White settlement in Eritrea

in the 'Austria with South Tirol' thread, Jimbrock said:
Of course, it wasn't the main concern to get Savoy and Nice back, but still an irredentist aim. As was the concept (not a bad one, as it would later be proved correct) that Libya was a settler colony. Also I read somewhere that Eritrea was suitable for White settlement too.

So, my mind being twisted as usual: have Eritrea be a WHITE RUSSIAN settlement, where many of the tsarist emigrés flee to.

OK, I'll give it a (probably ASB) try: different Crimean War with no Anglo-French intervention leads to Russia gaining control of the straits and becoming a player in the colonial game. When the *Berlin Conference rolls around, Russia gets to be Ethiopia's protecting power because they share somewhat similar churches; to have a land link to Ethiopia, they acquire a colony in more or less the same area as Eritrea. Assuming butterflies don't lead to reform of the tsarist system, a revolution still overthrows the tsar; however, the monarchists retain control over Russia's colonies, including Eritrea, and a number of *Whites flee there and prop up a Russian Empire-in-Exile on the Red Sea.

Seriously, how bad did I do?

Grey Wolf

Donor
OK, I'll give it a (probably ASB) try: different Crimean War with no Anglo-French intervention leads to Russia gaining control of the straits and becoming a player in the colonial game. When the *Berlin Conference rolls around, Russia gets to be Ethiopia's protecting power because they share somewhat similar churches; to have a land link to Ethiopia, they acquire a colony in more or less the same area as Eritrea. Assuming butterflies don't lead to reform of the tsarist system, a revolution still overthrows the tsar; however, the monarchists retain control over Russia's colonies, including Eritrea, and a number of *Whites flee there and prop up a Russian Empire-in-Exile on the Red Sea.

Seriously, how bad did I do?

Actually, I rather like that !

Now we just need to write the timeline :)

Best Regards
Grey Wolf