WI Bush was popular?

Is the question "WI Bush is carismatic?". That would be scary I guess but he is carismatic enough to get reelected. Enough people liked him in the last election to get him elected.

As far as everybody like him or at least pretending, Clinton treated with respect thus making less angry left wingers, signing of the Kyoto protocool making the EU like him, avoiding the Iraq war, dont cut the taxes.

Or getting killed.

Or making a mind control laser.:eek:

Post-9/11, Bush was VERY popular. Even my very anti-Bush friends said they supported him 100%.

Avoiding the Iraq War might be a good way to keep Bush popular.

Perhaps Saddam Hussein dies in a freak accident. As a result, Uday and Qusay go to war with each other and both die.

A balanced media would leave him more popular, there are few reports of the positives going on in Iraq and a constant drumbeat of opposition quotes without publicizing the statements of the opposition. Note that certain events in the US get little/no coverage by our own press but somehow appear in the news media of other countries, example:
http://www.taipeitimes.com/world

A balanced media would leave him more popular, there are few reports of the positives going on in Iraq and a constant drumbeat of opposition quotes without publicizing the statements of the opposition. Note that certain events in the US get little/no coverage by our own press but somehow appear in the news media of other countries, example:
http://www.taipeitimes.com/world

Excuse me. Where was the balance when his false statements about Iraq, oh and Social Security were treated with such respect.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Bush could have stayed popular even after Iraq. In 2003 they were toppling Saddam's statue and actually HAD greeted us as liberators.

Basically, all they had to do was give Iraq back to the Iraqis then, keeping most of Saddam's govt in power. Some people, sure, should have paid, but most of the Ba'ath were like most of the the Nazis and/or Communists, bureaucrats, not believers

Instead, they decided that God had given them this opportunity to show the world a neocon utopia and so began the crusade to remake Iraq as America II, As It Should Be.

I just keep bringing this up so that later on we won't hear, "Bush sure had his problems, if only...."

Bullshit, that's the worse thing about Bush. He's had every break a pol could ask for, his problems can completely and totally be laid at his own feet.

Why do I find myself largely agreeing with Napoleon XIV?:eek:

As for other things that could have made Bush more popular? More political tact, and not playing so much into the hands of very conservative religious groups.

maverick

Banned
Have him die between November 2001 and November 2002.

No kidding. Much of the country hated JFK before 1963. Especially in the South.

Capture bin Laden sometime in 2002.

That would work too, but here's one that's even better:

Capture OBL as a result of a routine patrol by U.S. forces in Baghdad wherein a car is stopped with several WMD in its trunk, and OBL in the passenger or driver seat:D

Yeah, people tend to care for martyrs. What if he was killed by one of those anthrax mails?

As for Iraq that's the main reason why he probably is the most hated man in the world. So if USA didn't invade Iraq they would only make fun of him, not also hate him.

But how to make him really popular outside USA, except an assassination?

That would work too, but here's one that's even better:

Capture OBL as a result of a routine patrol by U.S. forces in Baghdad wherein a car is stopped with several WMD in its trunk, and OBL in the passenger or driver seat:D

And in the back seat are also Chirac, Kim Il Sung and Michael Moore. :eek:

Yeah, people tend to care for martyrs. What if he was killed by one of those anthrax mails?

As for Iraq that's the main reason why he probably is the most hated man in the world. So if USA didn't invade Iraq they would only make fun of him, not also hate him.

But how to make him really popular outside USA, except an assassination?

I disagree. Iraq is a convenient excuse to hate George Bush, but the "ownership society" and support for free trade, and U.S. sovereignty are what keep him unpopular in much of the world.

Now, Iraq going better would boost his numbers in the Anglophone world tremendously, but not elsewhere.

I disagree. Iraq is a convenient excuse to hate George Bush, but the "ownership society" and support for free trade, and U.S. sovereignty are what keep him unpopular in much of the world.

Now, Iraq going better would boost his numbers in the Anglophone world tremendously, but not elsewhere.

Remember those things dont make him popular in all quarters of the Anglophone world either. George Bush wasnt all that popular in the US before 9/11 and without that event ,and the GOPs exploitation of it, there was a good chance that the Democrats could have taken over Congress in the 2002 mid-terms and the presidency in 2004. 9/11 is what made Bush as popular as he was and his botched response is the main reason-in the US- that he is as unpopular as he is.

Remember those things dont make him popular in all quarters of the Anglophone world either. George Bush wasnt all that popular in the US before 9/11 and without that event ,and the GOPs exploitation of it, there was a good chance that the Democrats could have taken over Congress in the 2002 mid-terms and the presidency in 2004. 9/11 is what made Bush as popular as he was and his botched response is the main reason-in the US- that he is as unpopular as he is.

I agree that George Bush was a weak President before September 11, but I don' think he would have been weak enough to lose the Congress in 2002 without terrorism concerns.

Bush could have stayed popular even after Iraq. In 2003 they were toppling Saddam's statue and actually HAD greeted us as liberators.

Basically, all they had to do was give Iraq back to the Iraqis then, keeping most of Saddam's govt in power. Some people, sure, should have paid, but most of the Ba'ath were like most of the the Nazis and/or Communists, bureaucrats, not believers

Instead, they decided that God had given them this opportunity to show the world a neocon utopia and so began the crusade to remake Iraq as America II, As It Should Be.

I just keep bringing this up so that later on we won't hear, "Bush sure had his problems, if only...."

Bullshit, that's the worse thing about Bush. He's had every break a pol could ask for, his problems can completely and totally be laid at his own feet.

1) I thoroughly disagree about him being given any breaks by the press, they've been on this administration like white on bleached rice on a bone china plate in a lake-effect snowstorm. If the reasons for getting the gov't to reform social security were made clear people might realize the need for doing so ASAP
2) This administration got a lot of flak for Katrina, let's not forget that
3) Less waste in the government overall would restore cred to the White House, especially in the DHS and FEMA
4) More congressmen able to bridge the gap between the parties instead of polarizing everyone
5) Better control of the price of energy, especially gasoline

MrP

Banned
2) This administration got a lot of flak for Katrina, let's not forget that
4) More congressmen able to bridge the gap between the parties instead of polarizing everyone

2) And deservedly so. If one has a Federal Emergency Management Agency "tasked with Disaster Mitigation, Preparedness, Response & Recovery planning", then it really ought to be capable of . . . well, making a better fist of things than it did.

4) I'm not so sure about that. Granted, I am but an outsider looking in, but some very disingenuous campaigns have been mounted by certain people - the widespread meme that the Democrats are intent on destroying traditional heterosexual marriage, for example, or the ludicrous notion - which fortunately is now fading - that to disagree on the course of Bush's plan for Iraq is somehow disloyal or treasonous. Of course, if we posit that Iraq doesn't go to Hell the latter does vanish.