WI: Children of the Catholic Monarchs switch genders

If we have four brothers then they can play different roles. Juan as the king, Ferdinand consolidating power for Spain in Naples, Alfonso being the backup/warrior General for his brother and marrying a castilian heiress and Miguel/Peter as the prelate and spiritual warhorse.

So Catherine of Navarre for John, Alfonso of Portugal for Isabella, Ferdinand for Anne of Brittany?, Spanish heiress/Italian noblewoman for Alfonso and church for Miguel/Peter then?
The original plan for Ferdinand of Aragon was not to reign as King of Aragon but to marry Mary of Burgundy, so having Ferdinand his namesake marry Anne would look ironic actually.

I think who Catherine of Navarre for John and Alfonso of Portugal for Isabella are guaranteed, then Joanna of Naples is more likely than Anne of Brittany for Ferdinand. Any Spanish heiress or a good italian match can work for Alfonso

Yes, I think he is. With Juan reigning in his parents kingdom and Navarre, Ferdinand in Naples and Alfonso playing backup to Juan, Miguel/Peter is likely to enter the church. I can see him ending up as Archbishop of Toledo
Assuming the Tudor takeover of England is not derailed by butterflies, who could be a good match for Arthur, prince of Wales?

Elizabeth of Denmark for Arthur?

Since Juan and Ferdinand is gonna marry women who aids Ferdinand's plan for Aragon, I think Alfonso and Miguel/Peter should stay in Castile to prevent any temper tantrum about Aragon getting the best deal. Joanna of Naples is a better match then Charlotte for Ferdinand me thinks.

Last edited:
Why not Jaime for youngest son of Catholic Monarchs? That is one of traditional names of Aragonese monarchs and St. James was quite popular saint in Iberian Peninsula.

Assuming the Tudor takeover of England is not derailed by butterflies, who could be a good match for Arthur, prince of Wales?
Margaret of Austria or potential daughter of Juan Trastamara?

Why not Jaime for youngest son of Catholic Monarchs? That is one of traditional names of Aragonese monarchs and St. James was quite popular saint in Iberian Peninsula.

Margaret of Austria or potential daughter of Juan Trastamara?
Margaret is five years older than Arthur or she would be perfect but a daughter of Juan and Catalina would be really good
And Jaime is a very good alternative to Miguel as name for ATL Catherine...
@BlueFlowwer‘s suggestion of Elizabeth of Denmark can work but Anne of Foix-Candale is too low in rank for the heir of England. Germaine of Foix, being niece of the King of France, would be better than her cousin.
Still neither Elizabeth of Denmark or Germaine of Foix have Lancastrian blood so Isabella/Juana/Magdalena/Leonora/Catalina of Spain is the best choice around

Last edited:
Germaine brings french support and recognition to the Tudors, so she might be good. If something happens to her or Arthur, then maybe a spanish princess after that.

Juan III of Castile and Aragon b 1470 m Catherine of Navarre b 1468
Issue:

-Infanta Isabella b 1488
-Infanta Catalina b 1490
-Juan, Prince of Asturias b 1493
-Infante Ferdinand b 1497
-Infanta Ana b 1500

Juan III of Castile and Aragon b 1470 m Catherine of Navarre b 1468
Issue:

-Infanta Isabella b 1488
-Infanta Catalina b 1490
-Juan, Prince of Asturias b 1493
-Infante Ferdinand b 1497
-Infanta Ana b 1500
Either Infanta Isabel or Infanta Catalina will do for Arthur, and for Henry as well, if he still dies on schedule.

But isn't five children a small number for Catherine of Navarre? Given she and John of Foix had thirteen or so in OTL.

Either Infanta Isabel or Infanta Catalina will do for Arthur, and for Henry as well, if he still dies on schedule.

But isn't five children a small number for Catherine of Navarre? Given she and John of Foix had thirteen or so in OTL.
Oh yes, I'm sure Catherine and John would have more children than that.

Juana I of Castile m. Alfonso V of Portugal d. 1481(a) m. Juan, Prince of Girona b. 1470 d. 1498(b)
1a. Infanta Leonor b. 1480 m. Philip of Burgundy
2a. Ferdinand III of Aragon and Castile b. 1485
3a. Infanta Juana b. 1486 m. Arthur, Prince of Wales

Cecily of York m. Francis Phoebus of Navarre(a)
1a. Gaston I of Navarre b. 1487

Juana I of Castile m. Alfonso V of Portugal d. 1481(a) m. Juan, Prince of Girona b. 1470 d. 1498(b)
1a. Infanta Leonor b. 1480 m. Philip of Burgundy
2a. Ferdinand III of Aragon and Castile b. 1485
3a. Infanta Juana b. 1486 m. Arthur, Prince of Wales

Cecily of York m. Francis Phoebus of Navarre(a)
1a. Gaston I of Navarre b. 1487
I doubt that Juan III would marry La Beltraneja. Isabella would never let her eldest son marry a girl she considered to be illegitimate, and she and Ferdinand will likely be in an even stronger position in the war of succession with a son in the cradle so there’s really no need for it.

Would Ferdinand install one of his spare heir on the Neapolitan throne if the Italian Wars still happen?