up to 400,000 or more by 2010, which would leave it as the smallest state, but not by a whole lot.

That's what I was thinking. I would imagine with the US running the show, with a military base, radar bases, and mining and fishing operations you could hit a Wyoming-esque population pretty quickly.

would any major infastructure be built? like a highway? or is it just a waste of money? Would Nuuk be state capital? Also what would be the political situation? (what political party would dominate greenland? or would it be a new party)

60,000 is the minimum for statehood. American development would easily hit this by the current date.

Legally, it's the minimum for statehood. Realistically, it's far too small.

Alaska is not a fair comparison. When it reached statehood, it was pretty close in population. In 1960, shortly after statehood, it had 228k as opposed to Nevada's 288k.

Using Alaska as a model is good here. If you look at its population growth, a couple of driving forces were the military bases and oil. Presumably the Homestead Act had some effect, and presumably Greenland would get an exception similar to Alaska's when Homesteading came to an end.

The purchase of Greenland would take place after WW2, which is when most of Alaska's military bases were built. This cuts down on the immediate hot war need for bases. Greenland is certainly going to have a few military bases, especially with the pressure of the cold war... But I don't think it'd have as many as Alaska many. It has a strategic location for bases, but honestly, how many would the state would need? We have a base on Greenland as is, and the permanent population is only a couple hundred. I think we can assume that the population would be higher if this was American soil, but if we want to go into a population of ten thousand? That's two orders of magnitude, a pretty big change. Greenland has a very strategic location, but primarily for monitoring, rather than having a huge actual presence. Alaska is much better situated for big military bases.

For oil, we can look at natural resources of Greenland. And... until recently, there's pretty much nothing but fish. Some mining and drilling prospects have been found in the last few years, but even if we assume America will push that date a few years earlier, it's not going to make that much of a difference in five years or so.

Even with homesteading... Most of Greenland is really awful for living. It's a good size on paper, but I don't really see too many people headed over trying to set up a plot. There are much better cheap places to live.

A few small military towns, maybe a six digit population, but still not large enough for statehood to be realistic. And I don't know how much the native Inuit/Danish population would be for statehood. We can assume most of the people who move to service military towns would be for statehood, but they'd face staunch resistance from the tens of thousands (a significant number in this case) of people who identify as Danes (probably English speaking by 2010 but certainly not "American" any more than a typical Guamanian is).

Greenland is far too small to be a state. Only 56k people. Think of the completely undue power they'd have in the senate and presidential election. It's one thing to complain about Wyoming getting three electoral votes, but Greenland would just be ridiculous.

There's also the language barrier, although there are few enough people that that could probably have been fixed by now with an "Americanification" policy. It'll just end up a small-sized territory with no hope of really becoming a state, like Samoa or Guam.
IMTL, those would all become states...

That's what I was thinking. I would imagine with the US running the show, with a military base, radar bases, and mining and fishing operations you could hit a Wyoming-esque population pretty quickly.
I see someone didn't do their research... :rolleyes:

would any major infastructure be built? like a highway? or is it just a waste of money? Would Nuuk be state capital? Also what would be the political situation? (what political party would dominate greenland? or would it be a new party)
Highway? no... Rail? Highly Plausible. Power? Solar and tidal with Nuclear reserves for the Winter. Politico? Majority conservative with major conservationism. (I.E. Alaska Republicans)

would any major infastructure be built? like a highway? or is it just a waste of money?

Outside of a few ports, it'd mostly be a waste of money.

Would Nuuk be state capital?

That really depends on how the state develops, assuming it becomes a state. If it gets big enough because of military towns, it'll probably be the largest or wealthiest of the military towns. If it gets that big because of economics, Nuuk will probably get a bit bigger, and that'll be the capital. But it really depends, we're messing around with 60 years worth of development.

Also what would be the political situation? (what political party would dominate greenland? or would it be a new party)

Republicans. The economy would revolve around oil drillers and the military. It'd be similar politically to Alaska.

While I could see the U.S. giving up the place after the cold war, I'm not clear on why Denmark would be willing to sell.

loughery111

Banned
Wait... Greenland provides prestige? :D

Not really... it forces the Danish government to subsidize the average resident of the island to the tune of 12,000 USD per year, IIRC. So the total cost of supporting the island's residents, alone, is about 600,000,000 USD. Plus untold other costs to keep a functioning infrastructure going in that climate, for little or no return. Alaska at least has huge natural resource deposits (exploitable ones) that benefit the US...

I see someone didn't do their research... :rolleyes:

Actually I'm quiet aware that the US has a base there and has had radar stations there in the past...I think I did that research in 2006 or 2007 maybe :p...I'm under the assumption that with Greenland an integral part of the United States said base(s) would have a larger population (perhaps a combined total of 2 to 6 thousand persons depending on the era...) which would certainly help boost things. It also assumes that the government would provide a great deal of aid to potential inhabitants. I really fail to see how in a cold war environment with the proper aid and infrastructure that Greenland can't hit a six digit population which combines with its strategic value to become a state...