WI:Athens without Pericles

In the fifth century, Athens grew to the peak of her ancient grandeur. Much of this could be attributed to the work - and audacious nature (?) - of Pericles: holding what was effective control of the city from 443-429 BC. What if Pericles was never there? Would relations between Athens and the other states have improved or worsened during these years? What about the spectacular buildings Pericles put up on the Acropolis?

Any ideas?

Prior to the virtual monopoly of Pericles, the other up and coming politician in Athens was Ephialtes. Both were considered radical democrats, and perhaps demagogues. However, Ephialtes was assassinated in 461 BC. Supposedly, this was due to the unpopular move of downgrading the Areopagus to a criminal court from a legislative body. However, considering that this move was not reversed and that Pericles was considered just as radical, some have questioned whether, in fact, Ephialtes was actually killed by agents of Pericles himself. Regardless of who lives, it seems that Athens, during the Classical Age, was headed down a road of pure democracy, and with that, the inevitable drive towards demagoguery which didn't really end until the Hellenistic Age.

I've never been able to abide the ancient Athenians- a grubby lot I always thought, alternating between self importance and hysteria. Though this, I admit, might be through coming to the reading of ancient history by way of Rome. No Pericles? Little cultural difference, possibly no Peloponnesian War. It does seem as though he deliberately led Athens into war.