WI Balfour voted "one"?

When the British were contemplating purchase of new artillery in 1904, there was a debate about whether to buy both the 13pdr and 18pdr. It was settled by PM Arthur Balfour casting a tiebreaking vote for both.

WI he'd voted for just one gun?

Would it have made an appreciable difference in WW1?

Would it have mattered which he voted to support?

Would it appreciably simplify ammunition supply (or production) in WW1?

Or is this one of those WI changes only the artillery wanks on this site would even notice?:openedeyewink:

Thoughts? Brickbats?

From everything I've read the 18 pounder was superior in the conditions of the western front (by quiet a lot).

Theres a lot of comments in various sources that the 13 pounders were used in the Middle East and other secondary fronts. Those comments don't say if those guns were considered the best available for a secondary front or if being away from the trenches of the western front meant that a slightly more mobile artilery gun was more useful.

In any case the choice of a better gun for the Western front the key theater of the war is definitely the superior choice if just one was to be bought.

There was a massive shortfall in artillery early on in the war and experience on the Western Front showed that the heavier shell was more useful than mobility since the 18pddr was still able to keep up with the troops.

Pretty much the 18pdr became standard during the war, so if they went for that right from the word go, I don't think that there would be all that much difference.

The thirteen-pounder seems to have generally been the preferred choice as a standard pre-war. The thinking was that the cavalry would really suffer an appreciable mobility loss if the Horse Artillery were equipped with a heavier gun, whereas the infantry would simply have to fire a few extra thirteen pound shells to make up for the lighter weight of throw that a battery of 13-pounders would have compared to 18-pounders.

This probably means that the British go into the war with somewhat lighter guns firing a lighter shell. That means probably worse performance as high explosive throwers during trench warfare (the pre-war conception of artillery as highly mobile shrapnel throwers won't last into 1915). The thing is that the 13-pounder is comparable to the French 75 in terms of shell weight (or for that matter the German 7.7cm). So the British artillery will be slightly worse than OTL, but still substantially better off than the French (who almost entirely lacked the howitzers which were intended as high explosive throwers pre-war, and which Germany in particular used to great effect even during mobile warfare). The British will still have the 4.5 inch howitzer, so no change from OTL there.

The big question to my mind is whether this would help artillery ammunition production (by simplifying the number of shell types needed), or hurt it (by reducing the amount of shell production tooling equipment). Ultimately, the question is whether the British government would have recognized the value of investing in its defence industrial capacity, or whether it would have jumped on to any opportunity to save a few pence. Given that the British would have difficulties during the war since they'd been importing the acetone used for producing cordite from Germany and had never worked out alternate supply chains before the shooting started, I'm somewhat pessimistic.

AIUI, the 13pdr was considered more accurate (somewhat).

I hadn't thought about actual ammunition production, which was a bottleneck in any case, given British stupidity on the issue, not to mention underestimating the demand for shells...

I'd tend to agree the 18pdr, as the gun of choice, would be better. I really had (have) no idea if it made any difference.