WI: Austronesians bring goats instead of pigs

IOTL, according to this domestic goats only really became present in Southeast Asia when Indian people, trade and influence came to the region.

In another time, goats manage to spread to East Asia much earlier and become popular enough to be adopted by the earliest pre-migration Austronesians, who for now use them along with pigs.

By the time the earliest voyages are undertaken the choice is made what animals to bring. Perhaps they only bring goats, or perhaps they bring both and decide to go for goats. Either way this scenario rests on a replacement of pigs with domestic goats.

First off, what are the logistical benefits to the people? They're not omnivorous like pigs, but AFAIK Polynesian pigs didn't do a whole lot of carnivory (unlike dogs). Whatever I could find of a pig's feed conversion ratio versus a goat's FCR indicates pigs are more efficient at turning feed into usable mass, but pigs are usually fed easy-to-digest feed versus a goat's forage (some of which might be poisonous to pigs). Though they eat grass, their single stomach vs. a goat's 4 stomachs puts the pig at a disadvantage for efficient digestion of rougher plant material. A goat would better be able to efficiently process the foliage and forage of the Pacific.

Pigs, however, are more prolific. They can reach reproductive age in less than a year, where some goats can take up to 15 months. Their gestation period is slightly shorter and give birth to an average of 10 piglets at a time compared to a goat's maximum of two.

A 250 lb pig will yield about 180 pounds of meat, or 64% of its body weight. Depending on the cut, a pound o' pig will reach anywhere from 700 to 2300 calories according to the USDA. For a goat a 100 pound pig will yield around 50 pounds of meat; 50% of its body weight of course. The USDA just gives a pound of 'goat meat, roasted' as 651 calories. So there's technically more bang for your buck with goats, but the buck's not as big.

Since goats can give ample, reliable amounts of milk, however, they can provide a stable source of nutrition year-round without killing the animal: 168 calories per cup, low in lactose and even lower if made into cream or cheese.

As far as non-food purposes go, if hairy breeds are made can produce fiber for clothing, sailcloth and other materials. They make decent pack animals, which might not be necessary on small islands like Tonga but potentially useful on larger ones like Fiji and especially New Zealand. Goat dung is also not only far richer in nutrients, but is much safer to use as manure than pig droppings.

Second
, and this might tie into the first one in some cases, what are the ecological effects? Feral pigs are infamous for negatively disrupting ecosystems with their rooting and wallowing behavior, destroying tasty native plants. In the Pacific their wallows can collect standing water, attracting mosquitoes, and the crevices and holes made from rooting can create shelters for Polynesian rats which also damage island ecosystems. On a few tiny islands in Polynesia, feral pigs were identified as a threat to survival and exterminated in a tasty piggy massacre.

Any non-native animal can have a potential negative effect on ecosystem, and goats are no different. Especially when let loose into environments that have evolved with no grazers whatsoever. Goats can trample soft soils into compact dirt unable to grow fragile cover plants and possibly lead to erosion. They can damage forests by consuming shrubs, young trees, and nearly anything in the undergrowth, and can move on to the bark on adult trees if hungry enough. They most likely won't kill a forest all by themselves, but if left rampant in a pristine, ungulate-free environment they can severely hamper forest regeneration.

In conclusion,

Pig pros:
  • Omnivorous, can eat most things but prefer more nutrient-dense feed
  • Reproduce faster than goats and in greater numbers
  • More meat per animal than goats and more calorie-rich
  • Bacon
Pig cons:
  • Optimum FCR requires plenty of high-quality feed; can't digest grass or rough forage as efficiently as sheep
  • Only yields products from carcass
  • Feral populations can establish quickly and in abundance
  • Damages native plants by rooting and creating habitat for rats; can potentially overeat small islands
  • Dung is potentially dangerous and not as efficient for plants
Goat pros:
  • Herbivorous but an extreme generalist; can process rough and sometimes even poisonous forage more efficiently than pigs
  • Population easier to control
  • Can provide nourishment in the form of milk year-round; milk is low in lactose and easily digestible
  • Can potentially be bred into fiber-producing breeds for clothing and sailcloth
  • Tractable enough to pull or carry burdens
  • Dung makes decent manure
Goat cons:
  • Optimum FCR apparently still lower than that of a pig
  • Meat is leaner and less usable amounts per animal
  • Less prolific than pigs and takes longer to build a population
  • Damages native plants by trampling soil in steep areas and eating saplings in forests, potentially halting forest regeneration if left unchecked
  • No bacon =(
Thoughts?

In my time in Kenya, I saw islands on lake Baringo stripped bare by goats-completely turned into a desert. Even if they are slower reproducing, they can absolutely wreck an island environment especially without predators. Combine that with fire and use of wood for building boats and monuments, and I don't think that in the run of centuries they'll be really better than pigs environment-wise.

How useful are goats as pack animals? Could they be used for ploughing?
Well, goats can carry about 25% of their own weight. The average-sized goat might carry around 40-50 pounds, and according to Wikipedia they can carry that weight for 12 miles. Blog posts about pack goats and services offering rentals say they're cheaper to feed (and need less feed than other pack animals) and are apparently less of a hassle to lead, especially with one person.

Their size might cause them to teeter on the edge of usefulness for ploughing. There's a few Google image search results for large Boer-sized goats pulling plows, but I don't know how often that's done. You could probably get a team of two or more to plow if you wanted to make up for a lack of strength. But most forms of Austronesian agriculture don't seem to require a plow anyway.

If we are looking for island-dwellers who bred goats Guanches could be good analogy.
Interesting. Are the Canaries more ecologically suited for goats? The flora's evolved for quite a while with nothing larger than an otter on the islands, and it's a bit more arid than the Pacific Islands yet parts of the islands have large forests. Is it because the goats prefer the drier plains, or have they been watched more closely than what Twovultures described?

I was under the impression that it's harder to raise sheeps/goats than pigs.

Especially if you plan to milk those goats. On an island, the pigs can really be let free, and then you simply hunt them down when you want them. Goats need to be penned if you plan to get that milk. Penning them can be problematic, since they are excellent jumpers. I wouldn't count on a goat for plowing, you'd need quite a large breed for that, and I would bet that degree of labor would tire them quite quickly

Also, goats will absolutely devastate a forest, if they are in a confined area. They will eat any greens within five feet of the ground, and will girdle trees when bored.

Note that most goats reach reproductive maturity in less than a year. That said, it may not be best for the animal to breed them at that age. Also, goats don't have a maximum of two kids per birth, they have an average of two kids per birth. Triplets are not uncommon, and quads aren't unheard of.

See New Zealand for modern problems with feral goats

Pigs can damage an environment. Goats can deliver complete environmental degradation and depopulation. OTL the Austronesians were very fortunate in their choice of domestic animal.

!!!

This is everything I needed to know about Pacific goats. Great find, Escape Zeppelin!

Also,
Yocom (1967) speculated that approximately 1.9 m of topsoil disappeared as a result of goat activity on Haleakalä Crater on the island of Maui.
Eesh.

Page 145 has some information on a few beneficial effects from introduced goats, but says these are best in small numbers.

In my time in Kenya, I saw islands on lake Baringo stripped bare by goats-completely turned into a desert. Even if they are slower reproducing, they can absolutely wreck an island environment especially without predators. Combine that with fire and use of wood for building boats and monuments, and I don't think that in the run of centuries they'll be really better than pigs environment-wise.
Honestly this, they are already a plague on the environment and unlike pigs they can and will climb into places that dogs and bow and arrows cannot reach.

Also many of the oceanic voyages took place over a long time at sea. People lived off fish and fed the by catch to their animals, dogs, pigs and believe it or not chickens and ducks. Plus pigs can stay a smaller size longer than goats can and be away from their mothers longer at that size than goats can so they are far easier to transport.

Honestly this, they are already a plague on the environment and unlike pigs they can and will climb into places that dogs and bow and arrows cannot reach.

Also many of the oceanic voyages took place over a long time at sea. People lived off fish and fed the by catch to their animals, dogs, pigs and believe it or not chickens and ducks. Plus pigs can stay a smaller size longer than goats can and be away from their mothers longer at that size than goats can so they are far easier to transport.
How often did this happen? The open ocean (e.g not near shores or banks) has less fish than most people think. I don't think it's accurate to say they lived off of caught fish; they stored plenty of provisions before going out to sea. If they did catch stuff while sailing in the middle of nowhere I bet it would be mostly for human consumption, unless you have a source saying otherwise.

Which Austronesian cultures carried ducks?

How often did this happen? The open ocean (e.g not near shores or banks) has less fish than most people think. I don't think it's accurate to say they lived off of caught fish; they stored plenty of provisions before going out to sea. If they did catch stuff while sailing in the middle of nowhere I bet it would be mostly for human consumption, unless you have a source saying otherwise.

Well, they dried fish, and carried those, because you are quite correct

Ones close to Southeast Asia have had access to Ducks from my understanding. As to the open Ocean, a lot that is what a lot of island hoping is, Hawaii is nearly 1000 miles from the nearest chunk of land. Unless they can find sea weed or something goats are going to starve.