WI: “I had sexual relations with that woman”

I never understood why Clinton lied?
He must have known that it could conceivable independently verified and he must have known that being caught lying under oath is far worse than admitting to the extramarital affair so why did he do it?

Nephi

Banned
He'd probably be seen as more honest, which he should have been. Monica Lewinsky really got the short end of this, Clinton moved on with his life she on the other hand is still on the receiving end of jokes.

I don't see why it was congresses business what he did even if he did it in the White House. So, he's hardly the first president to do it. Probably the only one who was honestly and truly faithful to his wife was Obama.

He'd probably be seen as more honest, which he should have been. Monica Lewinsky really got the short end of this, Clinton moved on with his life she on the other hand is still on the receiving end of jokes.

I don't see why it was congresses business what he did even if he did it in the White House. So, he's hardly the first president to do it. Probably the only one who was honestly and truly faithful to his wife was Obama.

Wasn't it as part of a disposition for Paula Jones, and IDK if they were trying to prove he had a history of predatory behavior, or just a gotcha. And I think more presidents have been faithful than just Obama- Reagan and Carter, for example.

Also, the sexual harassment angle wasn't something people would have cared about as much back then. The idea of power differentials making supervisor-subordinate relationships inherently coercive wasn't at all widespread, sexual harassment was only conceived as unwanted advances. Since Lewinsky was a willing participant, I think you get noises and trial balloons about sexual harassment and abuse of authority, but they don't go anywhere.
I wonder if this case of people saying supervisor-subordinate relationships are "OK" may end up setting a precedent that changes attitudes towards such relationships down the line.

He must have known that it could conceivable independently verified and he must have known that being caught lying under oath is far worse than admitting to the extramarital affair so why did he do it?
Dick Morris told Clinton to lie, not realizing that Linda Tripp had taped Lewinsky’s phone calls with Clinton.

Deleted member 140587

From 1945 onwards, Truman, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush II, and Obama are the only Presidents who didn't cheat on their spouses (that we know of). 6/14; that's less than half. Perhaps that says something about the psychology of being President.

Regardless, I agree that Clinton would be seen as a more honest President if he had he just confessed to it. Cheating is hardly an impeachable offense. It would've also spared the country the drama of the impeachment proceedings.

Ironically, without the impeachment of Clinton, the Republicans would likely perform better in the 1998 Midterm. That said, without the taint of Clinton's adultery scandals, Al Gore would likely win the 2000 Presidential Election (especially since Gore had vocally criticized Clinton for them, which caused a rift between the two men).

Last edited by a moderator:

mattep74

Kicked

She was actually a guest on Last Week tonight and said that it took years for her to rebound. Now she even have twitter

Bill's reputation still sinks years after it should have because of the dozens of other allegations ranging from sexual assault to rape.

Maybe without Monica Lewinsky being the first to get major public attention, something more serious like Gennifer Flowers does.

From 1945 onwards, Truman, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush II, and Obama are the only Presidents who didn't cheat on their spouses (that we know of). 6/14; that's less than half. Perhaps that says something about the psycology of being President.

Regardless, I agree that Clinton would be seen as more honest President if he had he just confessed to it. Cheating is hardly an impeachable offense. It would've also spared the country the drama of the impeachment proceedings.

Ironically, without the impeachment of Clinton, the Republicans would likely perform better in the 1998 Midterm. That said, without the taint of Clinton's adultery scandals, Al Gore would likely win the 2000 Presidential Election (especially since Gore had vocally criticized Clinton for them, which caused a rift between the two men).
You forgot Bush I.

I thought at the time that the proper answer to:
“Did you have sex with that woman?”
Would be:
“None of your [expletive deleted] business.”
Said with a smile, of course.
If pressed, counter with:
“How does this affect how I am President, again?”
Make them talk about sex and that is their fault that they do.
Perhaps that says something about the psycology of being President.
That ya got to be a playa to be Prez?

He had been lying for years. Paula Jones's lawsuit was accurate.

The strange thing about Newt Gingrich being the one that start the moral witch hunt against Bill Clinton is he has been married three times the second & third marriages being in the same year he divorced the first and second wife. Now he may just be a nimble chap who is quick to get back on the horse or more likely he was already test riding one.

Deleted member 140587

You forgot Bush I.
Bush I had an affair with one of his aides, Jennifer Fitzgerald, which ran about 10 years. When she found out, Barbara Bush fell into a serious bout of depression and suicidal ideation. None of this was helped by the fact that Nancy Reagan would often spread the rumour around to the wives of Washington officials, as she didn't like the Bushes (or as she called them, "the Shrubs"). However, Barbara and George still loved each other and they worked through it. In the end, I'd actually say they had one of the better Presidential marriages.

The strange thing about Newt Gingrich being the one that start the moral witch hunt against Bill Clinton is he has been married three times the second & third marriages being in the same year he divorced the first and second wife. Now he may just be a nimble chap who is quick to get back on the horse or more likely he was already test riding one.
Oldt Gingpoor was definitely a hypocrite for adopting the persona of a theocratic culture warrior. Unbeknownst to anyone at the time, he was cheating on Maryanne while impeaching Clinton.

Oldt Gingpoor was definitely a hypocrite for adopting the persona of a theocratic culture warrior. Unbeknownst to anyone at the time, he was cheating on Maryanne while impeaching Clinton.
It became known fairly soon after. IIRC not only Gingrich resigned as House Speaker, but the next two Republicans in line stepped up for the position, then each in turn had their own extramarital scandals exposed in succession. The revolving door was spinning fast that year.