WI: Brown/Bentsen in 1984

Suppose that in 1984, the Democratic Party nominated Jerry Brown for President and Lloyd Bentsen for Vice President. How would the ticket do? Would they do better or worse than OTL's Mondale/Ferraro ticket? Would Texas and California become swing states due to having both presidential candidates from California and both vice presidential candidates from Texas?

I think Reagan would still swing California into his own column and Bentsen won't help pick up Texas. Doesn't mean they might be incapable of swinging something into their column.

I think Reagan would still swing California into his own column and Bentsen won't help pick up Texas. Doesn't mean they might be incapable of swinging something into their column.

I'd have to agree. It still probably would have been a landslide for Reagan, but Brown and Bentsen might have been able to get 50 or so electoral votes.

You might see a 50 state win for Reagan as he would be sure to pick up Minnesota which Mondale only carried by less than 0.2%.

As Reagan's lead in California was over 16% and in Texas over 27% he's not going to lose those despite any home state votes for Brown and Bentsen.