WI: Constantine and his daughters predecease Basil II ?

As the tin says, what if Constantine and his daughters, at least the younger two since the elder was a nun, predecease Basil by 5-7 years. Do you think Basil would take it upon himself to marry and have a child or would he simply designate an heir? If so, who ?

Possible impacts of no Constantine, Zoe and Theodora ?

Basil II would be in his 60s by that point. Not impossible to have a son but he would probably realize that he doesn't have enough time for that plus that said son would spend 20 years as a pawn of powerful regents/generals. Most likely he adopts someone as his own successors.

What happens next? It depends on who gets the crown, but I believe that the XI century (at least before the arrival of the Turks) was for the Romans a period of potential golden age that they squandered. They could have accomplished much more in Armenia, Syria (not a total reconquest but much more that OTL), and Southern Italy with their new found strength, and they got really close to it, but they did not because of awful and constantly changing leadership

Basil II would be in his 60s by that point. Not impossible to have a son but he would probably realize that he doesn't have enough time for that plus that said son would spend 20 years as a pawn of powerful regents/generals. Most likely he adopts someone as his own successors.

What happens next? It depends on who gets the crown, but I believe that the XI century (at least before the arrival of the Turks) was for the Romans a period of potential golden age that they squandered. They could have accomplished much more in Armenia, Syria (not a total reconquest but much more that OTL), and Southern Italy with their new found strength, and they got really close to it, but they did not because of awful and constantly changing leadership

Assuming he chooses a successor, I doubt he goes with the eunuch-influenced choice of Romanos Argyros. I know that Constantine Dalassenos, was Constantine VIII's first choice due to being favored by Basil and a successful governor in the East before the eunuchs messed with C8's dying head. Dalassenos might be a good choice here, unless he goes for the sons of Manuel Erotikos Komnenos, Issac and John, that he had been looking after since their father died.

we know Dalasenos would live until 1042 maybe a little more so the empire would be left in good hands for 20 years following Basil II death what happens next is anyones guess we know Dalasenos had family i just dont know how good they were still things being good till mid 1040s already changes a lot mainly Italy

we know Dalasenos would live until 1042 maybe a little more so the empire would be left in good hands for 20 years following Basil II death what happens next is anyones guess we know Dalasenos had family i just dont know how good they were still things being good till mid 1040s already changes a lot mainly Italy

Don't know how accurate this genealogy is but it gives him two sons, one of whom is the grandfather of Anna Dalassena, Alexios Komnenos's mother. I know some other places say that she is descended from Constantine's brother, Romanos, but who knows which is accurate.

Assuming he chooses a successor, I doubt he goes with the eunuch-influenced choice of Romanos Argyros. I know that Constantine Dalassenos, was Constantine VIII's first choice due to being favored by Basil and a successful governor in the East before the eunuchs messed with C8's dying head. Dalassenos might be a good choice here, unless he goes for the sons of Manuel Erotikos Komnenos, Issac and John, that he had been looking after since their father died.
Don't know enough about Dalassenos but if he really was favored by Basil II and a successful governor then that bodes well for the Romans. The empire around this time was internally healthy and strong, a sane emperor that keeps the aristocracy in check and the coffers well replenished would be enough to ensure the empire is not crippled when facing the Turks (those are coming anyway).

Don't know enough about Dalassenos but if he really was favored by Basil II and a successful governor then that bodes well for the Romans. The empire around this time was internally healthy and strong, a sane emperor that keeps the aristocracy in check and the coffers well replenished would be enough to ensure the empire is not crippled when facing the Turks (those are coming anyway).

I guess it all depends on if Basil’s appointed successor would carry the legitimacy of the Macedonian dynasty or if there will be attempts to overthrow Dalassenos/whoever by those are crave power. As long as Dalassenos/whoever can crush any attempts to seize power from them, the empire will be stable leading up to the Turkish incursions.

Ok so Dalassenos do him being a competent emperor and with Basil II blessing still would have to deal with revolts ( a best case scenario would be Constantine and zoe to die in 1018 leaving a 37 year old Theodora while old a pregnancy at this point is not impossible) or nephew if not great most be at least an C tier emperor for things to not go terrible assuming he dies in mid 1040s that saved the empire from some issues as they avoid Romanos III issues, sicily is likely reconquered and the normans do not take over italy and the bulgarian revolt does not occur, the debasment of the solidus

but there is still a gap of 30 years from 1040s to 1070s and sure the system left behind by basil was so strong that things did not start to go badly till 1050s that would mean even if Dalassenos heirs are as bad as the otl emperors it migth have given the empire some time to post pone a crisis