WI Britain never agrees to Masstricht treaty

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty much entirely counterfactual, based on propaganda and tabloids, usually fed by British politicians who love to blame the result of their own decisions on the EU.

Juncker said that the reason the Frence and Dutch rejected the Treaty was because they in fact supported deeper integration than was being proposed.

He explained the introduction of the Euro thus: "We decide on something, leave it lying around and wait and see what happens. If no one kicks up a fuss, because most people don't understand what has been decided, we continue step by step until there is no turning back,"

He described the Lisbon Treaty thus: "Britain is different. Of course there will be transfers of sovereignty. But would I be intelligent to draw the attention of public opinion to this fact?There is a single legal personality for the EU, the primacy of European law, a new architecture for foreign and security policy, there is an enormous extension in the fields of the EU's powers, there is Charter of Fundamental Rights."

When asked why he denied holding a meeting about Greece's Eurozone future: "When it becomes serious, you have to lie."

So I mean if we're talking about dishonesty...

What, what's so unreasonable about the comment?
Rufus couldnt have said it better:

It's pretty much entirely counterfactual, based on propaganda and tabloids, usually fed by British politicians who love to blame the result of their own decisions on the EU.

But I want to add something: The European Commission has a databank containing myths about the EU.

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/

Pretty much every contribution comes from the UK, ranging from the outlawing of British Acorn to forcing every zoo in Europe to have an Elephant as a symbol. This databank goes back decades, so when I read something like the Irish referendum myth again & again & again I can rightly say that a lot of anti EU sentiment comes from brainwashing.

The EU - or rather the EEC - would do what they always do. Change a few words on the treaty and try and get it through the back door.

Or they'd just hold the referendum again and again until they get the result they want. A la Ireland and the Euro and the Danes on other matters. The European Project *will* go forward and fuck the will of the people.
This conveniently forgets that some pretty huge concessions were made to the Danes between the first and second referendum- not least the ability to opt out of the single currency. The public voiced their concerns over certain aspects of the treaty, significant changes were made to reflect those, and they then gave their approval of their own free will-a fact which is seemingly ignored by most eurosceptics. I'd say that it quite the opposite of being undemocratic.
In regard to the post. There is a very real chance that if the uk parliament did not ratify the treaty. Then it would have brought down the conservative government of the day. And if it was done with Labour party suport. It could have devastating effects on both main partys . With possible cross party problems we see presently . I dont know who would win out. But i promise you that what ever happened. I would shatter the political consensus if the day.

And the UK could have left the EEC twenty years earlier. I dont know what that would have meant for the economy or party politics over the last thirty years.

Perhaps Tony ben as Labour leader. And perhaps the blairites forming a new party. And god knows what would have happened to the conservative party. The whole thing would be an itresting time line.
Whilst I agree that the whole thing would have some very interesting political consequences going forward, I think it is probably too late for a Benn leadership by this point. The man was very much in the wilderness at this point, and his party was firmly shifting toward the more moderate pro-European factions. Smith would most likely stay as leader even if the referendum was lost, (though he maybe slightly diminished figure) and whoever succeeds him a couple of years later would have campaigned for yes.

The Tories, on the other hand, could well shift toward the right a little earlier ITTL. Perhaps Major resigns and Portillo replaces him.

Last edited:
So can some of the posters on this tread exspain what any of there many posts on this tread got to do with the origanal qurstion.

What happens if the UK dose not sign in to law the Maastricht treaty.

Perhaps you could try and exsplain some of the short and long term ramifications of such an event. Perhaps going into the economic effect on the uk and the then eec!

Juncker said that the reason the Frence and Dutch rejected the Treaty was because they in fact supported deeper integration than was being proposed.

He explained the introduction of the Euro thus: "We decide on something, leave it lying around and wait and see what happens. If no one kicks up a fuss, because most people don't understand what has been decided, we continue step by step until there is no turning back,"

He described the Lisbon Treaty thus: "Britain is different. Of course there will be transfers of sovereignty. But would I be intelligent to draw the attention of public opinion to this fact?There is a single legal personality for the EU, the primacy of European law, a new architecture for foreign and security policy, there is an enormous extension in the fields of the EU's powers, there is Charter of Fundamental Rights."

When asked why he denied holding a meeting about Greece's Eurozone future: "When it becomes serious, you have to lie."

So I mean if we're talking about dishonesty...
Amusingly, these quotes come from British media. The most amusing thing is that it comes from the same media who are pretty much pushing hard for the solutions that involve the biggest losses of sovereignty, particularly when one looks at the trade deals the Brexiters want to negotiate with the US that make Brussels look like a bunch of libertarians.
So can some of the posters on this tread exspain what any of there many posts on this tread got to do with the origanal qurstion.

What happens if the UK dose not sign in to law the Maastricht treaty.

Perhaps you could try and exsplain some of the short and long term ramifications of such an event. Perhaps going into the economic effect on the uk and the then eec!
UK gets less and less relevant on an economic point of view, is increasingly dependent on unequal trade deals with the US, Japan, China and the EU. UK on its own is uncompetitive, lacks technological sovereignty, has too small an internal market for remaining a power capable of deciding of its own future.

Amusingly, these quotes come from British media. The most amusing thing is that it comes from the same media who are pretty much pushing hard for the solutions that involve the biggest losses of sovereignty, particularly when one looks at the trade deals the Brexiters want to negotiate with the US that make Brussels look like a bunch of libertarians.

UK gets less and less relevant on an economic point of view, is increasingly dependent on unequal trade deals with the US, Japan, China and the EU.

I would be interested to see if Juncker actually said this quotes, and in what context.

Glyndwr01

Banned
There are too many on this site who stand on the EU soap box banging their drum! Take it to chat or politics and be careful of the name calling!

There are too many on this site who stand on the EU soap box banging their drum! Take it to chat or politics and be careful of the name calling!
For the question at hand, the elements that applies to Brexit now would apply a few years earlier to UK. Less immediate economic shock to the country due to lower levels of integration, but very much the same end result in terms of being vassalized by larger economic groups due to being insignificant on its own. A few decades of progressively harsher trade deals putting the US under US, Japanese, Chinese and European thumb.

Without the European market, the entire concept of the City for being competitive in finance collapses pretty fast. And thanks to Thatcher, British industry is an oxymoron.

Glyndwr01

Banned
For the question at hand, the elements that applies to Brexit now would apply a few years earlier to UK. Less immediate economic shock to the country due to lower levels of integration, but very much the same end result in terms of being vassalized by larger economic groups due to being insignificant on its own. A few decades of progressively harsher trade deals putting the US under US, Japanese, Chinese and European thumb.

Without the European market, the entire concept of the City for being competitive in finance collapses pretty fast. And thanks to Thatcher, British industry is an oxymoron.
Only because the EU forced Britain to cut ties to trade in the Commonwealth, which at the time forced up the cost of common commodities and the collapse of some industries!

Only because the EU forced Britain to cut ties to trade in the Commonwealth, which at the time forced up the cost of common commodities and the collapse of some industries!
Ha ha, no. The Commonwealth left UK on its own, because UK was becoming irrelevant anyway and because the US simply barged in and took over UK's place with them. Canada was never going to be a massive trade partner with UK for long when its geographic position makes it a perfect partner for the US.

UK tends to seriously overinflate its own role in the world: from 1945 onwards, it was the US in charge where Canada, NZ and Australia are involved, UK's place for them shrinking naturally due to its increasing irrelevance on its own.

Rufus couldnt have said it better:

But I want to add something: The European Commission has a databank containing myths about the EU.

https://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/euromyths-a-z-index/

Pretty much every contribution comes from the UK,

Might that not be because it comes from the "EC in the UK" website?

ranging from the outlawing of British Acorn to forcing every zoo in Europe to have an Elephant as a symbol. This databank goes back decades, so when I read something like the Irish referendum myth again & again & again I can rightly say that a lot of anti EU sentiment comes from brainwashing.

It isn't a myth that the Irish (and Danes) were required to vote again after getting concessions of varying significance. But then, "this is the agreed text, take it or leave it" is apparently only a thing where the British are concerned.

Amusingly, these quotes come from British media.

Because they're english language translations. Here's the first one in the massively europhobic Der Spiegel -

"Wir beschließen etwas, stellen das dann in den Raum und warten einige Zeit ab, was passiert. Wenn es dann kein großes Geschrei gibt und keine Aufstände, weil die meisten gar nicht begreifen, was da beschlossen wurde, dann machen wir weiter - Schritt für Schritt, bis es kein Zurück mehr gibt."

The second is a mashup of two quotes from the same interview in the equally rabidly eurosceptic Le Soir -

Les Britanniques, c'est différent. Bien sûr qu'il y aura des transferts de souveraineté. Mais aurais-je l'air intelligent d'attirer l'attention des opinions publiques des uns et des autres sur ce fait ?

il y a la personnalité juridique de l'Union européenne, la primauté du droit européen, il y a une nouvelle architecture de la politique extérieure et de sécurité commune, il y a une énorme extension des champs de compétence de l'Union européenne, il y a la Déclaration des droits fondamentaux.

As for the third I have no idea on the position of Courrier International, but it is part of the massively anti-European le Monde group -

“Quand ça devient sérieux, il faut mentir parfois”

Yep. And considering that googling these quotes don't show much outside British media and tabloids, who make a constant habit of peddling propaganda...

It took me barely five minutes to find the above - wikiquotes was fine for sources for the first two, only the third was even a modest challenge. I'm not going to say you didn't look very hard because you didn't expect to find anything, but...

Glyndwr01

Banned
Ha ha, no. The Commonwealth left UK on its own, because UK was becoming irrelevant anyway and because the US simply barged in and took over UK's place with them. Canada was never going to be a massive trade partner with UK for long when its geographic position makes it a perfect partner for the US.

UK tends to seriously overinflate its own role in the world: from 1945 onwards, it was the US in charge where Canada, NZ and Australia are involved, UK's place for them shrinking naturally due to its increasing irrelevance on its own.
Look You like the EU I dislike the EU and it's pernicious rules and pickpocketing of Britain, France and Germany have what they wanted dominion over Europe something that Hitler and Napoleon (both suffering from small man syndrome) were unable to do militarily. So all the Eu supporters can form a circle and enjoy themselves!

Look You like the EU I dislike the EU and it's pernicious rules and pickpocketing of Britain, France and Germany have what they wanted dominion over Europe something that Hitler and Napoleon (both suffering from small man syndrome) were unable to do militarily. So all the Eu supporters can form a circle and enjoy themselves!
*rolls eyes*

Can you try to be even more cliche? Oh, and, BTW, Napoleon Bonaparte was actually taller than the average at his time. As for the 'pickpocketing of Britain', that's a really amusing take on things, but I love to see the whole lot of us being compared to military conquerors as an attempt to put Britain on some sort of moral pedestal and defenders of freedom.

EDIT: please don't make this a nationalistic rant that will get the thread closed. What I say about the irrelevance of UK on its own I would say about Germany and France as well. Neither of these three countries, if alone, could have any hope in hell to have more than Unequal Treaties with US or China and thinking otherwise is delusional for a French, a British or a German.

Last edited:
Well you got us there. Our endgoal is to turn England into a colony,

I'd be absolutely fascinated to learn how you managed to derive that from anything I said.

Juncker couldnt just keep his mouth shut.

Agreed. As Thande used to be fond of saying, the best way to persuade people of the merits of Brexit is simply to put pretty much any senior EU figure in front of a microphone and allow him to talk uninterrupted for a few minutes.

Well you got us there. Our endgoal is to turn England into a colony, Juncker couldnt just keep his mouth shut.
More seriously, though, the Suez Crisis was the final hammer in the coffin of any hope France or UK could have to be treated as equals to the largest economic/military powers. France went the way of the EU while UK has been oscillating between some sort of vassalization to the US (being massively dependent on US technology for strategic sovereign systems, for example) and going towards the EU (even if France didn't want the UK at start, which is a really counterproductive move if the goal was to exploit poor Britannia). Any country moving away from the EU common market and capability to negotiate as a whole with other countries... well, they end up being targeted by this: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/us-lobbyists-brexit_uk_5c5b26c6e4b00187b5579f64

And considering the relative weight of the US compared to any individual European country in the Nineties, it's perfectly delusional to think that Clinton wouldn't get that.

TL;DR? If Britain never agrees to the Maastricht Treaty, it eventually ends up losing even more of its sovereignty without having a say in affairs. In the modern world, the only way to remain fully sovereign is to be big enough, and that means the size of US, EU or China, and UK isn't nearly big enough, particularly as the Commonwealth was de facto gobbled by the US during the Cold War.

Anyway, on topic - if Maastricht goes down we either do the Ireland thing of minor concessions (though it's difficult to know what they would be as the UK already had opt outs on the most contentious bits of the treaty) followed by a second referendum or the treaty is put on hold until after another UK general election.

Ironically this might be good for the EU and bad for scepticism in the longer run as one of the drivers of Brexit sentiment is that politicians were making decisions over the heads of the people without consulting them. A referendum that spiked a major treaty would at least reduce the force of this argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.