• Different Custody

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • A Different Kind of Terror

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Voodoo (Economics) Won't Work Here

Votes: 20 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
After A Damn Foolish Thing, which post 1900 TL should I do next?

1. The Bully Pulpit: POD: June 11, 1912 What if ill health forced William Howard Taft not to run again?

2. Security, Harmony, Justice: POD: October 16, 1916 What if Charles Evans Hughes met with Hiram Johnson?

3. Boats Against the Current: POD: June 10, 1920 What if General Leonard Wood and Governor Frank Lowden reached a deal?

4. Lost Prince Found: POD: August 5,1944 What if JPK Jr. lived?

5. The Land of Smear and Grab: POD: September 27,1955 What if Eisenhower declined to run for a second term?

6. Nixon the Election: POD: May 1, 1960 What if Nixon won the 1960 election?

7. A Girl's Best Friend: POD: August 4,1962 What if Marilyn Monroe lived?

8. One Brief Shining Moment: POD: November 15, 1963 What if JFK lived?

9. The Impossible Dream: POD: June 5, 1968 What if RFK lived?

10. Fear, Loathing and Chowder on the Campaign Trail '72: POD: July 12, 1972 What if McGovern had convinced Ted Kennedy to be his running mate?

11. Trial and Confusion: POD: September 22, 1975 What if Gerald Ford had been assassinated?

12. No Soviet Domination: POD: October 6, 1976 What if Gerald Ford won the 1976 election?

13. Voodoo (Economics) Won't Work Here: POD: February 22, 1980 What if Ronald Reagan lost the 1980 primaries?

14. A Different Morning in America: POD: July 12, 1984 What if Walter Mondale was better prepared for the campaign?

15. No Monkey Business: POD: December 31, 1986 What if Gary Hart and Donna Rice never met?

16. Different Custody: POD: November 21, 1999 What if Elian Gonzalez's mother had lived?

17. A Different Kind of Terror: POD: January 5, 2000 What if the 9/11 Plot was uncovered?

Pick up to four. You have until next Saturday.

PlasmaTorch

Banned
Anyone have any comments on these?

If you decide to do story #17 (with the 911 attacks being uncovered), might I make a suggestion?

One way the 911 attacks could have been prevented was if the able danger project was taken more seriously by the DIA. Anthony shaffers data mining team identified two of the three al qaeda cells that executed the september 11th attacks. Wikipedia goes into some detail about this.

If you decide to do story #17 (with the 911 attacks being uncovered), might I make a suggestion?

One way the 911 attacks could have been prevented was if the able danger project was taken more seriously by the DIA. Anthony shaffers data mining team identified two of the three al qaeda cells that executed the september 11th attacks. Wikipedia goes into some detail about this.
I'll consider it. But I won't make plans just yet.

I would enjoy the most a "Bully Pulpit" timeline.A Teddy Roosevelt third and possibly even fourth-term presidency would radically change World War I.America would most likely enter WWI after Lusitania, but TR could mobilise the National Guard as soon as the war begun. He would most probably win reelection in 1916. American troops would arrive in time for the Battle of the Somme or at most the Nivelle Offensive and that would increase American involvement, tough you could likely see a separate American front and not a unified Allied command under Foch. I'm not going to predict further butterflies, but it would be cool if the time period of the Paris Peace Conference would not change and Roosevelt died during it, in France. This Roosevelt would look more like FDR and could even make the 22nd Amendment pass sooner, thus butterflying FDR. I have not yet cast my vote, as I have not choose all of my options.

I would enjoy the most a "Bully Pulpit" timeline.A Teddy Roosevelt third and possibly even fourth-term presidency would radically change World War I.America would most likely enter WWI after Lusitania, but TR could mobilise the National Guard as soon as the war begun. He would most probably win reelection in 1916. American troops would arrive in time for the Battle of the Somme or at most the Nivelle Offensive and that would increase American involvement, tough you could likely see a separate American front and not a unified Allied command under Foch. I'm not going to predict further butterflies, but it would be cool if the time period of the Paris Peace Conference would not change and Roosevelt died during it, in France. This Roosevelt would look more like FDR and could even make the 22nd Amendment pass sooner, thus butterflying FDR. I have not yet cast my vote, as I have not choose all of my options.
That's not what I had in mind for that one.

Any reason why?
I can't speak for Archibald, but from what I know about JPK Jr., he was more of a conservative Democrat along the same lines as his father (in particular, he had an admiration for Hitler), so it'd be interesting to see what he would do as president, and how that would affect both the Democratic Party and the Kennedy Family legacy.

Archibald

Banned
Any reason why?

Ninja'd by Heliogabalus

Not because I like the guy - he was an antisemit like his father - but because his death was pretty stupid.

They crammed an old Navy PB aircraft with all those explosives as a giant flying bomb to destroy the V-1 bunker in Pas-de-Calais.
Except the bunker was as dead as a door nail: V-1 were flying out of small ramps on the countryside, the bunker only use was a giant decoy target. Plus Lancasters with Tallboys could handle it.
And finally, the short-circuit that triggers the explosion.
No really, a stupid death.

Plus of course OTL fates of all three other brothers.
Also, I can't remember any Joe Kennedy TL on this board.
So I'm curious.
Do you plan it as a dystopia ?
Wasn't Nixon also crass with jewish stereotypes at times ?

Last edited:

Archibald

Banned
After A Damn Foolish Thing, which post 1900 TL should I do next?

1. The Bully Pulpit: POD: June 11, 1912 What if ill health forced William Howard Taft not to run again?

2. Security, Harmony, Justice: POD: October 16, 1916 What if Charles Evans Hughes met with Hiram Johnson?

3. Boats Against the Current: POD: June 10, 1920 What if General Leonard Wood and Governor Frank Lowden reached a deal?

Don't know enough U.S history.

5. The Land of Smear and Grab: POD: September 27,1955 What if Eisenhower declined to run for a second term?

6. Nixon the Election: POD: May 1, 1960 What if Nixon won the 1960 election?

Tricky Dick has been done a lot on this board. Albeit he seems to have a knack at stimulating writers brain cells and creative juices. Too much Futurama heads in jars maybe ?

7. A Girl's Best Friend: POD: August 4,1962 What if Marilyn Monroe lived?

That would be cool. The poor woman would really need to take some well deserved rest outside the sheer madness that was the United States history between 1961 and 1981. Maybe she could exile herself to France, works with the Nouvelle Vague, and enjoy Mai 68 and later, Monaco with Grace Kelly ?

8. One Brief Shining Moment: POD: November 15, 1963 What if JFK lived?

9. The Impossible Dream: POD: June 5, 1968 What if RFK lived?

"By the way, it's Kennedy" has become a meme thanks to that ongoing TL... well, you know.

10. Fear, Loathing and Chowder on the Campaign Trail '72: POD: July 12, 1972 What if McGovern had convinced Ted Kennedy to be his running mate?

Let the madness beging (albeit drew's Gumbo... well you know). But McGovern was already a walking dead, and with chapaquiddick (goddam name !) ?

16. Different Custody: POD: November 21, 1999 What if Elian Gonzalez's mother had lived?

17. A Different Kind of Terror: POD: January 5, 2000 What if the 9/11 Plot was uncovered?

these two are interesting, too.

I can't speak for Archibald, but from what I know about JPK Jr., he was more of a conservative Democrat along the same lines as his father (in particular, he had an admiration for Hitler), so it'd be interesting to see what he would do as president, and how that would affect both the Democratic Party and the Kennedy Family legacy.
It won't be good.
Ninja'd by Heliogabalus

Not because I like the guy - he was an Anti-Semite like his father - but because his death was pretty stupid.

They crammed an old Navy PB aircraft with all those explosives as a giant flying bomb to destroy the V-1 bunker in Pas-de-Calais.
Except the bunker was as dead as a door nail: V-1 were flying out of small ramps on the countryside, the bunker only use was a giant decoy target. Plus Lancasters with Tallboys could handle it.
And finally, the short-circuit that triggers the explosion.
No really, a stupid death.

Plus of course OTL fates of all three other brothers.
Also, I can't remember any Joe Kennedy TL on this board.
So I'm curious.
Do you plan it as a dystopia ?
Wasn't Nixon also crass with Jewish stereotypes at times ?
No I don't plan on making it a dystopia. And yes Nixon was crass when it came to Jewish stereotypes.
Don't know enough U.S history.
I don't think a lot of people know about this era.

Tricky Dick has been done a lot on this board. Albeit he seems to have a knack at stimulating writers brain cells and creative juices. Too much Futurama heads in jars maybe ?
Well Nixon was a lot more paranoid after his loses in '60 and '62. Therefore if he was elected earlier he would be less paranoid.

That would be cool. The poor woman would really need to take some well deserved rest outside the sheer madness that was the United States history between 1961 and 1981. Maybe she could exile herself to France, works with the Nouvelle Vague, and enjoy Mai 68 and later, Monaco with Grace Kelly ?
Maybe not head to Europe but she would certainly have a better outlook on life.

"By the way, it's Kennedy" has become a meme thanks to that ongoing TL... well, you know.
I may use that meme, if I do a TL with the Kennedys but maybe not.

Let the madness beging (albeit drew's Gumbo... well you know). But McGovern was already a walking dead, and with chapaquiddick (goddam name !) ?
Here's the thing about that: McGovern would have lose with any VP pick except Ted Kennedy. I know. Plus, after his lose in '60, Nixon was super paranoid about anything to do with the Kennedys. That might have made him careless.

these two are interesting, too.
If one of these does get chosen, and A Different Kind of Terror is well on it's way, I'll see what I can think up.