WI: Bin Laden kills Obama?

I suspect that for the first few months, Obama is like the cruxified messiah. But there are some important differences between -- say -- 2011 and 1963, not the least of which is the Biden is no LBJ (and in any case, Caro's latest book suggests that Lyndon had a hard time in the weeks after the assassination.)

Let us also suppose that the inevitable investigation demonstrates that the assassination was the result of security lapses caused by Obama policies. The Sainted Obama could rapidly turn into the foolish Obama who got himself killed.

This turns the Democrats into an awfully gray party: Biden is 70, Hillary is 65 (and will be 69 in 2016), and -- seriously, I had to look this up to believe it -- John Kerry turns 70 this December.

I would expect that the Republicans run someone like Paul Ryan ("Steak Baby") as early as 2012 ITTL.

Yeah, the Democrats are mostly caught between the stars of the old guard and the rising stars that are still seeking to define themselves. I don't feel any of the younger folks have really established themselves too strongly yet - whereas we have our Big Three (Biden, Obama and Hillary) as well as the in-the-process of being redeemed Kerry.

If Biden and Hillary sit out 2016 (which they won't) it's going to be a damn interesting election.

This turns the Democrats into an awfully gray party: Biden is 70, Hillary is 65 (and will be 69 in 2016), and -- seriously, I had to look this up to believe it -- John Kerry turns 70 this December.

I would expect that the Republicans run someone like Paul Ryan ("Steak Baby") as early as 2012 ITTL.

Yeah, the Democrats are mostly caught between the stars of the old guard and the rising stars that are still seeking to define themselves. I don't feel any of the younger folks have really established themselves too strongly yet - whereas we have our Big Three (Biden, Obama and Hillary) as well as the in-the-process of being redeemed Kerry.

If Biden and Hillary sit out 2016 (which they won't) it's going to be a damn interesting election.

Considering how awfully young the last few Presidents have been, maybe a little age and experience is what we need.

Considering how awfully young the last few Presidents have been, maybe a little age and experience is what we need.
I'm all for it. I like Biden, Hillary, Kerry and Gore more than Cuomo, O'Malley, Warner, or any of the other folks being discussed. Considering the whole reason we have the vice presidential position, and the fact most candidates these days are living into their late eighties or early nineties, I don't see why people have a huge issue with the idea of an older president.

wait, does that mean not everything in the American military was used to get to Bin Laden after 9/11?

I agree the hunt for Bin Laden would heat up again like never before, but in this TL the intelligence services apparently still don't know where Bin Laden is. The talks would continue about if he's actually still alive or not (altough a new video message by him praising and talking about the assassination in great detail would prove that he is), and where in the world he is then. Joe Biden would force Pakistan to actually start cooperating and allow the search for Bin Laden continue on Pakistani soil, but there would still be uncertainty (and plenty of fingerpointing between countries) if Bin Laden is in fact in Pakistan, Afghanistan or somewhere else in the Arab World.
First, yes. We kept a lot of forces in Europe to fight the Russians if they come, a lot of forces in Asia to fight the North Koreans, we sent troops to Iraq only 2-3 years after 9/11, to attack a regime that had nothing to do with Al-Quaida.
Of course, this could mean that Pakistan would be under a LOT of pressure. The US would be trying to get Bin Laden and co, while some inside are wanting Pakistan's government to topple. Others in the government want to hang on to power, and if they have to deal with Al-Quaida, so be it.

And if the US goes to war with Pakistan, expect people to look back more harshly on the US's policy of treating Pakistan as an ally.

Joe Biden is not Dan Quayle. The only real time Biden has put his foot in mouth that anybody remembers is him saying "big f'ing deal" during the signing of the ACA. It is not like he told a kid he spelled potato wrong when the kid spelled it right, or criticized Murphy Brown for being a single mother. Or shot his friend while quail hunting and never apologized.

Biden spent over 30 years in the senate and would have a better working relationship with the congress than Obama has in OTL. Biden would have an easier time getting legislation through congress (especially if the Democrats still controlled the House), because he would know just who he'd have to cajole in congress and he'd know how to go about doing it.
Biden also has his unquestioning support of going to war in Iraq around his neck. (Let me repeat what I've said before. HOUSE REPUBLICANS allowed for more debate on if Iraq had WMD than Biden did.) I don't see Biden doing much different from Obama, though he'd likely be less tone-deaf. Republicans would still stand against Obama. This isn't the 1960's, where the only ones deriding JFK were on the fringe.
I could see Ron Paul doing far better in 2012, especially since Osama would have killed a President despite all the wars and increased surveillance and police powers. He could say, "We've tried it your way for almost twenty years. Let's try a new way."
I could also see some changes in the Democrats. This could embolden the antiwar wing of the party, though I'm not sure if Biden would try and keep them down. I'd love it if Biden faced Kucinich in 2012.

Biden also has his unquestioning support of going to war in Iraq around his neck. (Let me repeat what I've said before. HOUSE REPUBLICANS allowed for more debate on if Iraq had WMD than Biden did.) I don't see Biden doing much different from Obama, though he'd likely be less tone-deaf. Republicans would still stand against Obama. This isn't the 1960's, where the only ones deriding JFK were on the fringe.
I could see Ron Paul doing far better in 2012, especially since Osama would have killed a President despite all the wars and increased surveillance and police powers. He could say, "We've tried it your way for almost twenty years. Let's try a new way."
I could also see some changes in the Democrats. This could embolden the antiwar wing of the party, though I'm not sure if Biden would try and keep them down. I'd love it if Biden faced Kucinich in 2012.

I really doubt the American public would just let killing the POTUS by a terrorist group slide because Biden as a senator voted to give BUSH the authority to go to war on bad intelligence. Plus we all really know why so many Democrats voted for the IWR. After 9/11 the Republicans with their "freedom fries" mentality tried to make anybody who even looked at Bush the wrong way look like a terrorist sympathizer. Biden was up for re-election in 2002 and despite some Democrats best efforts, Bush and the Republicans made sure the IWR came up for a vote BEFORE the 2002 elections. Biden also criticized the troop levels in Iraq from the very beginning of the Iraq war. So even though Biden voted to give Bush the authorization, his support was not unquestioning.

The American public is not going to be singing kumbaya and saying give peace a chance in reaction to the assassination of the POTUS by a foreign terrorist. The public is not going to blame the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq for the president's death. The American public is not that introspective. We're more vengeful than we think, especially after we've been hurt. After 9/11 we weren't blaming our years military involvement in the middle east for 9/11. We blamed bin Laden and al-Queda. That wouldn't change.

You could have someone a hell of a lot younger running in 2020 or as VP in 2016.
Michelle Obama?