White Repatriation as part of the Anti-Apartheid movement

Would it be possible for the repatriation of South African whites to Europe to be a demand of the Anti-Apartheid movement?
I assume this would cut down on Western opposition to Apartheid. I'm not sure if it would be enough to keep South Africa from being sanctioned by Western Nations. I don't see a change in support for ANC and Co from the third world. I could this demand being dropped at a later date, should the end of Apartheid negotiations still occur.

Doesn’t this constitute ethnic cleansing? Even though the Afrikaners are descended from (mostly) the Dutch I don’t think they would be at home in Europe.

Famously the Rhodesian ex pat community in Great Britain were known as Whenwes from how much they missed their African home.

Would it be possible for the repatriation of South African whites to Europe to be a demand of the Anti-Apartheid movement?
I assume this would cut down on Western opposition to Apartheid. I'm not sure if it would be enough to keep South Africa from being sanctioned by Western Nations. I don't see a change in support for ANC and Co from the third world. I could this demand being dropped at a later date, should the end of Apartheid negotiations still occur.
South Africa is becoming a failed state even faster.

First there's the gaping plot hole of this happening, but Apartheid still somehow being a thing and the west sanctioning against it. If this is happening, South African whites are totally lost, as they are being ethnically cleansed from their homeland.
More importantly, I don't think anyone of real importance, inside or outside of South Africa, would support this. Any national leaders with leadership powers and some maturity (most of them) know plain as day that Afrikaners are by now native to southern Africa. They have been there for over 300 freaking years now, almost as long as Anglos have been in North America! It is by definition impossible to repatriate people AWAY from where they belong in the first place. Now if someone has ulterior motives and advantage in removing them, they can pretend to not understand this fact. But even a strident anti-white rebel would understand the use of maintaining a white minority in the country to blame things on for everything that could go wrong (corruption, collapse of infrastructure, inflation, you name it).

First there's the gaping plot hole of this happening, but Apartheid still somehow being a thing and the west sanctioning against it.
A more extreme reaction to white minority rule isn’t going to prevent apartheid.
More importantly, I don't think anyone of real importance, inside or outside of South Africa, would support this.
One Settler One Bullet was and still is a thing. Being oppressed for centuries doesn’t make a population look favorably on its oppressors.
plain as day that Afrikaners are by now native to southern Africa.
Anecdotal speaking, the idea of Afrikaners simply being the remains of Dutch colonialism . Who should have been expelled isn’t an uncommon opinion even in other parts of the third world. I can only think of one war of national liberation which didn’t end with Europeans and descendants being expelled or fleeing.

They have been there for over 300 freaking years now, almost as long as Anglos have been in North America!
American Indians don’t make up the vast majority of the American population. The discussion around it would be quite different if that was the case.

Last edited:
Even Jacob Zuma never espoused such a scheme, and that's saying something.
Zuma wasn't a genocidaire or even much of an African nationalist, he's a corrupt tribalist Big Man. Not sure why you think he would want to deport all white South Africans.

First there's the gaping plot hole of this happening, but Apartheid still somehow being a thing and the west sanctioning against it. If this is happening, South African whites are totally lost, as they are being ethnically cleansed from their homeland.
More importantly, I don't think anyone of real importance, inside or outside of South Africa, would support this. Any national leaders with leadership powers and some maturity (most of them) know plain as day that Afrikaners are by now native to southern Africa. They have been there for over 300 freaking years now, almost as long as Anglos have been in North America! It is by definition impossible to repatriate people AWAY from where they belong in the first place. Now if someone has ulterior motives and advantage in removing them, they can pretend to not understand this fact. But even a strident anti-white rebel would understand the use of maintaining a white minority in the country to blame things on for everything that could go wrong (corruption, collapse of infrastructure, inflation, you name it).
Only about 60% of SA whites are Afrikaners, the rest are Anglos.

Where in Europe would they go?

Remember most SA whites don't have any official link to Europe, as in entitlement to a passport etc. There's no right of return.

You would have to have some country (or countries) willing to accept five million refugees.

Congratulations you gave Apartheid another 40 to 50m years life and prevented a peaceful transition. Way to go. There is no way this does not effectively justify South Africa's racism in the eyes of the West. . On any measure it is in itself racist. After all the Bantu population did not originate in South Africa., any more than the Afrikaners. The land was originally mostly inhabited by populations now driven into the most inhospitable and marginal land..

A more extreme reaction to white minority rule isn’t going to prevent apartheid.

One Settler One Bullet was and still is a thing. Being oppressed for centuries doesn’t make a population look favorably on its oppressors.

Anecdotal speaking, the idea of Afrikaners simply being the remains of Dutch colonialism . Who should have been expelled isn’t an uncommon opinion even in other parts of the third world. I can only think of one war of national liberation which didn’t end with Europeans and descendants being expelled or fleeing.

American Indians don’t make up the vast majority of the American population. The discussion around it would be quite different if that was the case.
I'm having trouble understanding the timeline here then. You're saying that while Apartheid is still in place, whites will ethnically cleanse themselves from South Africa?

Well sure, but that's logically consistent at least. Kicking them out isn't.

Yes, a not uncommon opinion in other parts of the third world, which parts don't contain leaders with any say in situation. Of course some people believe that, some people believe the Earth is flat too, I just excluded them with the first sentence of that paragraph.

I think it would be the same. Where would European Americans go? Nowhere, they belong in America. The situation for them is actually even more clear cut than South Africa's. Most of them don't even know where their ancestors came from, or they're a mix of many origins. Most South Africans at least know they're mostly of Dutch descent or British descent.

Only about 60% of SA whites are Afrikaners, the rest are Anglos.
True, I was just going with the extreme case. Anyway for the Anglo South Africans too it's their homeland. And there's no telling how many have an Afrikaner ancestor with the line going back 300 years.

Last edited:
I think it would be the same. Where would European Americans go? Nowhere, they belong in Europe. The situation for them is actually even more clear cut than South Africa's. Most of them don't even know where their ancestors came from, or they're a mix of many origins.
A fair number of Americans tend to be conginizant of their origins elsewhere. Genes tests to that effect are very popular,

A fair number of Americans tend to be conginizant of their origins elsewhere. Genes tests to that effect are very popular,
Yes, but most of them will be mohgrels, as most people who are descended from colonial settlers will be.

I myself did one of those tests and had ancestry from two populations in Africa, three in Asia, and nine in Europe. Where should I be sent back to?

For that to occur, the ANC would need to decline into complete irrelevance before it engages in armed struggle and a new hardline militant organization becomes the face of the anti-Apartheid struggle.
The ANC's strategy before the Sharpeville massacre was to pressure the government into reform and negotiations.

Trying to kickstart peacetime negotiations when one point of your program is to kick out the people you are trying to negotiate with it is not an ideal position to say the least.
The issue is that during that nonviolent stage, the ANC committed itself to idea of a non-racial South Africa

Where in Europe would they go?

Remember most SA whites don't have any official link to Europe, as in entitlement to a passport etc. There's no right of return.

You would have to have some country (or countries) willing to accept five million refugees.
I think it would be the same. Where would European Americans go? Nowhere, they belong in Europe.

To answer the legal aspect, I think European sympathy over their displacement would cause many European countries to readily give out asylum. Eventually they would transition to citizenship.

But as for where they would want to go, I think White South Africans would tend towards North Europe and the Germanic countries. Three in particular: the UK, the Netherlands, and Germany. The UK being the goto destination for Anglos, but the UK's economic stature would lure some Afrikaners.

Despite many Afrikaners having varied heritage, the Netherlands would be a top choice for them. The linguistic proximity between Afrikaans and Dutch means that Afrikaners living in the Netherlands can maintain their own Afrikaner identity but still integrate to a high degree within Dutch society. A similar story with Germany, though German is slightly less mutually intelligible.

The end of result is that Afrikaners become a diasporic people in Europe.

Last edited:
Implies a more third worldist and radical left. Would be anti-US and anti-soveit too, with calls for european colonists out of turtle island and both trans-uralic asia and siberia.

To answer the legal aspect, I think European sympathy over their displacement would cause many European countries to readily give out asylum. Eventually they would transition to citizenship.

But as for where they would want to go, I think White South Africans would tend towards North Europe and the Germanic countries. Three in particular: the UK, the Netherlands. The UK being the goto destination for Anglos, but the UK's economic stature would lure some Afrikaners.

Despite many Afrikaners having varied heritage, the Netherlands would be a top choice for them. The linguistic proximity between Afrikaans and Dutch means that Afrikaners living in the Netherlands can maintain their own Afrikaner identity but still integrate to a high degree within Dutch society. A similar story with Germany, though German is slightly less mutually intelligible.

The end of result is that Afrikaners become a diasporic people in Europe.
Yeah I think there'd be a lot more sympathy than in OTL. The countries that imposed sanctions may have (rightfully) opposed Apartheid, but they likely didn't anticipate it would lead to millions of people being kicked out of their homeland. It doesn't make them guilty of anything, but they may still feel some guilt that their sanctions led to this.

For comparison, Idi Amin, expelled South Asians from Uganda in 1972. It was a crime against humanity, and devastated the economy. But it was hardly his worst crime against humanity, or the worst damage he did to the economy.