Who would win in a 1980s air war: NATO or the Warsaw Pact?

Who would win in a 1980s air war?

• NATO

Votes: 229 90.9%
  • Warsaw Pact

Votes: 23 9.1%

• Total voters

Ak-84

Banned
The Indian campaign against the Pakistani Eastern Command in 1971 is a campaign that deserves a lot more study than I have seen. I have only read one really good detailed account of it (in this book https://books.google.com/books/about/Blitzkrieg_to_Desert_Storm.html?id=kyvfAAAAMAAJ) The Indians made excellent use of air mobile, mechanized and light infantry forces with excellent engineer support to carry out a very impressive campaign.
Not really. Fact was the Campaign was basically impossible for the Indians to lose (as Indian Army Chief Sam Maneckshaw later said in an interview). The Indian assault was also the polar opposite of Blitzkrieg. The region is divided by the river systems into three parts, a breakthrough in anyone of them would doom the defenders, however, it means that the assaults could not be mutually supported, The Indians made large Corps sized incursions in May and September of 71 and were beaten back. Then, the Indian CinC decided to build up to an all out assault, employing 3 full sized corps. That assault began in November third week and on two of the routes, was stopped dead... though probably would have broken through eventually.

What it is an example of is how pre-war plans may be hampered by war time political realities. It was known by everyone on both sides that East Pakistan was basically undefendable. The war plan called for Pakistani assault from West Pakistan into India if E Pak was threatened. When time for war actually came in Sep '71, the Indian CinC decided (over strenuous objections) to move 2 plus Corps (II and IV Corps IIRC) to the East from the West. Heavily denuding the Western defenses and making an attack likely. Except for the fact that the Pakistani political leadership desperately wanted to avoid war and refused to grant permission to attack, Until the first week of December, by which time the game was long over. Its by no way guaranteed that an attack in Sep or OCt '71 would have changed the outcome; however, the pre-war plan at least in theory might have worked (by getting compelling Indians to keep those large formations in the West).

Which is a long way of saying; politicians will fuck things up just as well in Germany; pre-war plans or no pre-war plans.

So they assume Arab-levels of (in)competency for the Soviets in the 1980s. I don't think I need to elaborate how bad an assumption that could prove to be. I imagine according to those same games, Allied Force should have seen the Serbs butchered in immense numbers. They weren't modified. They were abandoned altogether as the Arab forces found their forces totally incapable of even beginning to perform the tasks Soviet doctrine demanded of them.

Like accepting unholy levels of casualties fighting enemies who could suffer them better than you could (Iraq fighting Iran). But when the US gave its satellite intel to Iraq, it neutralized Iran's "human wave" attacks, forcing Khomenei to accept peace. "Worse than taking the vilest of poisons", he said. True. He died within days...

<snip>They did not conduct the charge of the light brigade against Allied anti tank guns (mistakes that the Allies, and the Israelis in the early part of the 73 War made).<snip>

It must be admitted that the Egyptian Armed Forces of 1973 were better than it had ever been before.

Both NATO and the Pact had massed armor in the Central Front. In fact there is considerable discussion both then and now that the concentration of machines to space by the early 1980s made the situation more akin to World War I, Kursk or Normandy than dashing about Poland or France in 1940. That applies to the war in the air too. The alarmist predictions that the Soviets would reach the Rhine in two weeks we saw in the late 1970s always were overblown and had a lot more akin to invasion fiction than to sober assessment of likely Soviet capabilities.

IDK. NATO was in pretty sorry shape in the Late 70s...

What real life operations? In the last 60 years, the number of wars involving mechanized forces on a large scale are few. We have two between India and Pakistan, the PAVN invasions of South Vietnam 1972 and 1975, the Arab Israeli conflicts 1967, 73, plus Lebanon in 82, the Iran Iraq War, and the 1st and 2nd Gulf War involving the US et al against Iraq (and Iraq invading Kuwait with basically a combined arms corps to start the ball). That is it. Yugoslavia was mostly an infantry affair in rugged and urban terrain with mechanized forces limited to the few roads, while the various wars in Africa have been infantry affairs with occasional motorized forces making a difference when terrain allowed. The one mechanized invasion (Libya vs Chad) was a disaster for the mechanized force.

TBH, IMVHO I'd only count the Iran-Iraq War, and for the purposes of your example only up until the Iranians had run through most of their old US equipment.

During the Cold War, the most worrisome and most unlikely was the so called BOOB attack (bolt out of the blue), where you had a Klingon "it is a good day to die" moment and the war started. In reality the ability of the Soviets to start a war some random day was almost zero. There were too many indicators that would be noticed, now NATO/US could refuse to believe these were really a threat and fail to heighten readiness, but that is almost ASB. There would be differences between troop, materiel, and supply movements for even a major exercise and a real attack. The previous is for a conventional attack just looking at land forces - there are separate and pretty glaring indicators for air and naval preparation as well, and trust me those were watched very carefully.

I had always understood that at least as late as the 1970s the Soviets had the means of Strategic Surprise IF they were willing to roll the dice regarding: A) Having their logistic tail be non-existent (basically, the tanks running on little more than the petrol they've been fueled with), and B) Praying to Lenin that NATO doesn't launch tactical nukes.

For nuclear attacks, since the Soviets had air base problem, in that their major full service bases were not close enough to the USA for bomber attacks without a lot of tankage and they were always short on tankers. This meant they had to forward stage nuclear forces, and they also did not have the sort of airborne alert SAC had. Also, the chain of custody for nuclear weapons was more complex so bombs were rarely if ever pre-loaded on even "alert" aircraft so getting off the ground would take longer.

The part of Red Storm Rising that is quite accurate, IMHO, is how the various indicators of the Soviets ramping up their readiness add up.

Agreed. One reason SAC was always so hair-triggered and the US had (IIRC) 61% of its nuclear arsenals based in undetectable SSBNs was the ongoing constant fear of a sneak attack. It may have been many decades ago, but Pearl Harbor was something the nuclear military never forgot.

Allowing for the fact that American intelligence capabilities improved quite a bit in the 1970's, it's worth noting that the invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968 caught NATO by surprise. Second, strategic surprise is not the same as absolute surprise. What matters is where NATO is in the REFORGER effort. Are those reinforcements on the ground in Germany at their POMCUS sites getting equipped. Or are they staging in Texas/Georgia etc? Are the Marines on the ground in Denmark, Iceland and Norway or are they still en route?

If they are still in the US, then they have attained something akin to Tactical Surprise. It would be Strategic Surprise if the troops are still in their home bases, or still moving towards their ports or airbases. If they are still in complete peacetime status, its a bolt-from-the-blue.

If they are fully mobilized, at their wartime defenses positions, REFORGER is complete, NATO's reserves have been activated and sent to the front, and even the US Selective Service has been activated and the first lots have been drawn with the conscripts being sent to basic training...my guess is Moscow is going to pull the plug on whatever craziness they've been doing. OTOH, the Warsaw Pact will be fully mobilized and ready to attack on multiple axis of assaults, with reserves coming in all the way back to Moscow, and beyond. But the later you go from the 70s into the 80s, the more anemic the Soviet's war machine will be. Scarier still, I don't think that there was anyone around in Moscow to tell the Kremlin the truth about how weak the Soviet military was becoming. A good example (as I've said) was their reaction to the downing of Flight KAL 007.

As I've said earlier, this represents the "Middle Case" Scenario, or the "Extended Buildup". Neither the least nor the most likely.

The one thing belief I absolutely share with ObsessedNuker is that Soviet Maskirova efforts would be effective here. We can debate their F-117 defense capabilities all day. But I do believe the Soviets would have had reasonably effective countermeasures to deal with American intelligence gathering efforts, particularly since their espionage efforts were so effective at gathering intel on our capabilities. See James Hall as one example.

I would like to argue with you, but i just can't. I knew a guy back during the downing of Flight KAL 007. A local politician who was a staunch Reaganite Republican. And he bought the Soviet "Korean Spy Plane" Story hook-line-and-sinker, rod-reel-and-pole.

The troop and other movements needed for the Czech invasion were much smaller than for an invasion west, and the air force and navy really had no need to do anything to get ready. In a build up to war if the Soviet Navy does not send an abnormal number of submarines out from the bases in the Kola area and in the Pacific, they won't be in position to attack major REFORGER convoys in time and will have to transit under wartime conditions subject to attack. I can guarantee you 100% this will be observed. VVS air units will need to be forward deployed, train traffic from the USSR to Germany will be up. Some of this can be hidden via maskirova, others you try to hide by timing movement to avoid satellites if you can, although that imposes penalties in terms of how long it takes to get everything in place.

If things work well for the Soviets and combination of maskirova and a diplomatic two-step to slow the NATO mobilization down (including sponsored political demonstrations in NATO countries) NATO won't be ready even if they realize what is coming. One thing that matters is what time of year this happens, and whether or not this was long planned or a crisis that is escalating and the Soviets decide to go for it.

One of the WWIII novels had the principle character telling his fellow generals that they should launch not a prepared invasion in the spring or summer but an immediate attack in the dead of winter. IMO he was right.

Regarding Israeli logistics... to be fair the Soviets brought in a lot of ammunition and spares to the Syrians and Egyptians too in 1973. It seems that relatively poor nations cannot afford massive ammunition stockpiles.

To be fair to the Israelis they were hit by a better prepared Arab assault force than they ever faced before or ever would again.

One of the WWIII novels had the principle character telling his fellow generals that they should launch not a prepared invasion in the spring or summer but an immediate attack in the dead of winter. IMO he was right.
An attack on Christmas Eve (western calendar, not Russian) might find more than a few units/admirals/generals/air marshals a bit unprepared*, yes.

*unprepared as a newt, in some cases

An attack on Christmas Eve (western calendar, not Russian) might find more than a few units/admirals/generals/air marshals a bit unprepared*, yes.

*unprepared as a newt, in some cases
All the worse, in terms of showing a taste for Pearl Harbor 2.0:mad: Now that I think on it, that may be one reason why the author DIDN'T follow the winter offensive idea. It also conjures up the image of Barbarossa 2.0:evilupset: Something the Soviets could very much appreciate, and understand why NATO would, in an act of blind outrage, hit The Button (tactically, at least) the moment their governments realized the scope of what was happening.:mad:

Like accepting unholy levels of casualties fighting enemies who could suffer them better than you could (Iraq fighting Iran). But when the US gave its satellite intel to Iraq, it neutralized Iran's "human wave" attacks, forcing Khomenei to accept peace. "Worse than taking the vilest of poisons", he said. True. He died within days...

Actually, it was the Iranians inability to sustain the level of casualties they were taking in the face of Iraqis numerical and material superiority that ultimately did them in. Despite Iran possessing a on-paper larger manpower base, the chaos of the post-revolutionary administration meant this was a more theoretical then real advantage. The "human wave" attacks were more myth then reality. The Iranians only practiced it rarely and generally as a distraction. It was a lot harder to notice for the Iraqis to notice the ten thousand professionals sneaking around their flanks when they had a hundred thousand screaming fanatics coming down on their front. Similarly, US Satellite intel wasn't very useful to the Iraqis because of their inflexibilities. What really mattered was that after nearly a decade of stalemated trench warfare with nothing to show for it, Iranian morale and administration finally broke down. Khomenei didn't accept peace because the US provided some magic bullet to the Iraqis that gave them victory, he accepted peace in order to avoid his country breaking under the strain of war like Russia did in 1917.

Actually, it was the Iranians inability to sustain the level of casualties they were taking in the face of Iraqis numerical and material superiority that ultimately did them in. Despite Iran possessing a on-paper larger manpower base, the chaos of the post-revolutionary administration meant this was a more theoretical then real advantage. The "human wave" attacks were more myth then reality. The Iranians only practiced it rarely and generally as a distraction. It was a lot harder to notice for the Iraqis to notice the ten thousand professionals sneaking around their flanks when they had a hundred thousand screaming fanatics coming down on their front. Similarly, US Satellite intel wasn't very useful to the Iraqis because of their inflexibilities. What really mattered was that after nearly a decade of stalemated trench warfare with nothing to show for it, Iranian morale and administration finally broke down. Khomenei didn't accept peace because the US provided some magic bullet to the Iraqis that gave them victory, he accepted peace in order to avoid his country breaking under the strain of war like Russia did in 1917.

source on this?

source on this?

Arabs at War by Kenneth Pollack. His account of the state of things by the end of the is also consistent with most accounts of the war I've read second-hand online.

"By early 1988, the Iraqi military outnumbered Iran in every category of military manpower and hardware. Iraq boasted roughly 1,000,000 men under arms, while Iran could only field 600,000; Iraq had over 4,000 functional tanks, while Iran had less than 1,000; Iraq had over 600 combat aircraft, while Iran could surge less than 50. At the point of attack, Iraqi advantages were even greater, with force ratios of ten to one, twenty to one, and even fifty to one in certain categories not uncommon. On top of this, Iraq relied on massive doses of chemical agents to overwhelm Iranian defenders. Given the disparities, what is surprising is that the Iraqis could not do more."
-Pollack, "Arabs at War," p.232

Last edited:
Arabs at War by Kenneth Pollack. His account of the state of things by the end of the is also consistent with most accounts of the war I've read second-hand online.

"By early 1988, the Iraqi military outnumbered Iran in every category of military manpower and hardware. Iraq boasted roughly 1,000,000 men under arms, while Iran could only field 600,000; Iraq had over 4,000 functional tanks, while Iran had less than 1,000; Iraq had over 600 combat aircraft, while Iran could surge less than 50. At the point of attack, Iraqi advantages were even greater, with force ratios of ten to one, twenty to one, and even fifty to one in certain categories not uncommon. On top of this, Iraq relied on massive doses of chemical agents to overwhelm Iranian defenders. Given the disparities, what is surprising is that the Iraqis could not do more."

Pollack appears to have his critics

https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=444717

of course everyone does.... I haven't read it yet although I will see if I can find it

Pollack appears to have his critics

https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=444717

of course everyone does.... I haven't read it yet although I will see if I can find it

Oh to be sure, everybody has their critics. But that review doesn't actually refute Pollack... if anything, it tends to agree with his research. The two biggest criticisms it levels are that some of his definitions seem arbitrary and that while he does a great job at the "what is wrong with Arab armies", it fails to analyze appropriately "why Arab armies feature these problems with such endemic consistency". The first criticism strikes me as terminological quibbling, the latter is entirely accurate and is something that still needs to be hashed out but does not in any way overturn the accuracy of Pollack's account of both historical events and in identifying the "what".

Last edited:

There's also the fact in there that Iran itself was pretty much constrained in terms of what she could get in supplies, maintenance, and equipment versus Iraq and per Revolutionary Iran: A History of the Islamic Republic by Michael Axworthy, the Iran-Iraq War pretty much united Iran together against Iraq, which as a case-example could be the massive drop in support for MEK when they decided to try and work with that of Iraq.

Um, Iranians are not Arabs. They are Farsi-speaking racially ethnic Iranians. In fact, in terms of arrogance they've actually been likened much more to Americans than any Middle Eastern peoples. Maybe its part of the idea that Persia had never been successfully conquered by any invader for any real length of time in its history, save for Alexander the Great.

At the Fall of the Shah, 49% of the Iranian population were NOT Farsi-speaking ethnic Iranian Shi'ite muslims. This bare minority included Sunni Iranians, Sunni Arabs, Shi'ite Arabs, Kurds, (IIRC) Druze, Christians, Azerbajani, Baluchis, and even a number of Jews (1) (my college inorganic chemistry class included a student who was a Jewish Iranian religious refugee). The Shah sure didn't give a damn about somebody's religion or ethnic origin, providing they avoided revolutionary activity. Probably the best thing you could say about his rule, and the thing that most infuriated the Shi'ite mullahs.

1) There were about 50,000 Iranian Jews in the Shah's Iran. They weren't part of the mass exodus to Israel following the end of the Israeli War of Independence, as under the Shah they felt safer than under most other Middle Eastern governments. But after the mullahs took over, they had to get out fast.

Last edited:
I think much of what is being described about Iran's problems in battle were from the middle to the end of the war. Prior to this, the Iranian Army still had a lot of first class US hardware, including the F-14s. About 80 of them IIRC. That ain't chicken feed when facing Mig-23s.

And IMVHO the US intel WAS very effective in providing Iraq with vitally needed data. All they had to do was put in little more than frontier constabulary troops to slaughter the ten year old boys being sent up against them, while they could concentrate the full measure of their firepower against the Iranian Army, and later the lavishly equipped Revolutionary Guards. The trick for the Iraqis was to avoid the kind of Soviet tactics that were so reckless in terms of wasting away their own forces, while insisting on the idea of the Total Offensive to gain territory in the shortest amount of time.

That would be fighting the war to Iran's liking. When Iraq initially invaded, they were far too reckless with their own men. Especially when they reached the high plateaus outside the border regions, and discovered just why the Romans could never conquer Persia, and those attempts that were made had successes that were ephemeral at best.

Um, Iranians are not Arabs.

Nobody said they were. Not sure why you brought that up.

I think much of what is being described about Iran's problems in battle were from the middle to the end of the war. Prior to this, the Iranian Army still had a lot of first class US hardware, including the F-14s. About 80 of them IIRC. That ain't chicken feed when facing Mig-23s.

Nah, they date to the very beginning. The loss of American support before the revolution meant that Iran was only able to field a fraction of the hardware it possessed. While this problem only worsened during the course of the war, it very much existed at the beginning.

And IMVHO the US intel WAS very effective in providing Iraq with vitally needed data.

I don't doubt it. The problem wasn't on the US end. It was the Iraqis ability to use said data which screwed them over and ultimately made it of little value.

The trick for the Iraqis was to avoid the kind of Soviet tactics that were so reckless in terms of wasting away their own forces, while insisting on the idea of the Total Offensive to gain territory in the shortest amount of time.

Ah, there's that arrogant western stereotyping of Soviet methodology. I've been wondering when it would show up. In reality, the Iraqis never exercised any sort of Soviet-style tactics. Largely because such tactics were totally beyond the skill of their soldiers.

When Iraq initially invaded, they were far too reckless with their own men.

Actually, when Iraq invaded they were passive to a crippling extent. Although this was by nature rather then intent. Standard Iraqis methodology when meeting any resistance, even a bunch of militia with nothing heavier then rifles, was to stop dead in their tracks, fire inaccurately, and then sit around and await new orders.

Last edited:
They never exercised Soviet style tactics in their war with Iran or during the Gulf War as well?

Nope. In fact, at the start of the Iran-Iraq War they didn't exercise any sort of tactical, operational, or strategic methodology at all. They literally just lined their forces up along the border and had them walk east. Later in the war, they built massive lines of fortifications manned by huge concentrations of forces through which the Iranians would have to slog but this is much closer to Anglo-French WW1 methodology then Soviet ones.

And before someone responds by going "but Kursk!", Kursk was an aggressive maneuver defense anchored by fortified lines and not just a bunch of static fortresses like the Iraqis went for. Had the Soviets built their defenses at Kursk in the Iraqis-style, the Germans would have broken through.

Last edited:
They never exercised Soviet style tactics in their war with Iran or during the Gulf War as well?

One of the ironies of the Arab/Israeli wars, particularly 67 and 73 was that the Israeli's used strategies much more akin to the Soviets while the the Egyptian operationsmore closely resembled American/NATO. So, Israel - Western Equipment and Soviet strategies and Egypt - Soviet Equipment but Western strategies. Cant speak for the Syrians.

As to the Iraqi's, the Republican Guard had some capabilities. But having a few armored/mechanized units capable of maneuver is wholly different than having your entire ground force deployed with the intent of conducting large scale maneuver operations. The Iraqis were never anywhere close to this.

79, but nothing like that number operational at any given time. Still they were very effective.

I remember a report made by an eye-witness (admittedly, an untrained civilian who just happened to be in Iran during the Shah's fall) who told (second-hand) that the US military advisors, just before they fled, ripped out the Phoenix fire-control systems for Iran's F-14s. IDK if that's true, as its only second hand hearsay.

The only two countries in the world to ever use the Tomcat were the US and Iran. There were reports that Iranian agents were trying to get their hands on individual F-14 parts in the US desert reserve/boneyard. Which may explain why the US went and destroyed every last F-14 in the boneyard, right down to crushing individual parts and rendering ever last part of the aircraft useless.

I remember a report made by an eye-witness (admittedly, an untrained civilian who just happened to be in Iran during the Shah's fall) who told (second-hand) that the US military advisors, just before they fled, ripped out the Phoenix fire-control systems for Iran's F-14s. IDK if that's true, as its only second hand hearsay.

That is not true considering there were actual reported air to air kills by Iranian F-14 pilots with the Phoenix