Why didn't Jose de San Martin or Bernardo O'Higgins get their countries named after them?

I think implicit in my question is if any of these other liberators were as important as Bolivar is, and if so why is he remembered the most ("Bolivarism", etc.)

O'Higgins was important in winning Chilean independence, but apparently the people of Chile found they did not like his rule afterwards (perhaps seeing him as an rich outsider due to his last name?); and eventually he was deposed and sent away in exile.

Bolivar seems being more important. Him had much influence in many countries.

O'Higgins and San Martin only liberated their own countries.

O'Higgins did not free Chile...San Martin did it. O'Higgins was one of many commanders...an important one...in the Andes Army. Also San Martin liberated Peru along with Chile and Argentina.

San Martin never cultivated the same cult of personality as Bolivar and didn’t seek too. From my (limited) understanding this sort of personality driven politics didn’t align with his nature or political inclinations.

Last edited:
It would be like Higginsia, as we have Colombia and Bolivia.
Probably if you're using the hispanicised version of the name you'd get Iguiña, or because the family were known in the Spanish nobility as the Barons of Ballinar, perhaps Ballinar? Sounds not too dissimilar to something like Ecuador?

Because the Countries have Names. LONG, before they get Independent.
El Reyno de Chile, was the name of the territory of current Chile, since the 1600 at the latest. ARGENTINA was calles that since the 17 century at least.
The only reason Bolivia get a name based in Bolívar, is because the place don't have a long traditional name, The name of the territory of today Bolivia was " Alto Peru" or "High Perú" and as the name was no really a good option for the country when Andrés de Santa Cruz Liberated the Place on Command from Bolivar. And he decided that Bolivia, giving honor to Bolívar, was a good name for the land.
Bolívar had not interests on having a country named after him

Last edited:
O'Higgins was important in winning Chilean independence, but apparently the people of Chile found they did not like his rule afterwards (perhaps seeing him as an rich outsider due to his last name?); and eventually he was deposed and sent away in exile.
He was seen as an outsider Because he was Not rich, Nor was part of the Traditional Oligarchy, and worst of all he was a Bastard, His name for most of his life was Bernardo Riquelme( his mother name) Because his Father don't married his mother. And only get his traditional O'higgins name after his Father acknowledge him after his dead. that being said his Father never denied him as his son, it's just that the Spanish Colonial goverment prohibited the marriage between non-Spanish Colonial Officers and Colonial natives

Last edited:
Bolivar seems being more important. Him had much influence in many countries.

That is Not True, San Martín Liberated Chile.
O'higgins Liberated Perú, and then the Process was finalizdd with the reinforcces from Bolívar.
[

Definitively untrue. San Martín is widely known as the liberator of three countries: Argentina, Chile and Perú. From my experience talking with Peruvians and Chileans they hold him in very high regard. And of course for us Argentines he is the Father of the Fatherland. O'Higgins was also a major figure too.

But my answer is, besides that the countries already had names, is that San Martín was a man of the sword, and while highly idealistic, he didn't want to be a ruler. He left the rule of Perú quietly and with little fanfare and refused all political posts in Argentina after the governorship of Cuyo (which he needed to launch his military campaign). And while admired as a liberator and I could see more places named after him I just don't see a country on his name. I mean the US isn't called Washingtonia despite having many places named Washington.

A wild idea... A Perú-Bolivia confederation called something like Martinia or Martinia-Bolivia. Still I guess that they would revert to the already established name of Perú, or Andes.

Regarding O'Higgins my knowledge is poorer but Chile, the country he liberated already had a well established name so same thing.

Last edited: