WI: Catholic Mongols

By the time the Mongols were rising, the church had split into Eastern Orthodox and Western Catholicism. If you want Catholic Mongols, you'll need to avoid that. Of course, if you don't care what kind of Christian they are, your best bet is probably Nestorian or Manichaean (not sure if this counts as Christianity). Perhaps the Mongols convert to Christianity for the same reason the Khazar nobility converted to Judaism? I just don't see a good reason, as the Christians were largely unable to stop the Mongol advance, and Catholic Europe was full of ignorance, poverty, and bad sanitation, if any.

"What do the Mongols gain by converting?" is the question you need to ask.

By the time the Mongols were rising, the church had split into Eastern Orthodox and Western Catholicism. If you want Catholic Mongols, you'll need to avoid that. Of course, if you don't care what kind of Christian they are, your best bet is probably Nestorian or Manichaean (not sure if this counts as Christianity). Perhaps the Mongols convert to Christianity for the same reason the Khazar nobility converted to Judaism? I just don't see a good reason, as the Christians were largely unable to stop the Mongol advance, and Catholic Europe was full of ignorance, poverty, and bad sanitation, if any.

This is probably an uneducated guess, yet with such a large empire could they claim the title of Caesar for the Great Khan? Or at least it's Mongol equivalent. Or maybe they could claim to be the "Khanate-i-Romyan" or the Khanatye of Rome

This is probably an uneducated guess, yet with such a large empire could they claim the title of Caesar for the Great Khan? Or at least it's Mongol equivalent. Or maybe they could claim to be the "Khanate-i-Romyan" or the Khanatye of Rome

Why would they want that title? Pretty much no-one outside Europe would care about it.

birdboy2000

Banned
Conquer more Catholics.

Genghis isn't plausible though because he rules the whole Mongol Empire, and there are way too many Muslims and Buddhists there for Catholicism to look like a good option.

How far the Mongol Empire could go into Europe has been discussed to death here and I still haven't seen a consensus on how plausible it is, but a khanate based around Poland, Hungary, and points west would have a strong incentive to adopt Catholicism.

Mongols converted to Islam, not entirely for political reasons, especially the Golden Horde where the native people were EO and religion played a role when the Golden Horde intervened to help the Mamhluks in 1290 or so I believe.

If there is no EO-RCC split, and no Oriental Orthodox split even sooner (suggested POD would be a denial of Greek philosophy in the Early church, most of the early Christological divisions were essentially philosophical in nature). Then, by chance Ghenghis could be a far flung Eastern Christian. THere can even be a bishop out that way, though no real connection to Rome (such as India's Chrstians). Hugulu (battle of ain jalut general if I remember right) was a Nestorian CHristian OTL. It is not impossible.

The big thing that pagan groups converted for was to be part of an international community and normative relations with it's coreligionists. Which is why a catholic conversion seems unlikely. Although I could easily see the Golden Horde converting to Christianity. It's probably not going to be particularly catholic though.

scholar

Banned
Have the Frankish State and the Catholic Church launch another Crusade when the Mongols asked them to and the Il Khan promised to convert him and his empire to Christianity upon the conquest of Jerusalem. Do this, and you have a radically different course of history. I doubt it will last too long, but when the Il Khanate breaks up Catholic and other Christian states will emerge alongside the Muslim ones. Further, the Il Khanate converting opens a direct route to China, since the Il Khanate was allied to the Yuan Dynasty against the Golden Horde and Chagatai.

After Marco Polo visited Kublai Khan, Kublai Khan asked for one hundred missionaries acquainted in the Seven Arts to teach Western customs to his court. Unfortunately, Marco Polo returned to Europe during the longest period of sede vacante in history, delaying the Khan's request. When the explorer was finally able to make his way to the Pope's court, Gregory dismissed the request by sending two unaccompanied monks to the capital Dadu. Both men turned back almost immediately.

Although improbable, it is possible for Kublai Khan to convert if some Catholic missionaries are sent by Marco Polo. The results will be messy, and I predict severe problems, especially if Kublai Khan's cousin still converts to Islam.