Why does the AH Wikia have so many terrible TLs?

Looking over the Alternate History Wiki, I'm dumbstruck by how terrible many of their TLs are. By my guess, it's 50% wanks of the TL's author's favorite country, 20% wanks of the TL's author's ideology, 19% Axis victory scenarios done very badly, 10% "identical to OTL except for This One Thing" worlds, and 1% well-written, well-researched TLs.

Seriously, what is it about that site that attracts so many terrible TL writers?

Looking over the Alternate History Wiki, I'm dumbstruck by how terrible many of their TLs are. By my guess, it's 50% wanks of the TL's author's favorite country, 20% wanks of the TL's author's ideology, 19% Axis victory scenarios done very badly, 10% "identical to OTL except for This One Thing" worlds, and 1% well-written, well-researched TLs.

Seriously, what is it about that site that attracts so many terrible TL writers?
There as some good ones, like a liberal surviving Soviet Union one I saw once. Yeah, though, the overall quality is pretty bad.

On the other hand, it's still pretty sane compared to some youtube channels... ugh.

There as some good ones, like a liberal surviving Soviet Union one I saw once. Yeah, though, the overall quality is pretty bad.

On the other hand, it's still pretty sane compared to some youtube channels... ugh.

Yeah, that one channel that keeps popping up in my recommended pisses me off. No matter the PoD, no matter the idea, no matter anything, every video is a wank of the country he is focusing on with very little attention to butterflies. And every, I mean every, video he posts ends with the wanked country landing on the moon, with their flag crudely photoshopped over the OTL picture of the American one.

Soviet Union in the modern day? Soviet space-wank. United States loses the Revolutionary War? British space-wank. Germany wins WWII? Nazi space-wank. It's absurd because he's made so many videos. So... so many.

Alternatehistoryhub is very good though, an example of alternate history YouTube done right. Good production quality, diverse PoDs, realistic discussion, he's got it all. It's a pity that he doesn't often go into detail about the world after the PoD, saying that such speculation could go almost anywhere due to the butterfly effect (which, he's right about), but he's starting to make more "lore" videos that do.

Yeah, that one channel that keeps popping up in my recommended pisses me off. No matter the PoD, no matter the idea, no matter anything, every video is a wank of the country he is focusing on with very little attention to butterflies. And every, I mean every, video he posts ends with the wanked country landing on the moon, with their flag crudely photoshopped over the OTL picture of the American one.

Soviet Union in the modern day? Soviet space-wank. United States loses the Revolutionary War? British space-wank. Germany wins WWII? Nazi space-wank. It's absurd because he's made so many videos. So... so many.

Alternatehistoryhub is very good though, an example of alternate history YouTube done right. Good production quality, diverse PoDs, realistic discussion, he's got it all. It's a pity that he doesn't often go into detail about the world after the PoD, saying that such speculation could go almost anywhere due to the butterfly effect (which, he's right about), but he's starting to make more "lore" videos that do.
Do you mean alternatehistorypt? There are plenty the fit that description, as far as I can tell.

Do you mean alternatehistorypt? There are plenty the fit that description, as far as I can tell.

Yyyyeeeeepp. After actually looking at their channel for the first time in a year or so, it seems they've diversified a little bit. But it's still crap.

And, to answer the OP, I have no clue. Maybe it's the crappy format? It's not exactly conducive to large-scale discussions, or really timelines for that matter.

Emperortigerstaralt is pretty bad as well. The entire "mapping" community is the stupidest community I've ever seen. Their videos are Polandball but if people that make Polandball comics had no knowledge of geopolitics whatsoever.

Survivorship bias.

Here in AH.com, if you make a shitty wank or a Vlad Tepes timeline, it either gets locked, moved to ASB or deleted, thus you never hear about them. The AH Wikia does not have such level of moderation, so all the shit that is posted there, stays there.

I'm not saying there is no crap in AH Wikia - there is, plenty of it - but you can't just generalize it as a place of shitty TLs.

Their videos are Polandball but if people that make Polandball comics had no knowledge of geopolitics whatsoever.
That last part of your sentence is redundant.

Generally most of TL writers outside of AH.com aren't so intrested about alternate history that they would bother research things and try making things plausible. AH Wikia is not only place where is terrible TLs. Actually AH.com is one of these few place where is good TLs. There is enough of people who are intrested about history and can comment and writers usually care about plausibility and realism of alternate history. Our community is quiet discouraging with bad TLs and encouraging for well written TLs.