WI: Beatles Produced "Lord of the Rings" Adaptation

It's a somewhat well know factoid that the Beatles wanted to star in an adaptation of Lord of the Rings. It's also a somewhat well known factoid that Stanley Kubrick was approached about an adaptation of Lord of the Rings. Kubrick thought the project was unfilmable, and the real death knell was that Tolkien refused to allow a film with the Beatles starring.

To quote Peter Jackson

“It was something John was driving, and J. R. R. Tolkien still had the film rights at that stage, but he didn’t like the idea of the Beatles doing it. So he killed it”.
That is a hurdle that is hard to overcome, but there is an alternative which inspired this: What if, rather than seeking to star in the film themselves, the Beatles had simply sought to use the film division of Apple to produce an adaptation? It'd be other actors, perhaps someone besides Kubrick, but approaching Tolkien with the offer that Apple films would like to get behind the production of a Lord of the Rings film.

The interesting thing I think is that removing the Beatles from the equation, at least anywhere but as the money men, really does move the project along. All it would be is money and organization offered to get a film going. Tolkien would probably be much more open to such a thing. The only thing standing in the way could be Kubrick if they really wanted him, albeit he could be convinced or someone else could become director. And if the film were a success, it could offer legitimacy to Apple and it's film division.

On the other hand, it could get caught up in the increasingly chaotic business and business-politic situation that overwhelmed Apple, as well as the unraveling and collapse of the Beatles themselves, and the production may suffer or wind up in development hell, or get so far before ceasing or get sold off to another production company, or whatever it may be.

I suspect Tolkien could accept a film where the Beatles merely had cameo roles.

Does anyone know if they ever decided who would play what role?

The movie would have been a cult hit just because the Beatles were in it. Beyond that... I guess it depends on how psychodelic the movie is because of the Beatles. If a lot, then it would have been bad.

There's another issue here beyond Tolkein's refusal, though that is the largest problem with the scenario.

It's a question of timing. Lennon became interested in a Lord of the Rings production in 1969. That is, around the time when the Beatles were splitting or on the verge of a split, and a time when Apple was a mess. If you want a Beatles produced Lord of the Rings, you somehow have to keep the band together long enough for the film to be made. Or at least, you have to put Apple in a position to have the financial wherewithal to make the film.

[Colonel Kurtz]The horror...the horror...[/Colonel Kurtz]

For me personally, considering my distinct distaste of all things Beatles, this would be THE China Syndrome of filmmaking. Fantasy as we know it today would be strangled, smothered, dismembered, ground up and turned into medium-rare hamburgers in its relative infancy and Tolkien damaged beyond repair.

Not a world I would care to live in.

Words cannot describe my level of disgust at the mere mention of the blasted Beatles in a LOTR adaptation :mad:

I suspect Tolkien could accept a film where the Beatles merely had cameo roles.

Does anyone know if they ever decided who would play what role?
IIRC Paul was going to be Frodo,
George - Gandalf,
John - Gollom and Ring was going to be Sam.

The point is that the Beatles don't appear it in; just have Apple Corp produce it.

And that open the next point: live action or animated? with the beatle not being characther, the later can be a feasible option(heck even the beatles voicing it)

But, le'ts say they manage to keep all afloar

Director: Kubrik is a mixed bag, for his perfectionist he is perfect and that is the main flaw.

Cast: British, american, mixed?

I've been thinking on it. It may be easier to get The Hobbit made rather than the Lord of the Rings, with the success or failure of that leading to an adaptation of the Lord of the Rings trilogy of books at some point in the near future. In terms of special effects, using traditional special effects (forced perspective, blue screen, potentially rotoscope animation, etc) I do think it could be pulled off in the 70s if properly planned out and directed. If it were Kubrick, I think it would be a hell of a challenge and something he could do if he set his mind to it, given his eye for visuals.

What you could have is a film which pioneers special effects somewhat ahead of schedule but which could still be done in the era, and you could give Kubrick experience which would help him with his Napoleon film in terms of having to stage massive set pieces.

In terms of roles, I think Leonard Nimoy wanted to play Gandalf.

J.R.R. Tolkien was a funny one in terms of adaptions. On one hand, he declared himself of the opinion that LOTR was fundamentally unsuited to drama, and he famously tore apart the proposed 1950s Zimmerman script. On the other hand, as he neared retirement, his stated policy became "either give me lots of money, or give me a complete veto over stuff I don't like."

I actually think, given sufficient money, Tolkien might have given way on this. His true hate was for Disney - as long a Disney was out of it, there remains the possibility of a Beatles adaption, however slight.

I've been thinking on it. It may be easier to get The Hobbit made rather than the Lord of the Rings, with the success or failure of that leading to an adaptation of the Lord of the Rings trilogy of books at some point in the near future.

If you're talking The Hobbit, the BBC made a radio adaption of the book in 1968. That might have some influence on the film.

In terms of roles, I think Leonard Nimoy wanted to play Gandalf.

Hopefully he won't want to sing his Ballad ...

Cheers,
Nigel.

What could really sell it is if the Beatles did a tie-in album. Not necessarily music to appear in the film, albeit McCartney or George Martin could do well at an orchestral score. And the horror may be that Nimoy may want to sing at some point in the film, given the inclusion of music in the book.

EDIT:
The thing about Nimoy is he wouldn't be that old circa 1970-something, so could he pull off the look? Certainly he could grow a beard and dye it grey or white, but would the old age makeup available in the era be too expensive or fake looking if used? Would he look fine without it?

Last edited:
What could really sell it is if the Beatles did a tie-in album.

Let's see, how about:

• Thorin Oakenshield's Silver Hammer
  • With a Little Help from My Friends
  • Being for the Benefit of Mr Baggins
  • All Together Now
  • Bilbo Bi, Bilbo Ba
  • Do You Want to Know a Secret
  • Nowhere Hobbit
  • The Long and Winding Road
  • You Won't See Me
:D

Cheers,