WI: Bin Laden kills Obama?

So what if instead of Obama organising a successful mission to kill Bin Laden, Bin Laden organises a successful mission to assassinate Barack Obama?

Sabot Cat

Banned
So what if instead of Obama organising a successful mission to kill Bin Laden, Bin Laden organises a successful mission to assassinate Barack Obama?

If it happens early in his first term, he gets canonized into the American secular religion like JFK was, and Joe Biden gets the blame for his more unpopular policy choices upon assuming office.

First , before answering , I want to know how and when Obama was killed , that way I can give an educated answer.

The Republicans choke on the Muslim birther garbage...and if Bin Laden gets located in Afghanistan he may get some instant sunshine.

You've got to be kidding. America would instantly canonise and beatify Obama. The national, nay, international mourning would be immense. Romney is, and always has been, a slimy, born-to-rule arsehole -- put politely. I'm not saying that as a centre-lefty. I respect Republicans in general, but not Romney.

Biden would use the Obama legacy to win election in 2012, if he wanted it. If not, the door's always open for Hillary.

Say this hapens about the same time Obama got bin Laden. First off new President Biden uses everything in the American military to get Bin laden. I doubt if he lives 2 weeks. The Tea party nonsesnse is discredited and the GOP suffers because of it. Joe and Hillary run together and get over 400 electoral votes. The Congress goes strong democratic party and Dems get over the 60 mark in the senate. Obama gets a heroes funeral in Arlington to rival anyones in history. Countless schools and babies are named after him. His widow is the most admired person in the world. The new Obama Memorial is finished in record time on the MALL in DC.

DTanza

Banned
Old Joe probably picks Hillary as his VP and Kerry gets SoS early. Romney still gets the nomination, probably does worse than OTL. Bin Laden still eats lead. Hilldog probably snags the nomination in 2016.

The Republicans choke on the Muslim birther garbage...and if Bin Laden gets located in Afghanistan he may get some instant sunshine.

PotUS Biden has endured great personal tragedy and is unlikely to simply break under this kind of stress. It's not a great question to explore, in that some people might perhaps fail to act correctly in this fashion, and I have little doubt that Biden will probably be say something stupid.

He's not likely to do something stupid, like using nuclear weapons, not unless assassinating Obama has something to do with a horrible terrorist attack potentially on that scale. The math might change if the USA were attacked by WMD, but the consequences of violating the nuclear taboo are still so serious that it might even be worth not retaliating in kind to a WMD attack.

I think 2012 moves like 1964--where a murdered President becomes a hero and his successor takes on a bunch of radicals who look really bad. Biden runs, and wins, better than Obama did in OTL. I'm not sure who runs for the GOP if it looks like Biden is all but inevitably going to win.

Say this hapens about the same time Obama got bin Laden. First off new President Biden uses everything in the American military to get Bin laden. I doubt if he lives 2 weeks.

wait, does that mean not everything in the American military was used to get to Bin Laden after 9/11?

I agree the hunt for Bin Laden would heat up again like never before, but in this TL the intelligence services apparently still don't know where Bin Laden is. The talks would continue about if he's actually still alive or not (altough a new video message by him praising and talking about the assassination in great detail would prove that he is), and where in the world he is then. Joe Biden would force Pakistan to actually start cooperating and allow the search for Bin Laden continue on Pakistani soil, but there would still be uncertainty (and plenty of fingerpointing between countries) if Bin Laden is in fact in Pakistan, Afghanistan or somewhere else in the Arab World.

You've got to be kidding. America would instantly canonise and beatify Obama. The national, nay, international mourning would be immense. Romney is, and always has been, a slimy, born-to-rule arsehole -- put politely. I'm not saying that as a centre-lefty. I respect Republicans in general, but not Romney.

Biden would use the Obama legacy to win election in 2012, if he wanted it. If not, the door's always open for Hillary.

Now that I think about it more, I think you're right. I'm no fan of Romney either, FWIW.

Kerry gets SoS early.

Interesting. I wonder how this would affect the Senate seats in Massachusetts?

No way Biden would lose to Romney or any other Republican in 2012 if Obama was killed in an al-Queda attack. Americans would "rally behind the flag" like we usually do after national tragedies. If it happened before the 2010 elections the Democrats would likely hold on to control the House.

Biden is a much better and more experienced politician than Obama is (like LBJ was compared to JFK). His years on capitol hill would help him get legislation through congress. Biden is better at politicking than Obama is. Biden would be able to better sell the Affordable Care Act to a grieving American public. Obama's death would cripple the Republicans long enough to get the ACA through a Democratic controlled congress. They likely would have been able to get the Public Option through the senate too. The American public would be in no mood for political attack ads, negativity out of Washington, and people yelling at town hall meetings.

Plus if bin Laden killed Obama there would definitely be a military response from a President Biden. Re-newed focus would be on finding bin Laden and crippling al-Queda's leadership. Biden would likely force his way into Pakistan (who would be lukewarm towards bringing bin Laden to justice). Biden and the Democrats would likely use Obama's assassination in 2010 and 2012, the way Bush and the Republicans used 9/11 in 2002 and 2004. But by 2014 the Republicans would be in a better position to likely win one or both houses in congress. There would probably be a scandal involving Biden's efforts to get bin Laden in Pakistan and the constitutionality of his efforts.

But America would not be in the mood for negativity if Obama had been killed and that would make it difficult for Romney or any Republican nominee to attack our new President (Biden). Romney couldn't even beat Obama alive. There would be no way he could beat "the Obama legacy." They would be naming schools and airports after Obama. They would put his face on postage stamps and coins (they already did that). He would be lionized much the same way JFK and MLK were after their murders.

Last edited:
No way Biden would lose to Romney or any other Republican in 2012 if Obama was killed in an al-Queda attack. Americans would "rally behind the flag" like we usually do after national tragedies. If it happened before the 2010 elections the Democrats would likely hold on to control the House.

Biden is a much better and more experienced politician than Obama is (like LBJ was compared to JFK). His years on capitol hill would help him get legislation through congress. Biden is better at politicking than Obama is. Biden would be able to better sell the Affordable Care Act to a grieving American public. Obama's death would cripple the Republicans long enough to get the ACA through a Democratic controlled congress. They likely would have been able to get the Public Option through the senate too. The American public would be in no mood for political attack ads, negativity out of Washington, and people yelling at town hall meetings.

Plus if bin Laden killed Obama there would definitely be a military response from a President Biden. Re-newed focus would be on finding bin Laden and crippling al-Queda's leadership. Biden would likely force his way into Pakistan (who would be lukewarm towards bring bin Laden to justice). Biden and the Democrats would likely use Obama's assassination in 2010 and 2012, the way Bush and the Republicans used 9/11 in 2002 and 2004. But by 2014 the Republicans would be in a better position to likely win one or both houses in congress. There would probably be a scandal involving Biden's efforts to get bin Laden in Pakistan and the constitutionality of his efforts.

But America would not be in the mood for negativity if Obama had been killed and that would make it difficult for Romney or any Republican nominee to attack our new President (Biden). Romney couldn't even beat Obama alive. There would be no way he could beat "the Obama legacy." They would be naming schools and airports after Obama. They would put his face on postage stamps and coins (they already did that). He would be lionized much the same way JFK and MLK were after their murders.

Thanks. I agree. Sorry about my stupid post before; I didn't think about it much before I posted it. :eek:

Bin Laden still dies.

Timing will determine a lot of what the response would be, if this occurs early in the first term the election, say 2009 or early 2010, this will be seen more as Biden versus (X) than Obama versus (X). Biden might lose in 2012 depending on the circumstances. A later incident, say 2011 or early 2012, would probably clinch a Democratic win with a different Republican front runner being chose as a sacrificial lamb, I could easily see Santorum being picked for this purpose.

Bin Laden still dies.

This. The efforts to kill Bin Laden will only increase.

Timing will determine a lot of what the response would be, if this occurs early in the first term the election, say 2009 or early 2010, this will be seen more as Biden versus (X) than Obama versus (X). Biden might lose in 2012 depending on the circumstances. A later incident, say 2011 or early 2012, would probably clinch a Democratic win with a different Republican front runner being chose as a sacrificial lamb, I could easily see Santorum being picked for this purpose.

I guess if there was a big enough scandal involving Biden, or if he did something really unpopular, he could lose, but in general I think Biden will win (if he actually runs, which I think he will), and ultimately be seen as a good president.

I actually had a dream about this once; an elite team of Al-Qaeda operatives are quietly sneaked into the US, each one meeting up at separate times. Then, when Obama had taken a vacation to an undisclosed location, the team conducted a raid that was almost blow for blow exactly the same as the raid in Zero Dark Thirty. Once Obama was dead, they all split up, half the team headed for Mexico, half headed for Canada. It was a cool dream, but I woke up before any conclusion could be made.