Who was the most successful ruler in medieval Europe?

I just wondered what people's opinions would be in regards to this.

By successful I mean bringing stability and prosperity to their Kingdom/state between 900 and 1500?

Phillip Augustus is a clear contender, the first King of France (instead of the Franks), he was close to destroying the Angevin Empire, he expanded the crown land tremendously, as well as France istelf. His reign ending in the early 13th century would usher in a century long golden age, where french dynasties would come to dominate some of the mightiest states of Europe. However the end of this golden age, which is already loosing its sheen during the reign of ‘The Iron King’ - would lead to half a century of French defeat and humiliation.

Otto the Great is another strong choice pretty early into the era. He was one of if not the strongest holy roman emperors ever, subdued the german princes much better than his successors, and was strong enough to control italy, bringing a golden era to the alpine region. He also effectively broke pagan raids into germany from caparthia, seized the rhine from frankish powers, and honestly laid a very strong foundation for the HRE that diminished due to italy and the nature of the empire going off on crusades leaving a dubious regency

Rurik the Varangian, of course. Out of nothing, he conquered and created the largest Kingdom in Europe, The Rus/Russia for himself and his many descendants, that would last for centuries to come.

Talk about rags to riches.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Osman I in my opinion, though its late medieval

For a great medieval Ottoman leader I would pick Mehmed I. The Sultanate could have easily fragmented permanently after Bayezid died, but Mehmed stepped up to bat and reunified the realm and then on top of that conquered chunks of Anatolia and Albania, vassalized Wallachia, and stopped Mustafa Çelebi and Sheikh Bedredden from potentially breaking up the empire again.

Osman was a great leader, but if it weren’t for Mehmed, the Ottoman state could have crumbled before it had a chance to become as successful as it did.

I'm surprised no one brings up Charlemagne or Clovis, they literally ruled most powerful state of medieval western Europe and done wonders for it's development.

I'm surprised no one brings up Charlemagne or Clovis, they literally ruled most powerful state of medieval western Europe and done wonders for it's development.
OP specified a time period later than 900, probably for thus exact reason.

As for the question, I’d say Pope Gregory VII. True enough, the Gregorian reforms were a team work of many popes, but if choosing one is necessary I’ll go with good old Hildebrand. He didn’t do much in terms of statebuilding in Italy itself, but that is irrelevant to the consolidation of the Gregorian reforms that permitted the establishment of Papal supremacy and the universal authority of the Supreme Pontiff, which would only really be undone in the modern era, after the Reformation and then the liberal revolutions.

For a great medieval Ottoman leader I would pick Mehmed I. The Sultanate could have easily fragmented permanently after Bayezid died, but Mehmed stepped up to bat and reunified the realm and then on top of that conquered chunks of Anatolia and Albania, vassalized Wallachia, and stopped Mustafa Çelebi and Sheikh Bedredden from potentially breaking up the empire again.

Osman was a great leader, but if it weren’t for Mehmed, the Ottoman state could have crumbled before it had a chance to become as successful as it did.
Yes, Mehmed I is arguably the monarch who defined the Ottoman State in its modern conception. He also rebuilt the empire his father, grandfather, greatgrandfather had built when it was coming tumbling down at the hands of Tamerlane. Mehmed I is also a very good candidate as well. He was well beloved by the Christian population of his lands as well. Several anti-Latin greek cities just threw open their gates when they heard he was coming without fighting in Anatolia and Epirus. According to Caroline Finkel, he liked to walk in the cities, giving whatever he could to the people who looked at him expectantly, regardless of their faith and language - though Mehmed I did know how to speak Greek and Vulgar Bulgarian alongside his native Turkish and religious Arabic and Persian according to his court members.

For France there are two kings who brought the kingdom from apparent doom to bloom: Charles V and Charles VII.
Charles V le sage had to deal with the devastating consequences of the reign of his oh so chivalrous father, Jean le bon. At the beginning of his regent reign he had to deal with large parts of the country occupied, a king imprisoned by the enemy, two pretenders to his crown, a city and a peasant revolt and a roaming army of mercenaries.
Charles VII was in a same dire position in the start of his reign.