WI/AHC: Belgian Philippines

Gian

Banned
Says it on the tin.

What would be the ways from which we have a Philippines ruled by Brussels (either as a Congo Free State-like entity or otherwise), and its effects on the world.

The PoD is after the Belgian Revolution in 1830.

Last edited:
Says it on the tin.

What would be the ways from which we have a Philippines ruled by Brussels (either as a Congo Free State-like entity or otherwise), and its effects on the world.
The Dutch revolt is more succesful than OTL. Brussels is part of the netherlands and even becomes the capital. Belgium is one of the more common names for this Netherlands. Not only are the Dutch able to recapture the southern part of the netherlands, they are also able to capture the Philipines from Spain.

Gian

Banned
The Dutch revolt is more succesful than OTL. Brussels is part of the netherlands and even becomes the capital. Belgium is one of the more common names for this Netherlands. Not only are the Dutch able to recapture the southern part of the netherlands, they are also able to capture the Philipines from Spain.

Um. . . Nope.

The OC stipulates that Belgium must be an independent state. So the PoD probably is 1830 at the earliest.

Wasn't the Belgian Congo itself a fluke that unlikely to happen. It could happen, perhaps Flemish and Walloons become colonial administrators of The Philippines, if the Dutch Revolt breaks out and is more successful we could have an independent state of Flanders and Wallonia. Provided the Dutch of the French don't take Flanders, or possibly Wallonia.

Wow, ninja'd in both idea and response that's a first.

Um. . . Nope.

The OC stipulates that Belgium must be an independent state. So the PoD probably is 1830 at the earliest.
Belgium is an independent state. it is just the name for the Netherlands.

if you want a post 1830 Belgium to have the Philipines, that is borderline impossible. Well, Belgium could try to buy it from Spain (conquer it is impossible), but I am not sure Spain would sell it for any offer Belgium could/would make.

Belgium is an independent state. it is just the name for the Netherlands.

if you want a post 1830 Belgium to have the Philipines, that is borderline impossible. Well, Belgium could try to buy it from Spain (conquer it is impossible), but I am not sure Spain would sell it for any offer Belgium could/would make.
Leopold II tried. He also tried Hainan and some place in Central America (Nicaragua?). All to no avail.
Belgium, in that era, was a very wealthy country and could offer them a hefty sum of money. However, both parties were rather isolationist and I doubt the purchase would ever go through in parliament.
The king himself, OTOH, wasn't particularly wealthy before acquiring the Congo (in fact, even after that, he still had the State lend him money several times).

Leopold II tried. He also tried Hainan and some place in Central America (Nicaragua?). All to no avail.
Belgium, in that era, was a very wealthy country and could offer them a hefty sum of money. However, both parties were rather isolationist and I doubt the purchase would ever go through in parliament.
The king himself, OTOH, wasn't particularly wealthy before acquiring the Congo (in fact, even after that, he still had the State lend him money several times).
Exactly, that's what i meant. The Belgian parliament probably didn't care enough about it to spent money on buying a colony (at least not the money Spain would have wanted), while the king couldn't afford it.