WI Bessie Coleman doesn't die in 1926?

MrP

Banned
Bessie "Queen Bess" Coleman was the first African-American woman pilot. Born in a family of Texas sharecroppers, she heard the stories of fighter pilots returning from the war in Europe while living in Chicago, and decided to learn to fly. Since US flight schools didn't admit women or nonwhites, she went to France in 1920 and returned the following year with her pilot's license. She became famous as a barnstormer and attempted to leverage her fame to raise consciousness about institutional racism. She was planning to open a flight school for Blacks.

She fell out an aircraft to her death in 1926; what could she have done had she lived longer?

MrP

Banned
I'd like to see her live long enough to become some sort of godmother figure to the 1950s civil rights activists, but I'm not sure what she could do until then. Barnstorming eventually lost its glamour, and it might be financially challenging to keep a flight school for Blacks open throughout the Great Depression. Perhaps she becomes an instructor at Moton Field after 1941?

I'd like to see her live long enough to become some sort of godmother figure to the 1950s civil rights activists, but I'm not sure what she could do until then. Barnstorming eventually lost its glamour, and it might be financially challenging to keep a flight school for Blacks open throughout the Great Depression. Perhaps she becomes an instructor at Moton Field after 1941?
This is likely it. I think she'd eventually get forgotten though or just become a name. I'd like to think she'd become friendly with Amelia Earhart as well.

Not sure if I've read about her before. Good find ! I plan to give early aviatrixes some smaller roles in my major timeline (in the future), so learning about another one I didn't really know about is very valuable to me. :cool:

A real pity she died so young in OTL. A cool scenario would be her remaining in 1920s Europe and becoming a renowned emigrant pilot in her own right, perhaps even in the nascent air circus, aerobatics and exhibition flying entertainment industry. In such a situation, I could imagine Coleman earning some extra money during her stay in Europe, as a sort of female version of Samuel Cody or similar. Loads of surplus biplanes and retired pilots after the war, so post-WWI Europe and North America took a pretty big liking to this new, aerial form of theater. It was rather huge during the interwar years, and much less regulated (and more dangerous) than the nowadays more familiar post-WWII style acrobatics and theatrics.

Later on, from the late 1920s onward, she could maybe try her skills at setting new aviation records. Though those were all the rage already before WWI, the interwar period saw a lot of new effort in attempting long-distance, endurace flights with the then-available technology. The first trans-Atlantic crossings, the first aerial circumnavigations of the world, the first flights over the poles, or the Amazon and Congo, or the Alps and maybe even the Himalayas... Plenty of oppotunities for geographic exploration and tech-enhanced heroics of a new kind. It would be interesting to see whether her and Earhart might develop something of a rivalry in the field of record-setting flights in such an interwar ATL. Earhart perhaps held up by some as the "American who stayed at home", while Coleman would be seen as the "American who went abroad, but also struck luck". Bessie's overseas successes could maybe also prompt some US rights campaigners and education-encouragers to petition the government to desegregate at least some aviation-related learning facilities.

I am totally stealing the idea of her surviving and playing a major role in <something> during the dissolution of the United States.

Archibald

Banned
I wonder if she would go along well with Amelia Earhart. Was Amelia the "average white racist" of the 30's, or was she a progressist ?

I am totally stealing the idea of her surviving and playing a major role in <something> during the dissolution of the United States.

Pity she died young. Had she lived to at least her 40s, the creators of the Crimson Skies setting could have included her in their ATL as a period aviation-related character. Maybe even working as an instructor, training new pilots for the air militias in one of the US successor states ? Hey, she even had the makings of a cool callsign IRL, so she could definitely fit such an ATL setting. ;)

I wonder if she would go along well with Amelia Earhart. Was Amelia the "average white racist" of the 30's, or was she a progressist ?

I don't know much about Earhart's personal life, so it's hard to tell what attitudes she had towards this. In a surviving-Coleman TL where the two could possibly have a rivalry, it would be interesting to explore whether Earhart's prejudices or lack thereof would get to play a part in the rivalry (even if it was just media-fueled).

Last edited:
Pity she died young. Had she lived to at least her 40s, the creators of the Crimson Skies setting could have included her in their ATL as a period aviation-related character. Maybe even working as an instructor, training new pilots for the air militias in one of the US successor states ? Hey, she even had the makings of a cool callsign IRL, so she could definitely fit such an ATL setting. ;)
I like this.

I don't know much about Earhart's personal life, so it's hard to tell what attitudes she had towards this. In a surviving-Coleman TL where the two could possibly have a rivalry, it would be interesting to explore whether Earhart's prejudices or lack thereof would get to play a part in the rivalry (even if it was just media-fueled).
Earhart was a complicated person (like most humans). Here's an interesting piece on her from the New Yorker.